The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How many starts should Markstrom get?

Off_The_Schneid!

With 5 games left in the regular season how many starts should he get? I was all for the playoff push, but now that that's over with a high draft pick takes precedence. The highest we can pick is 5th and it seems like the teams trying to catch us keep winning. I would give Markstrom 3 starts to let us see what he can do and if we lose, whatever.

I say no starts. Ride Eddie and dangle Markstrom for the veteran backup we need for next season.

Sucks Utica's on the outside looking in, and will probably compete until the very end (likely coming short).. Means we wont see call-ups of Grenier Andersson Tommernes Ferreiro and Friesen (he's been awesome this past month).. Jensen going back down is a more likely scenario

Also sucks we wont see our playoff eliminated CHL kids get late season stints with the Comets (might see Evan Mcenany sent their in the next couple days).. They signed Spokanes 81pt man Mike Aviani of North Van to a PTO.. Not quite Dane Fox, but he's good... If he does well, im sure he gets a call to come out to training camp this summer... He and Mitch Holmberg had great chemistry, so hopefully he's the next one to sign with us

Crossing my fingers dmen Van Riemsdyk or Gelinas are signed

Hey, the season is over. Why risk having Lack get some stupid injury that will keep him from a healthy summer, training and preparation for next September. Let Markstrom play and let's see what he can do. Remember though.......the team in front of him is not playing very well but maybe he can steal a game or two. Would rather see the Canucks tank in all the remaining games to improve their draft position.

Markstrom didnt even get a chance.. If you're planning on moving him, wouldnt that give you reason to not play Eddie 5 games so you can see what you got in Markstrom? Also, he wont have any trade value if he ends up only playing 1 period for the Canucks

Lets see what he can do on a decent defensive team first.. It'd be a waste of a potential valuable asset.. If Gillis decided he wants a vet backup (which isnt unreasonable thinking based on the dip in play of Lack), then sign a goalie this summer for free, that way we can keep Markstrom and let him split time with Eriksson in the AHL

Id rather just let him and his friend Lack train together everyday and let the youngsters grow, as opposed to bringing in an old stranger that might not even get along with Lack.. But if Canucks happen to get back to old ways, we can always trade for a vet goalie at the deadline (as we seen this season, its not hard to get one at any time of the year)

Now that the season is pretty much done and all they have to do is play out the remaining games I'd imagine its now time for Markstrom to get some games. Lack could definitely use some rest, He's tired from playing 17 games in a row. All of which were must win games to get into the playoffs. Now that that chance is gone it would be good for both Lack and Markstrom if Markstrom got the rest of the games.

Seriously. Ya its unlikely but it's possible

Since Henrik's injury on January 16th the team has gone 10W and 17 L with an additional 2 OT losses.

Henrik holds this team together and the record underlines that fact.

I don't think Markstrom stays with the club, at this point in his career he is not a reliable backup, he is a potential starter who needs more time to grow in the minors. I also don't agree that his trade value changes one iota whether he plays in 0 or 5 of the remaining games. Lack's growth really depends on Rollie Melanson not hos training buddy...in my opinion anyway.

I still think we got him out of convenience. The trade was about moving Luongo. It wasn't to get Markstrom. But by them taking Luongo, they would have too many goalies on the roster and us too few.

The simplest way to remedy this was for us to take one of their goalies they didn't really want.

I don't see him being on the team next year at all. Maybe he gets a start to gauge interest for trading him.

I personally would give Markstrom 2 of the remaining games. Maybe back to back games if possible but let Lack finish the season.

I am not the coach or gm in this circumstance. If I was MG I would tell Torts what to do in this final stretch. He is the boss after all.

Someone has to draw Tortorella a picture that shows Vancouver on the outside looking in at the playoffs, because watching them is all they can expect this year. After Torts has had time to absorb the frickin obvious-to-everybody-with-a-pulse, he should immediately start Markstrom for three or four in a row. In this way management might have some rational idea about whether or not the guy can stop the puck on a basis consistent with winning. This bit of intelligence would be useful, considering they may have to commit to finding another NHL goalie this summer.

Someone has to draw Tortorella a picture that shows Vancouver on the outside looking in at the playoffs, because watching them is all they can expect this year. After Torts has had time to absorb the frickin obvious-to-everybody-with-a-pulse, he should immediately start Markstrom for three or four in a row. In this way management might have some rational idea about whether or not the guy can stop the puck on a basis consistent with winning. This bit of intelligence would be useful, considering they may have to commit to finding another NHL goalie this summer.

We got two very promising young goalies. I dont think we need to rush to go find another goalie. A sample size of 3-4 games wouldn't be an accurate depiction of Markstrom's skill either. The team that would be fielded in front of him wouldn't give him a fair chance to prove himself. The team knows there will be no playoffs this year. So we can't expect them to give 100% to finish out the season. The team will try to compete but they won't give it 100% when it matters because there isn't a point to it anymore.

That's just my opinion though. I am sure they will try though. But that's to small of a sample size to see what he is capable of. Beside's hes only had about a month with Rollie. Lets give him time. I think his potential might be higher then Lack's. We got it good here. Lets not rush to make quick judegements and make moves for the sake of making moves.

"So we can't expect them to give 100% to finish out the season. The team will try to compete but they won't give it 100% when it matters because there isn't a point to it anymore."

While I understand your point, some players will want to look good for a potential trade during the summer, and others to be kept around, including Markstrom.

Archived