The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Cassels, Horvat, Fox, Shinkaruk make the Canucks better next season?

vladimirpuck

We really don't want them here for good reason. I'll list them

1. This team is very center/LW heavy. There is literally no room. Horvat or Gaunce MAY make it but that is truly it.

2. Our current core needs to be examined and allowed to attempt to play a full uninjured season under Torts as well as showcased for potential trades

3. We have not had this kind of prospect pool in a long time and due to the varying ages of all of our available prospects are better served right now staying in the CHL or moving to the AHL is available

4. As we just started our own prospect development team in the AHL in Utica, we owe it to that team and its fans to develop our players soundly. Development never hurt anyone, in fact rushing players does the exact opposite. Gaunce, Horvat and Jensen have the size to transcend that where as Brule, Nugent-Hopkins and more didn't. no development cost them that learning curve and caused injuries

Now to the players.

Gaunce: Is slow off the start but has the skills and intelligence necessary to move into a 3rd line roll. Who will he take over for though? Ricardson, Santorelli, Matthias, Kesler, Schroeder, Sedin, Lain? For these reasons he deserves to go in to the AHL and start playing against men and growing with our other prospects

Horvat: Deserves to make the jump to the NHL but not based on his skill, based on the fact another year in the CHL will literally do him no good. He is a shut down and playoff beast and has little to nothing to prove in the CHL anymore. Maybe another kick at the WJC but that is it. It is his age not his ability that dictates he should move into the NHL as he would be better served spending a full year or two in Utica learning with his new teammates

Shinkaruk: Due to his injury he missed the WJC and was obviously hampered enough that he didn't make the team out of training camp. He is as solid a winger as he is a potential center. But that injury by all accounts caused him issues to end last season, this season and all the rest. As someone pointed out he looked bored and popped in more than a PPG in the uber defensive WHL on one leg. Due to his injury he needs to sit a year in the AHL to recoup and learn what it means to play against men on a regular basis. Playing with Gaunce will help him

Fox: So many good things to like right? To many in fact. This is the exact type of player you groom and do not rush. While his 18th and 19th years in the world saw him netting almost a ppg, he has had 1 total break out year over a PPG and this is it. We need to develop this kid slowly, 1 maybe 2 full years in the AHL with Gaunce, Grenier, Archibald, Shinkaruk etc will do this kid more good than I think most people consider. it will temper his and fans expectations and give us a much better idea as to what type of player we have as he grows.

Cassels: He is barely 18 ish if I recall, he will spend that next year in the CHL again out of the shadow of Dal Colle, Laughton etc (teammates?) and we will see what kind of player he is as equally skilled or more skilled players leave his team. It happened to Gaunce in Belleville and he still had almost a PPG while still maintaining a decent +/- on one of the worst teams in the OHL. Cassels might be our most intriguing C prospect as nobody can guess his ceiling from his draft position. He will spend another year in the CHL and then deservedly so move in to the AH: with some of our other prospects.

This is only the players named in your list, there are more to write about. Development is key right now with this team. Playing with the core we have and slowly slotting in rookies is the way to go. So we might be bad next year, Islanders bad maybe....not a bad thing for a team on the rebound. We all knew this year would be an aberration. Just a shame it isn't a heavier draft year. Horvat should make the team next year possibly with Corrado, Stanton, Tanev, Jensen, Archibald and potentially Lain sharing full time and part time duties as the proverbial new kids.

This is about what we can hope for as anything else would stink of desperation from the team itself.

So repeat after me. Develop Develop Develop

I believe only HORVAT and JENSEN will make the team next year and SCHROEDER will either be traded or sent down. Not making any predictions on KESLER. With all the cap space we have I think we should keep BOOTH, one thing this organization doesn't have is depth as we seen this year with all the injuries. We have significant cap space going forward to bring in at least one or two quality UFAs. This will allow for HANSEN to be on the fourth line where he belongs and HIGGINS on the third where he should be.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Not even Gretzky Lemieux Orr or Crosby helped a team to a Stanley cup in a prominent role during their rookie year.

Horvat will be on the team unless he has a terrible camp because he is too good for junior and his game requires him to take his lumps against men learning a very difficult 2 way game at the NHL level. He is ineligible for Utica.

Shinkaruk will play in Utica because he is eligible and he looked bored more than anything in the WHL. Gaunce will also be in Utica as will Fox to start out. Cassells will be in junior.

