The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

John Tortorella's track record

DeNiro

So looking at Tortorella's coaching history, it would seem there's a trend of having success in his 4th year.

He did it with Tampa missing the playoffs his first two years, losing in the second round in the third year, and then winning the cup in the 4th.

With New York he lost in the first round his first year, missed the playoffs his second year, lost in the first round his third year, and then made it to the conference finals his 4th year.

So if this is year one, based on the trend we may end up with a couple more years of sucking as he builds up the team and it's culture before we have any success.

Are fans okay with a couple more years of missing the playoffs or first round exits if it means we have a contender in 3 years?

2015/2016 draft success I would consider as beneficial to this team as making the playoffs right now for the future.

If Torts can be given free run of the team for 2 or three more seasons and we have a top 5 or 10 pick (or even a lottery win) in any or both of those two years we will have given him the time he needs to move out non performers and slackers in the current roster and a few season to work with the youth we have, which has always been one of his strong points.

Added again another strong draft or two with a couple of solid 1st round picks will help this team in the long run so much more than yet another 1st round spanking.

So looking at Tortorella's coaching history, it would seem there's a trend of having success in his 4th year.

He did it with Tampa missing the playoffs his first two years, losing in the second round in the third year, and then winning the cup in the 4th.

With New York he lost in the first round his first year, missed the playoffs his second year, lost in the first round his third year, and then made it to the conference finals his 4th year.

So if this is year one, based on the trend we may end up with a couple more years of sucking as he builds up the team and it's culture before we have any success.

Are fans okay with a couple more years of missing the playoffs or first round exits if it means we have a contender in 3 years?

Torts was brought in to get this core group back to contention. If he isn't the guy for that, it will be longer than 4 years as the personnel will be completely different 4 years from now with most of this core retired or moved.

I am not convinced his collapsing defensive strategy and shot-blocking fetish is going to succeed long-term, certainly not with the group he has. Injuries have killed this team this year and his playing style invites injury particularly from his best players who get silly minutes and who are being asked to take on roles that put them at risk. Not sustainable.

I sincerely hope the league finds a way to deter what has now become a game of "goalie" instead of "hockey". Torts does not appear to have any other tricks and 4 years is too long an experiment.

Torts was brought in to get this core group back to contention. If he isn't the guy for that, it will be longer than 4 years as the personnel will be completely different 4 years from now with most of this core retired or moved.

Who knows what ownership is thinking? Maybe he was brought in to help usher out the old core while bringing in and developing players who can play his brand of hockey.

The reality of the Western conference is you can't win without big bodies and stifling defensive play. We're seeing those teams rise to the top, and unless the Canucks get on board they're going to continue to fall behind.

I know I am but I have a lot more patience than others. I find other ways to cheer for the team rather than they MUST win or cry myself to sleep. In fact, we need to draft in the top 5 hopefully next year.

I guess its a product of being raised on the 1977 to 91 teams ;)

Sorry DeNiro but I'm not buying that.

I think the team needs a coach who's willing to help the young guys coming up, willing to live with the growing pains as it were. Torts isn't that guy! I see Torts as the guy beating the dead horse.

The thing is he did that in Tampa though.

He was patient with a young team, and helped develop guys like Lecavalier and Richards into one of the best lines in the league.

That team that won the cup was molded by Tortorella. I don't know about you, but I'm willing to be patient in order to mold this team into a gritty playoff team like he had in New York and Tampa.

I'm going to hold off on making the call on Torts until somewhere around this time next season. I think he deserves a mulligan for this season, due to the Canucks' injury situation and the fact that there had to be a huge adjustment coming from the East coast to the West coast.

However, if the Canucks are relatively healthy, but still showing disturbing trends such a surrendering third period leads, I might feel differently.

I'd say a sample size of two means... not much.

But it makes sense when you think about it.

4 years is enough time to clear out some bad contracts, and develop your 20 year old rookies into impact players.

It also takes a coach to the last year of his contract based on typical deals. And just like players, a coach is going to put his best effort in during a contract year.

I'd say a sample size of two means... not much.

A sample size of 2, yes, but over a span of 8 years. Realistically, how large of a sample size would be sufficient, or even possible?

In this particular case, a coach that has coached a whole bunch of different teams would likely had to have been fired a bunch of times. It's not viable to look at the data in the traditional statistical measure since there's no way to get a sample size that will satisfy the parameters.

Back on topic, I have the patience to wait and see. Most fans don't, and that comes back to the fact that this team has been a top team for a long time, and a lot of fans haven't been cheering for this team for long enough to remember the dark years.

I would like the Canucks to win the cup before I'm an old man, though. <_<

A sample size of 2, yes, but over a span of 8 years. Realistically, how large of a sample size would be sufficient, or even possible?

In this particular case, a coach that has coached a whole bunch of different teams would likely had to have been fired a bunch of times. It's not viable to look at the data in the traditional statistical measure since there's no way to get a sample size that will satisfy the parameters.

Without even taking statistics into account, just look at any coach who takes over a team. It typically takes a few years to get the team rolling, and to get the players to buy into a system.

Without even taking statistics into account, just look at any coach who takes over a team. It typically takes a few years to get the team rolling, and to get the players to buy into a system.

Absolutely, I agree with you. It's extremely rare to see a coach pick up the reins and run with it right away. Daryl Sutter in LA is the exception, not the norm.

Archived