The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Cassels, Horvat, Fox, Shinkaruk make the Canucks better next season?

vladimirpuck

Please put them in the AHL! This team needs to start taking development seriously. I was at the Wings-Leafs game last night and was so impressed with all the young guys on Detroit. And all those players save for Danny DeKeyser spent significant time in Grand Rapids. And they aren't 19-20. Nyquist is 24, Tatar 23, Jurco 21, Sheahan 22.

Give them some time to develop. Plugging them into this current mess and expecting them to turn it around does little for the long term. Patience is more often than not rewarded in player development.

Plus one for saying the right thing but sometimes, if a player really is good/ready, then nothing should stop the team from giving the young guys the chance to play in the NHL right away.

As to the OP's question, it's doubtful that these young guys will make an immediate impact. However, they will make a difference. Until recently, the players on this team had something to play for, the roster spots, larger contracts, and so on. However, with guaranteed roster spots and long term contracts signed, the players aren't playing as hard as they used to.

Take a look at a player like Belesky for Ducks. All of our guys played hard, in your nose style of game that earned them reputation as most hated team to play against. How about now? All Burrows did yesterday was to kill momentum by taking penalties. What about Kesler? Hansen was good because he was playing with some fire after being demoted to the fourth line.

Inject some youth then right away, some of the roster spots are no longer guaranteed. Take Hansen for example again. He is one of the better 3rd liner in the league and probably one of the best 4th liner. He played with a lot of fire in yesterday's game after many games of inconsistency. Once the younger guys come in, the older guys will realize that they will have to play hard to keep their spots on the team and that may just be enough of a difference maker to push this team into the playoffs.

But having said that, don't expect Horvat and Shinkaruk to come in and be like McKinnon this year. If they can be like McKinnon and score 30 goals, 60 points, that would be great but the chances are, they won't.

The Canucks needs to roll 4 lines next season instead of attempting to play Sedins 18+ min a night.

That means Gaunce Horvat and Fox will all be playing to start the year with Fox being sent down to utica if he isn't hot.

Gaunce and Horvat are infinitely better than Sestito and Booth just freaking watch.

Cassels in OHL, Shinkaruk traded to Anaheim for Ottawa's pick.

If anyone should make it, it's Horvat

He has nothing left to learn in jr.

Horvat and Shinkaruk. They'll be scoring to many goals.

So far, I'd say this:

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - JENSEN

BOOTH - MATTHIAS - KASSIAN

SHINKARUK - HORVAT - HANSEN

SESTITO - RICHARDSON - ARCHIBALD

And acquire a major 1D piece; Weber, Byfugglien, Phaneuf or someone much younger but with mass potential.

So far, I'd say this:

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - BURROWS

SHINKARUK - HORVAT - JENSEN

BOOTH - RICHARDSON - KASSIAN

SESTITO - SANTORELLI - ARCHIBALD

And acquire a major 1D piece; Weber, Byfugglien, Phaneuf or someone much younger but with mass potential.

Please no just no no no oh god no

We really don't want them here for good reason. I'll list them

1. This team is very center/LW heavy. There is literally no room. Horvat or Gaunce MAY make it but that is truly it.

2. Our current core needs to be examined and allowed to attempt to play a full uninjured season under Torts as well as showcased for potential trades

3. We have not had this kind of prospect pool in a long time and due to the varying ages of all of our available prospects are better served right now staying in the CHL or moving to the AHL is available

4. As we just started our own prospect development team in the AHL in Utica, we owe it to that team and its fans to develop our players soundly. Development never hurt anyone, in fact rushing players does the exact opposite. Gaunce, Horvat and Jensen have the size to transcend that where as Brule, Nugent-Hopkins and more didn't. no development cost them that learning curve and caused injuries

Now to the players.

