What do you think gillis or another gm will do with this team this summer

Canucks-for-the-cup

What we need is depth and more depth

MOULSON/VANEK HORVAT KESLER

SEDIN SEDIN BURROWS

HIGGINS SANTORELLI KASSIAN

BOOTH RICHARDSON MATTHIAS

HANSEN

SESTITO DALPHE SCHROEDER JENSEN all to the AHL for depth call ups or just waive SESTITO. This organization hasn't had depth for all 4 lines in a long time. With over 10 mill in cap space there is more than enough to pay TANEV and KASSIAN their increase and have tones of money for MOULSON/VANEK type player, even if we have to over pay

gillis has already stated he wont ask players with no-trade clauses to waive them. I kind of find it funny how Gillis said he is going to make tough changes like he did six years ago? what tough changes? ill give him creit for keeping that core intact but i dont follow what he meant by that? I also find it funny how after his little speech today how many people are all of the sudden on the Gillis bandwagon again. The record speaks for itself and nothing has been done. Its time for Gillis to go.

Yup. It was nothing more than his "reset button" speech all over again.

The most concerning thing to me about the interview was how Gillis said he thinks they have the personnel to do it now. And if they don't, then changes will be made. I guess he hasn't seen enough to make an assessment yet.

What we need is depth and more depth

MOULSON/VANEK HORVAT KESLER

SEDIN SEDIN BURROWS

HIGGINS SANTORELLI KASSIAN

BOOTH RICHARDSON MATTHIAS

HANSEN

SESTITO DALPHE SCHROEDER JENSEN all to the AHL for depth call ups or just waive SESTITO. This organization hasn't had depth for all 4 lines in a long time. With over 10 mill in cap space there is more than enough to pay TANEV and KASSIAN their increase and have tones of money for MOULSON/VANEK type player, even if we have to over pay

I'm completely in favour of depth, depth and more depth, but the draft is before free agency. You kind of need to know what you are doing with Kesler before free agency. If he's gone and you're reloading with prospects there is even less incentive for a high end free agent winger to sign with us. Is vanek going to sign with us to play with the Sedins? That's a harder sell after this last season. We have to get into a more competitive position for premier free agents to want to choose us. And honestly I don't think their are any true team-changing free agents out there.

I'm all in favour of spending to the cap to get the best free agents we can, but I think the fundamental problem is that their are numerous teams now that have better and younger cores than us. LA. Chicago. St. Louis. That's teams with cores both younger and better. Many more have younger developing promising cores like Dallas and arguably Edmonton. So I don't think we can win until we start to develop a solid new core. By that I mean a new premier first line that can equal out a benn/sequin or a perry/getzlaf, a top pairing that includes a doughty or a pietrangelo, and solid goaltending. Right now I see a few guys that have first line potential in Kassian, Jensen, maybe horvat. I don't see a true dominant blue liner unless Edler somehow makes a dramatic change 8 years into his nhl career. Goaltending, I'm optimistic with the three goalies currently in our system. I don't see any of those pieces in free agency this year.

So the question becomes should we deal assets in order to try to acquire these pieces? It's risky because what you are dealing is a known asset for a potential asset; the risk is always greater for the team dealing the known asset. We could deal Kesler for seemingly awesome prospects and they might still not turn out. Gillis tried to do this with Hodgson/Kassian. He tried to deal out from a position of strength to acquire something hard to find. The board is full of vitriol on that subject. Whether or not the GM is Gillis next year, even though the best strategy may be to trade Kesler, it is almost certain to be an unpopular move unless either Kesler immediately falls off the face of the earth for his new team or one of the assets coming back somehow becomes a superstar overnight.

I'm completely in favour of depth, depth and more depth, but the draft is before free agency. You kind of need to know what you are doing with Kesler before free agency. If he's gone and you're reloading with prospects there is even less incentive for a high end free agent winger to sign with us. Is vanek going to sign with us to play with the Sedins? That's a harder sell after this last season. We have to get into a more competitive position for premier free agents to want to choose us. And honestly I don't think their are any true team-changing free agents out there.

I'm all in favour of spending to the cap to get the best free agents we can, but I think the fundamental problem is that their are numerous teams now that have better and younger cores than us. LA. Chicago. St. Louis. That's teams with cores both younger and better. Many more have younger developing promising cores like Dallas and arguably Edmonton. So I don't think we can win until we start to develop a solid new core. By that I mean a new premier first line that can equal out a benn/sequin or a perry/getzlaf, a top pairing that includes a doughty or a pietrangelo, and solid goaltending. Right now I see a few guys that have first line potential in Kassian, Jensen, maybe horvat. I don't see a true dominant blue liner unless Edler somehow makes a dramatic change 8 years into his nhl career. Goaltending, I'm optimistic with the three goalies currently in our system. I don't see any of those pieces in free agency this year.

So the question becomes should we deal assets in order to try to acquire these pieces? It's risky because what you are dealing is a known asset for a potential asset; the risk is always greater for the team dealing the known asset. We could deal Kesler for seemingly awesome prospects and they might still not turn out. Gillis tried to do this with Hodgson/Kassian. He tried to deal out from a position of strength to acquire something hard to find. The board is full of vitriol on that subject. Whether or not the GM is Gillis next year, even though the best strategy may be to trade Kesler, it is almost certain to be an unpopular move unless either Kesler immediately falls off the face of the earth for his new team or one of the assets coming back somehow becomes a superstar overnight.

I agree that there is a lot of things that need to be looked at and could change the make up of the team. By letting most of the young players properly develop in the AHL like Detroit does, we will be able to remain competitive for along time and leave the organization with the depth we require. With minimal change we could have a way better looking team next year or like you have stated it could be completely different. Either way I suspect that we should be able to start transitioning the Sedins to a second line role which would give us scary depth which is the number one need for this organization

I think the team has to buy out or trade Booth (in a package). I don't mind David, but the team needs the extra 4M.

I am assuming the cap goes up by at least +6M

Kass, Tanev and possibly Santo get raises (at least an extra 6M in cap) Kass/Tanev long term; Santo no more than 2yrs

Don't want to see Kes leave, as an equivilant 2nd line C will be ++ more in salary cap.

Stay the course for another year and see if any of the prospects in Utica are ready to make the jump the following year.

UFA: Booth/Santo/Alberts cap hits = $5M for Moulson x 3yrs. If Markstrom doesn't work out, then a quality #1/2 tweener may need to be aquired via trade (Hansen?)

Sedins Bur/Jensen/Kassian

Santo/Moulson Kes Bur/Jensen/Kassian

Higgins Matthias Bur/Jensen/Kassian

Sestito Richarson Hansen

*Bur/Jensen/Kassian are all interchangeable on the top 3 lines according to how they are playing.

**Horvat gets 9 games -I only want him staying if he's good enough to make the 3rd line.

***Shinks, Fox, Gaunce (and any other Utica player) will get callups if they're playing well.

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Stanton Garrison

Corrado

Lack

Markstrom

Players get asked to waive their NTC clause all the time, Gillis needs to man up. With the direction the team is going, some players wouldn't mind doing it. If the player doesn't waive then so be it, they have the right to. But saying he won't ask is ridiculous.

He also said if people don't buy into his vision they'll be moved. So anything can happen.

what i read from that was him just throwing torts under the bus. just my opinion. Honestly how is it going to look around the league if this team fires two coaches within a year when the GM has not made the team better or given the coaches tools to work with?

Archived