The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

John Tortorella's track record

DeNiro

Without even taking statistics into account, just look at any coach who takes over a team. It typically takes a few years to get the team rolling, and to get the players to buy into a system.

Patrick Roy,Dan Bylsma and Darryl Sutter says hi...

Kesler may still be injured, but does he look like a leader on this team right now?

Does he look like a guy that's trying to put his team on his back and do whatever it takes to make the playoffs? When was the last time you remember him driving the net, or parking himself right in the dirty areas in front of the net?

It looks to me like he's trying to stay healthy so that he can be traded in the summer.

Kesler may still be injured, but does he look like a leader on this team right now?

Does he look like a guy that's trying to put his team on his back and do whatever it takes to make the playoffs? When was the last time you remember him driving the net, or parking himself right in the dirty areas in front of the net?

It looks to me like he's trying to stay healthy so that he can be traded in the summer.

I think its time to start calling him SLEEPMODE.

Potted a few goals in 5 games? Time to disappear for 20.

Sorta carried a team vs a really crappy one, in one playoff series 3 years ago? Yeah...

The thing is, in looking at that perhaps he tweaks things along the way (too), it may be too early to tell what his game plan is? He likely perfects things and compresses them in a learning as he goes way? Like his coaching style may develop and change over the years as he figures out what work/doesn't work?

I am not ok...I am impatient. I want every year to be great and a chance to win. I know that overhauls may require patience, I just don't have any.

I also think that there are variables in place that mean each team/year is different - injuries being a big part of things. Obviously, if a full line up is in place and able to play/practice then you can iron out kinks and have the team learn a game plan quicker than if there are missing parts.

I don't think we can make assessments on coaches as they move around - teams are different and, although he likely he has the same mindset on what works, I believe what I heard is that he's also one to figure it out as he goes and adjust as necessary. See who's hot, what's working, what's not.

I like and am behind him. I feel strongly that the sample size hasn't been large enough to decide and want to see how next year goes. The first year is getting to know your players - earning their respect and seeing the chemistry, etc.

Patrick Roy says hi...

Key word being "typically".

Patrick Roy is getting the same fortunes as Marc Crawford right now, which is receiving a team with a ridiculous amount of young talent set up to compete now.

You can give credit to the GM more than Roy.

I think its time to start calling him SLEEPMODE.

Potted a few goals in 5 games? Time to disappear for 20.

Sorta carried a team vs a really crappy one, in one playoff series 3 years ago? Yeah...

But around the league he's still perceived as a "beast".

Which I'll agree he does play tough defensive minutes, and can shut down some of the best players in the league still. But the games where he takes over and goes into beast mode are getting farther and farther apart.

Which is why the Canucks need to be bold and get something for him while his value is high. Much like when we traded Bertuzzi for Luongo and changed the franchises fortunes, they need to do the same now.

I'd agree with that. Just because he's had two coaching jobs were he happened to get further in his 4th year than he had previously doesn't really make it a trend.

No, but when you look at other coaching trends, the third or fourth years typically see the most success.

There are factors for why this happens other than it just being a coincidence.

well i knew at the start of the season we weren't going to see anything special. i guess in december there was hope. personally, i'd give torts anther shot because what choice does the team have? changing coaches every year the team does bad, just because the fans are unhappy, just messes with the players when you start having a revolving door of coaching staff

i do believe torts is the right guy for this team, but more with the younger players being brought up. if vigs couldn't get a cup out of our old core, then no one will, and now it's 2014; everyone's older and slower. torts has the passion, he has the experience and can be patient with the young guys, knowing his role.

next season would be a better sample of his work-- seeing how he's learned to adapt to the western conference and how much more tougher it is than the east

If Torts stays, the core needs to be weeded out. Familiarity breeds contempt and this year there has been signs that what was a team all striving together and learning while supporting each other has turned into a core that is critical of those not pulling their weight and resentment has replaced camaraderie.

Lots of words spoken and "glares" on the bench, particularly from Kesler this year that would indicate the relationships aren't what they were. Maybe its the players disconnecting from Gillis or Torts, who knows?

It is obvious that this core is not built to compete in the west. Perhaps the question should be, "do the fans trust Torts to re-build this team and are they comfortable having him mold the playing style of our young players?

next season would be a better sample of his work-- seeing how he's learned to adapt to the western conference and how much more tougher it is than the east

Exactly.

This year is more of a learning year for him when I think about it.

Certain strategies that may have worked in Tampa and New York will not work in Vancouver. The West coast teams don't get the comfort of limited travel within their division and sleeping in their own beds most nights. The Canucks schedule is a brutal grind, and the West is tougher physically than it has probably ever been.

That's why you can't burn out your stars with tough minutes in the first half of the season. You gotta be able to rely on your third and fourth lines to carry some of the load. And sitting back and letting your D-men block shots is only gonna equal injury. This teams needs to push the pace and make sure they're playing in the other teams end more than our own.

Exactly.

This year is more of a learning year for him when I think about it.

Certain strategies that may have worked in Tampa and New York will not work in Vancouver. The West coast teams don't get the comfort of limited travel within their division and sleeping in their own beds most nights. The Canucks schedule is a brutal grind, and the West is tougher physically than it has probably ever been.

That's why you can't burn out your stars with tough minutes in the first half of the season. You gotta be able to rely on your third and fourth lines to carry some of the load. And sitting back and letting your D-men block shots is only gonna equal injury. This teams needs to push the pace and make sure they're playing in the other teams end more than our own.

I agree with all of this. Torts needs to learn and adapt from what happened this year. The most obvious change is that you MUST play a puck possession game to win in the West. Look at the juggernauts of the West and how ridiculous their puck possesion numbers are. San Jose, LA, and Chicago dominate games because they play with the puck on their sticks for most of the game. Add a good PP on top of a solid 5 on 5 puck possession and you have a recipe for domination.

Who knows what ownership is thinking? Maybe he was brought in to help usher out the old core while bringing in and developing players who can play his brand of hockey.

The reality of the Western conference is you can't win without big bodies and stifling defensive play. We're seeing those teams rise to the top, and unless the Canucks get on board they're going to continue to fall behind.

Smart point. I don't think Torts should be fired. Although I was disappointed with him at times (like the losing streak and Calgary incidents), it's too early to label him as a failure.

One thing I like about Torts is that he preaches the players to play the right way. For example, he doesn't want his defenders to jump to duck hits, just take hits. When it's your turn to give, give it back hard.

Archived