Gaunce: Is slow off the start but has the skills and intelligence necessary to move into a 3rd line roll. Who will he take over for though? Ricardson, Santorelli, Matthias, Kesler, Schroeder, Sedin, Lain? For these reasons he deserves to go in to the AHL and start playing against men and growing with our other prospects

Horvat: Deserves to make the jump to the NHL but not based on his skill, based on the fact another year in the CHL will literally do him no good. He is a shut down and playoff beast and has little to nothing to prove in the CHL anymore. Maybe another kick at the WJC but that is it. It is his age not his ability that dictates he should move into the NHL as he would be better served spending a full year or two in Utica learning with his new teammates

Shinkaruk: Due to his injury he missed the WJC and was obviously hampered enough that he didn't make the team out of training camp. He is as solid a winger as he is a potential center. But that injury by all accounts caused him issues to end last season, this season and all the rest. As someone pointed out he looked bored and popped in more than a PPG in the uber defensive WHL on one leg. Due to his injury he needs to sit a year in the AHL to recoup and learn what it means to play against men on a regular basis. Playing with Gaunce will help him

Fox: So many good things to like right? To many in fact. This is the exact type of player you groom and do not rush. While his 18th and 19th years in the world saw him netting almost a ppg, he has had 1 total break out year over a PPG and this is it. We need to develop this kid slowly, 1 maybe 2 full years in the AHL with Gaunce, Grenier, Archibald, Shinkaruk etc will do this kid more good than I think most people consider. it will temper his and fans expectations and give us a much better idea as to what type of player we have as he grows.

Cassels: He is barely 18 ish if I recall, he will spend that next year in the CHL again out of the shadow of Dal Colle, Laughton etc (teammates?) and we will see what kind of player he is as equally skilled or more skilled players leave his team. It happened to Gaunce in Belleville and he still had almost a PPG while still maintaining a decent +/- on one of the worst teams in the OHL. Cassels might be our most intriguing C prospect as nobody can guess his ceiling from his draft position. He will spend another year in the CHL and then deservedly so move in to the AH: with some of our other prospects.

This is only the players named in your list, there are more to write about. Development is key right now with this team. Playing with the core we have and slowly slotting in rookies is the way to go. So we might be bad next year, Islanders bad maybe....not a bad thing for a team on the rebound. We all knew this year would be an aberration. Just a shame it isn't a heavier draft year. Horvat should make the team next year possibly with Corrado, Stanton, Tanev, Jensen, Archibald and potentially Lain sharing full time and part time duties as the proverbial new kids.

This is about what we can hope for as anything else would stink of desperation from the team itself.

So repeat after me. Develop Develop Develop

What this guy said. I was gonna post something long like this but this guy already did i agree with all yo analysis especially Fox. The guy is a steal, am very excited about him

Posting again as the only way I see even Horvat making this team is if Matthias is shifted to the wing or if Horvat plays wing. I think a very interesting line for next year would include Horvat, Matthias and Santorelli (if signed). All are natural centers but I am pretty certain that Santo could move to the wing if Horvat can't. Matthias can play any forward position so that is always good.

I think Horvat would have very good mentors around him to make the jump next year. I think Richardson is a guy that not a lot of people give enough credit to. The things I have heard from Torts for example, it feels like he is very good with the kids coming up and helping them be professionals (like the case of Kassian)

I think Horvat absolutley should be on the team next year since he has nothing else to prove in the CHL. It wouldn't hurt his development but it would just add another year onto his career.

Bottom sixers next year is in huge abundance. Richardson, Matthias, Santorelli, Hansen, Higgins (really should be), Booth(?), Sestito, Lain, Zalewski (?), Archibald. Horvat will have a hard time getting past some of those names but if he performs in camp he should more than certainly get a job in Vancouver.

Without any signings or trades I think I would like to see the line up like this next year:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Kassian

Matthias - Horvat - Santo

Archibald - Richardson - Hansen

So far, I'd say this:

Why are your proposals always so incredibly atrocious?

That's a serious question.

Posting again as the only way I see even Horvat making this team is if Matthias is shifted to the wing or if Horvat plays wing. I think a very interesting line for next year would include Horvat, Matthias and Santorelli (if signed). All are natural centers but I am pretty certain that Santo could move to the wing if Horvat can't. Matthias can play any forward position so that is always good.

I think Horvat would have very good mentors around him to make the jump next year. I think Richardson is a guy that not a lot of people give enough credit to. The things I have heard from Torts for example, it feels like he is very good with the kids coming up and helping them be professionals (like the case of Kassian)

I think Horvat absolutley should be on the team next year since he has nothing else to prove in the CHL. It wouldn't hurt his development but it would just add another year onto his career.

Bottom sixers next year is in huge abundance. Richardson, Matthias, Santorelli, Hansen, Higgins (really should be), Booth(?), Sestito, Lain, Zalewski (?), Archibald. Horvat will have a hard time getting past some of those names but if he performs in camp he should more than certainly get a job in Vancouver.