Patience is the key .

heeeey look some common sense and research done here. pay close attention kids.

Not very good research, Gretzky was never a rookie in the NHL...

:bigblush:

We really don't want them here for good reason. I'll list them

1. This team is very center/LW heavy. There is literally no room. Horvat or Gaunce MAY make it but that is truly it.

2. Our current core needs to be examined and allowed to attempt to play a full uninjured season under Torts as well as showcased for potential trades

3. We have not had this kind of prospect pool in a long time and due to the varying ages of all of our available prospects are better served right now staying in the CHL or moving to the AHL is available

4. As we just started our own prospect development team in the AHL in Utica, we owe it to that team and its fans to develop our players soundly. Development never hurt anyone, in fact rushing players does the exact opposite. Gaunce, Horvat and Jensen have the size to transcend that where as Brule, Nugent-Hopkins and more didn't. no development cost them that learning curve and caused injuries

Now to the players.

Gaunce: Is slow off the start but has the skills and intelligence necessary to move into a 3rd line roll. Who will he take over for though? Ricardson, Santorelli, Matthias, Kesler, Schroeder, Sedin, Lain? For these reasons he deserves to go in to the AHL and start playing against men and growing with our other prospects

Horvat: Deserves to make the jump to the NHL but not based on his skill, based on the fact another year in the CHL will literally do him no good. He is a shut down and playoff beast and has little to nothing to prove in the CHL anymore. Maybe another kick at the WJC but that is it. It is his age not his ability that dictates he should move into the NHL as he would be better served spending a full year or two in Utica learning with his new teammates

Shinkaruk: Due to his injury he missed the WJC and was obviously hampered enough that he didn't make the team out of training camp. He is as solid a winger as he is a potential center. But that injury by all accounts caused him issues to end last season, this season and all the rest. As someone pointed out he looked bored and popped in more than a PPG in the uber defensive WHL on one leg. Due to his injury he needs to sit a year in the AHL to recoup and learn what it means to play against men on a regular basis. Playing with Gaunce will help him

Fox: So many good things to like right? To many in fact. This is the exact type of player you groom and do not rush. While his 18th and 19th years in the world saw him netting almost a ppg, he has had 1 total break out year over a PPG and this is it. We need to develop this kid slowly, 1 maybe 2 full years in the AHL with Gaunce, Grenier, Archibald, Shinkaruk etc will do this kid more good than I think most people consider. it will temper his and fans expectations and give us a much better idea as to what type of player we have as he grows.

Cassels: He is barely 18 ish if I recall, he will spend that next year in the CHL again out of the shadow of Dal Colle, Laughton etc (teammates?) and we will see what kind of player he is as equally skilled or more skilled players leave his team. It happened to Gaunce in Belleville and he still had almost a PPG while still maintaining a decent +/- on one of the worst teams in the OHL. Cassels might be our most intriguing C prospect as nobody can guess his ceiling from his draft position. He will spend another year in the CHL and then deservedly so move in to the AH: with some of our other prospects.

This is only the players named in your list, there are more to write about. Development is key right now with this team. Playing with the core we have and slowly slotting in rookies is the way to go. So we might be bad next year, Islanders bad maybe....not a bad thing for a team on the rebound. We all knew this year would be an aberration. Just a shame it isn't a heavier draft year. Horvat should make the team next year possibly with Corrado, Stanton, Tanev, Jensen, Archibald and potentially Lain sharing full time and part time duties as the proverbial new kids.

This is about what we can hope for as anything else would stink of desperation from the team itself.

So repeat after me. Develop Develop Develop

Can I get an Amen-ah!

I think Cole Cassels, Bo Horvat, Dane Fox, and Hunter Shinkaruk will help the Canucks but I am wondering if they will be able to help this team right away next season. Will they help get this team into the playoffs next season or is that unrealistic?

Just because we have some prospects doesn't mean we are better off than other teams in this area. Right now our team and development process is way, way behind the teams we are now chasing.

Please put them in the AHL! This team needs to start taking development seriously. I was at the Wings-Leafs game last night and was so impressed with all the young guys on Detroit. And all those players save for Danny DeKeyser spent significant time in Grand Rapids. And they aren't 19-20. Nyquist is 24, Tatar 23, Jurco 21, Sheahan 22.

