The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How many starts should Markstrom get?

Off_The_Schneid!

I suspect fans want to see him in an actual game more than the coaches

Pretty much. The coaches seem to think he's not NHL ready, which means he would get a shallacking if you put him out there.

Another 'work in progress' I guess.

At this point, I'd say as many as Lack wants him to have. If Lack's tired and wants a rest, let Markstrom start. If Lack feels good and wants to keep going, let him. He's earned it.

The problem is that Lack is a horse, and like Luongo, he's never going to ask for a rest. He's never going to want to be pulled from a game. Torts needs to be the coach and think about the best interests of his goalie, because 'best interests' and 'what Lack wants' are sometimes two different things.

Torts' management of Lack down the stretch has been abysmal IMO.

Pretty mind boggling he hasn't gotten one yet. Does torts not want to see what he's got going into next season?

You'd think markstrom dropkicked a dog right as torts walked in the dressing room or something.

The problem is that Lack is a horse, and like Luongo, he's never going to ask for a rest. He's never going to want to be pulled from a game. Torts needs to be the coach and think about the best interests of his goalie, because 'best interests' and 'what Lack wants' are sometimes two different things.

Torts' management of Lack down the stretch has been abysmal IMO.

I don't actually disagree with you. However, being that we have so few games left and no post-season to worry about it's really a moot point now. A few more games isn't likely going to do him any harm but he's earned being shown a little respect.

2 games: Kings/Ducks, and Oilers

Since the game is not until Saturday, If one of Dallas or Phoenix gets 3-4 points this week, we'll already be out BEFORE the LA game, so Markstrom plays that game I think

If we are still mathematically in it Saturday night, Lack's in and Markstrom gets Anaheim

We finish the year with back to back games.. Lack plays the finale vs Flames so Markstrom gets Oilers

I truly believe Markstrom takes the job from lack mid/late next season, so I hope he plays well in the 2 games he plays, so that we dont end up getting an experienced backup goalie (unless its Brian Elliott)

Archived