Without any signings or trades I think I would like to see the line up like this next year:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Any thoughts on Jensen's future here?

regards,

G.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Assuming, again, that no trades are made, and Santo is resigned:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Kesler Santorelli

Kassian Matthias Jensen

Richardson Horvat Hansen

The bottom 6 would basically share minutes equally. I think most teams would have a hard time matching that type of depth. Also, there's 6 guys that can play Center in that line up. My only point of wonder is whether Kassian can play the left side. I really like the trio of Kass Matthias and Jensen. I think they would be a very good offensive grinding third line, whereas the 4th line would be a great shutdown line with scoring potential.

The Canucks needs to roll 4 lines next season instead of attempting to play Sedins 18+ min a night.

That means Gaunce Horvat and Fox will all be playing to start the year with Fox being sent down to utica if he isn't hot.

Gaunce and Horvat are infinitely better than Sestito and Booth just freaking watch.

Cassels in OHL, Shinkaruk traded to Anaheim for Ottawa's pick.

Merci, I like your playoff tracker (despite whatever "60-70% in faceoffs" is supposed to mean) but between you pretending to know where these players will be next year, and Me's crazy ass prescriptions to bring a guy like the 49 million dollar Pylon here, there is sure a lot of entertainment value here.

So far, I'd say this:

what more could you expect from a great member.

Yeah, his comments about our prospects are pretty negative. I'm excited about them, but BanTSN seems to hate them all or most of them...

I agree... he's a complete total huge memberhead when it comes to our prospects, their potential or even comparables :rolleyes:

Horvat: Deserves to make the jump to the NHL but not based on his skill, based on the fact another year in the CHL will literally do him no good. He is a shut down and playoff beast and has little to nothing to prove in the CHL anymore. Maybe another kick at the WJC but that is it. It is his age not his ability that dictates he should move into the NHL as he would be better served spending a full year or two in Utica learning with his new teammates.

I agree with everything you said except this part. I've never agreed with the notion an extra year in junior does a player no good. Although it would be preferable to have him in the AHL playing against men, the extra year in junior still has some benefits. It's and extra year of physical and mental maturity, and an extra year of skills honing and confidence building. None of that is a waste of the time spent in my opinion.

do they make us better ?? can they make us worse ? i think they will make this team no matter what .. its imperitive that they do ..

lets hope they light a fire under some of the cores butts ..

we won't know till they try ... big jump coming to the nhl .. I think we will be surprised either way ..

U usually don't get an elite player in the draft unless you are picking top 3-5.

What? I think I can name one player from each team who is elite and yet not drafted in the top 5 (except Buffalo, Calgary, and Edmonton). Unless by Elite, you are referring to Crosby, Lemieux, Jagr level.

To name a few:

Lundquvist, Karlsson, Subban, Weber, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kesler, Bergeron, Chara, Kopitar, Getzlaf, Perry...

What? I think I can name one player from each team who is elite and yet not drafted in the top 5 (except Buffalo, Calgary, and Edmonton). Unless by Elite, you are referring to Crosby, Lemieux, Jagr level.

To name a few:

Lundquvist, Karlsson, Subban, Weber, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kesler, Bergeron, Chara, Kopitar, Getzlaf, Perry...

I should have said elite prospect.

He's saying none of the guys in the title are going to be elite, but he doesn't know that, no one does, no one thought some of the guys you listed would be.

Can Horvat be elite like a Bergeron or Kesler, could Shinkaruk be a big goal scorer? Sure.

Both could happen, but these guys aren't the can't miss names like a Drouin or a McDavid, or whoever. And those are the guys he's criticizing us of not having. And you don't get those guys unless you are picking high.

I guess should have explained what I meant by "elite player" better.

I agree with everything you said except this part. I've never agreed with the notion an extra year in junior does a player no good. Although it would be preferable to have him in the AHL playing against men, the extra year in junior still has some benefits. It's and extra year of physical and mental maturity, and an extra year of skills honing and confidence building. None of that is a waste of the time spent in my opinion.

In this case it is Baggins. Horvat is 6ft, 205 pounds and is one of the most mature players in the draft. In fact he was considered the best 2 way player in the whole draft.

He played junior this year because we were supposed to contend and his team was guaranteed a spot in the Memorial cup. With my GM hat on, his next step in development is playing 10min a night up here in a checking role.

Archived