Give them some time to develop. Plugging them into this current mess and expecting them to turn it around does little for the long term. Patience is more often than not rewarded in player development.

THIS!! Let's be patient and stock up on quality prospects.

Bobby Orr may not have lead his team into the playoffs his first year.

But the team went from 17 wins in Orr's rookie season in 1966-67.

To 37 wins in year two with Orr and into the playoffs in 1967-68. (Both seasons were only 70 games long by the way)

If we can get Horvat and Shinkaruk or Fox to step in and provide some offence, things would improve.

This was a write off year for every player. Next year can't be worse.

As much as I like Tort's as a person, I'm just not sure he's the right dude for the gig.

I don't think Shinkaruk will make Utica, he lost almost a whole season due to injury and will need to reboot his development back in Medicine Hat. Coming back from a serious injury like that, I don't seem him making the team full time until 2016/17 at the least.

I don't think Shinkaruk will make Utica, he lost almost a whole season due to injury and will need to reboot his development back in Medicine Hat. Coming back from a serious injury like that, I don't seem him making the team full time until 2016/17 at the least.

is he even eligible to play in jrs next year?

"Horvat will probably make it as a third-line center next year."

- I don't expect any of those players to make the NHL lineup next year. If Horvat was to make it, he'd have to beat out Richardson, Mathias, and presumably Santorelli. Can't see it happening.

I don't think anybody will be disappointed with Horvat next season, except for those who expect him to put up huge numbers.

Give Gaunce a year or two in the AHL so he can improve on some areas of his game

If shinkaruk can put on a few pounds, he'll be a god. He has sweet hands and natural talents

Cassels won't be in the lineup for a few years

"Horvat will probably make it as a third-line center next year."

- I don't expect any of those players to make the NHL lineup next year. If Horvat was to make it, he'd have to beat out Richardson, Mathias, and presumably Santorelli. Can't see it happening.

centers can play wing you know... like kesler did for half this year

Not very good research, Gretzky was never a rookie in the NHL...

:bigblush:

. I was actually there. No doubt before you were born. It was his first year. He did not help the Oilers win the cup that year.

You dont know what you are talking about. Split the hair of calling it a 'rookie' or first year NHL player to be a troll all you want.

The owners need to get some better people running their team. Since the 2011 cup final they have not addressed the obvious deficiencies, but made it worse by hiring a coach that doesn't get it, and thinks blocking shots is the way to win. The team is weak in all areas and now the fans will have had enough I think.

I think Cole Cassels, Bo Horvat, Dane Fox, and Hunter Shinkaruk will help the Canucks but I am wondering if they will be able to help this team right away next season. Will they help get this team into the playoffs next season or is that unrealistic?

All these guys are better off spending a year together in the AHL. Get to know each other, have some success, and then graduate to the big club.

Please put them in the AHL! This team needs to start taking development seriously. I was at the Wings-Leafs game last night and was so impressed with all the young guys on Detroit. And all those players save for Danny DeKeyser spent significant time in Grand Rapids. And they aren't 19-20. Nyquist is 24, Tatar 23, Jurco 21, Sheahan 22.

Give them some time to develop. Plugging them into this current mess and expecting them to turn it around does little for the long term. Patience is more often than not rewarded in player development.

The problem is the Vancouver Media and the Canucks Fans. If a player spends more than a year in the AHL and they don't get called up, it means they should be traded or the organization hates them.

While Detroit leaves their players in Grand Rapids and their Fans/Media don't say anything.

. I was actually there. No doubt before you were born. It was his first year. He did not help the Oilers win the cup that year.

You dont know what you are talking about. Split the hair of calling it a 'rookie' or first year NHL player to be a troll all you want.

If you were there then you know Gretzky played his rookie season in the WHA in the 1978-79 season. Kinda hard to win a Stanley Cup in a different league. Unless we're talking the AVCO cup? Now technically Gretzky did lead the Oilers to the WHA finals in 1978-79. So if you want to get technical he did lead his team to the finals but they lost against the Winnipeg Jets.

The problem is the Vancouver Media and the Canucks Fans. If a player spends more than a year in the AHL and they don't get called up, it means they should be traded or the organization hates them.

While Detroit leaves their players in Grand Rapids and their Fans/Media don't say anything.

Here we go; its the media's fault the Canucks suck. Thats what politicians do: blame the media.

Archived