The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Little bit of an analysis on the picks in our range.

Tom Sestito

I agree with the op saying the draft can be a bit of a crap shoot after the top studs are picked. Proof is in the pudding. As far as the Nux are concerned with the up coming draft, I'm hoping they can get their hands on a sniper with some size. That being said, this organization really needs to start drafting and developing fast, puck moving d-men.

Actually Edmonton proved you can have the #1 overall pick 3 years straight and still suck.

They should have taken a d-man starting in 2012 with Ryan Murray, now they would kill for Ekblad.

Just having great picks is not enough. Detroit proves again and again along with Tampa Bay now also with the influence with Yzerman that you can still get good players later in the draft on a pretty consistent basis if you have good scouts who look for the right characteristics in players and can properly evaluate talent.

Canucks scouting needs to be way better. The second consecutive top 10 pick just helps to reduce the margin of error.

No excuses though they need to rejig who is running the scouting department and reasses what core characteristics they want in their players.

Ritchie seems like a risky pick. Could be one of those power forwards that take forever to develop (i.e. Kassian), or one of those lazy power forwards (i.e. Chris Stewart). Either way, just seems like there's this cockiness with power forwards in the NHL like they're entitled to everything cause they're "big".

I have to say of all the draft picks I've read about this one seems to fit the mould the best...Ritchie

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/07/nhl-draft-profile-6-nick-ritchie/

If we have to compete with the likes of LA, Bruins & the Ducks this is the sort of player you need

Thanks for this, great write up, and I really enjoyed watching all the videos LWOS has up on Ritchie.

They have him ranked 6th, which is the highest I have seen him rated; sure hope we get a chance to pick him.

Great shot, power skating, nice passer, but those hits...those guys didn't seem to get up, and other than letting the other guy get in the first punch he looked real good in the fights too.

Thanks again.

Thanks for this, great write up, and I really enjoyed watching all the videos LWOS has up on Ritchie.

They have him ranked 6th, which is the highest I have seen him rated; sure hope we get a chance to pick him.

Great shot, power skating, nice passer, but those hits...those guys didn't seem to get up, and other than letting the other guy get in the first punch he looked real good in the fights too.

Thanks again.

I wouldnt be upset with drafting Ritchie, but there are players that Id rather have in the top 8. Would be an enticing thought to add another monster like him into the top 9, but I also like Virtanen better. Its suggested that Virtanen is a much more versatile player, playing all 3 F postitions and in any situation and is much better at teh 200 ft game at this point in time.

Id be taking Nylander, Perlini, Virtanen, Fleury, and Ehlers ahead of Ritchie.

I sort of see Ritchie and Ehlers as an even gamble.

THough Ive been skeptical of Ehlers, the potential of having a pure offensive player with elite potential might work well with the depth of 2 way forwards we have coming along.

Also, I think most draft projections underrate Nylander. Having a 17 year old step into the SEL is not an easy task. He's one of the most cerebral players available. Patient and calculated in his decision making, elite puck handling skills and elusive in movement. We could use a prospect who plays that type of game, as the Sedin era comes to an end. Currently playing in the Allsvensskan, he's not far off Kopitars point production from the lockout, while also having 11 goals and 19 points in 17 games since re-joining Sodertalje SK, hes at the top of the league over that span.

He should be available at 6, unless Calgary takes a flyer on the hometown kid (yes, he was born and raised in Calgary), meaning one of MDC or Draisaitl drop to 6.

Hoping we draft at 6.... or 1... :bigblush:

I have to say of all the draft picks I've read about this one seems to fit the mould the best...Ritchie

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/07/nhl-draft-profile-6-nick-ritchie/

If we have to compete with the likes of LA, Bruins & the Ducks this is the sort of player you need

We already have Kassian though. How many players like that do we need? I think its better to pick a more skilled playmaker than another "tough" guy. If we are picking 6th overall, we need to pick a fast 2-way player with skills in the mould of Toewes.

We already have Kassian though. How many players like that do we need? I think its better to pick a more skilled playmaker than another "tough" guy. If we are picking 6th overall, we need to pick a fast 2-way player with skills in the mould of Toewes.

I dnt know....I like the balanced type of line that has a PF+2 way playmaker center+Finess winger

Lucic+Krecji+Eriksson

Heatly+Spezza+Alfredsson

Naslund+Morrison+Bertuzzi

Having 2 kassians would be great...just maybe not on the same line

Good future line if

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Kassian

Ritchie-Cassels-Jensen

could be 2 great balanced lines

Lucic-Krejci-Iginla has been a nightmare matchup for most teams just as was Lucic-Krejci-Horton. Nothing wrong with two PWFs on a line together especially if one is a gifted playmaker.

As for drafting a player in the mould of Toews, we did just that with our #9 overall in 2013.

Am hoping Dal Colle slips to us at 6th if we don't move up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLas6fFmHl4

The guys has speed, decent size, nice touch around the net and can SNIPE. We sorely lack a sniper on this team and he can also make plays too. Plus, he is a teammate of our 2013 pick, Cole Cassels. Hopefully we can land this guy. Imagine Shinkaruk-Cassels-Dal Colle line in the future :bigblush:

Ritchie looks a little overweight to be honest.but at the end of the day you have to pick the best player available, or at least the player that holds the most value around the league and we all know teams get a hardon for big players. There's nothing stopping us from drafting Ritchie and trading him for a more skilled young player later..

Ritchie looks a little overweight to be honest.but at the end of the day you have to pick the best player available, or at least the player that holds the most value around the league and we all know teams get a hardon for big players. There's nothing stopping us from drafting Ritchie and trading him for a more skilled young player later..

I'd want a sniper and a playmaker. We are lacking those elements on our roster. We already have Kassian and Jensen as two big guys but we sorely lack a sniper and another playmaker like Henrik Sedin. We have a lot of gritty, north and sound skating guys and it would be pretty redundant if we keep drafting the same type of players.

I'd want a sniper and a playmaker. We are lacking those elements on our roster. We already have Kassian and Jensen as two big guys but we sorely lack a sniper and another playmaker like Henrik Sedin. We have a lot of gritty, north and sound skating guys and it would be pretty redundant if we keep drafting the same type of players.

Ritchie can snipe the puck and is also a playmaker. He runs the number 1 power play unit for the Pete's and is considered to have the deadliest wrist shot in the draft this year .

Archived