The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Worst Restaurant Delivery Experience Ever

Magikal

So a co worker and myself last night decided to order some dinner as we had to work until 9pm.

We ordered from a place in New Westminster called Gino's. I will start by saying we discovered the food was mediocre at best. We both had ordered pasta and the portions were fairly small and the garlic bread that came with the order was hard and somewhat burnt.

However the food is the least of my worries in this situation. Gino's adds $1 to your bill for delivery and since we had separate bills they added on $1 to each bill. I guess this goes towards the driver, which is fine by me.

Our food comes after just over an hour of waiting and the delivery person just walks into the showroom yelling my first name until I come up to him instead of going up to reception. Again not a big deal but it was disturbing to our customers who were working deals. Me and my co worker go up and pay for our meals and we add a small amount to the bills for a tip. Nothing huge but then again I don't understand why the tip should be huge. I get and appreciate that my food was delivered but I am not paying 15-20% as a tip as if they were a sever as the level of work and attention is far different.

As the driver is leaving he starts yelling and swearing about "how cheap these m*****f*******" are and starts ranting and yelling at someone outside (who happens to be my boss) until my boss gave him a few bucks to shut him up. I would not have let my boss tipped this jerk but I was unaware this was going on until it was too late.

I called the restaurant to complain because I for one, don't pay a restaurant to be embarrassed in front of my co workers and boss because some jerk thinks he is entitled to more of my money. I expressed my concerns and the manager of the restaurant basically blew me off and didn't offer any type of resolution. No " I will discuss it with him" or anything else.

Needless to say my co worker and I are pretty upset about all this and will NEVER do business with them again.

/rant

Have any of you had ugly experiences like this with delivery drivers or GIno's? DO tell.

That's very inappropriate.

If the manager doesn't care, that in itself speaks volumes and he/she deserves the negative reviews. At that level, there should be a level of attentiveness that assures you the problem will be addressed.

I have to attend to reports of inappropriate behaviour as part of my job. This is of the utmost importance...to hear what the people making the reports are saying and address matters in a way that also lets them know you will be doing so. If not, they'll eventually kill the business because word of mouth and bad reviews matter and no one will tolerate that type of disturbing behaviour. Very unprofessional...doesn't matter what level you work at, you represent a company and if this is how they want to be seen by customers, they'll lose a lot of potential ones in the process.

A lot of shoddy businesses out there and they don't know the first thing about customer service. It's rather disheartening.

Adding a dollar for delivery? They advertise 10% off if you pick it up. So it's already more expensive to have it delivered AND they add a surcharge?

Since the manager didn't satisfy you with his response, maybe you could get a little satisfaction by writing a review on urbanspoon or other restaurant review sites.

Also, they have a Twitter account...that's a way to be heard even if they're not listening.

And reviews are a great idea...

The BBB too, because a report is generated on their business and their rating will decline over time if they get multiple reports or ignore complaints.

Nothing huge but then again I don't understand why the tip should be huge. I get and appreciate that my food was delivered but I am not paying 15-20% as a tip as if they were a sever as the level of work and attention is far different.

This is where you're wrong. Which is the greater service - a waitress walking your food a couple of feet across a restaurant, or someone driving your food across town? For the most part, delivery drivers use their own vehicles and their own gas. If the restaurant charges $1 to deliver, that means unless you tip that 15-20%, the driver loses money.

I'm not excusing what he did, but you have to understand how the business works. If that was me, I would have kept those thoughts of you being cheap to myself.

Lived in the same neighbourhood in Vancouver for almost 10 years. The neighbourhood itself seems to be going downhill.

But the places I've ordered take out from have never been bad.

In fact two nights ago I ordered from Panago. And for some reason it was 45 minutes. But the guy that came to the door apologized for it being late. My pizza was piping hot, and I gave him a $5 tip. And I know Panago charges I think a $1.50 for the delivery.

Usually my orders are within 30 minutes. I worked almost 6 years at a White Spot as a carhop when I was younger, so I know what it's like from the servers point of view. Honestly, I've had worse experiences at a restaurant, than from any delivery.

The worst service I got was my local pub. It's a nice place. But unless you are ordering round after round of drinks. The service is pitiful. Given I've gone to pubs in Richmond (Flying Beaver is awesome and a great view of the seaplanes!), Vancouver and elsewhere, and I've rarely had bad service.

I had a bad experience ordering pizza from Papa John's a few years back...

I ordered pizza for delivery (to my home) and told the person I would be paying with my credit card as I didn't have any cash. She said "no problem, the driver has a machine".

Well, the driver got to my door and didn't have a machine and proceeded to blame me for not specifying that I needed one. I explained that I did, in fact, ask for one but he refused to listen and got quite rude. I asked if he could get a machine and come back - he asked me if I would go to a bank machine and get some cash. It was really quite ridiculous.

Finally he asked me how much cash I had and I told him $10 - which was why I was using my credit card. Finally he took the $10 and said "I just paid for half your pizza" and left.

I phoned Papa John's back as I was quite livid due to the rudeness of the driver - again, not once did he recognize that it was the fault of the person that took the order - and complained. Sadly, nothing came of it and I haven't ordered there since.

I work for a delivery company.. we deliver lots of food for restaurants.. the drivers really do live on tips.. not tipping a delivery driver is really not cool. (of course, if he acts like the guy in the OP did, he shouldn't get a tip, I mean in general)

Well, the driver got to my door and didn't have a machine and proceeded to blame me for not specifying that I needed one. I explained that I did, in fact, ask for one but he refused to listen and got quite rude. I asked if he could get a machine and come back - he asked me if I would go to a bank machine and get some cash. It was really quite ridiculous.

Finally he asked me how much cash I had and I told him $10 - which was why I was using my credit card. Finally he took the $10 and said "I just paid for half your pizza" and left.

I can only imagine the delivery people are paid peanuts, by the delivery or by the hour with all kinds of quotas and expectations for bare minimum wage. I don't even know what the arrangement is with gas. Guy having to go back and get a machine would have costed his own time, gas, or whatever so that's why it was more efficient for him to take your $10 and pay the $5 out of his pocket. Imagine yourself in his shoes, if order taker made mistake of not telling him, he's not going to get $$ or time back from him/her. Although I don't excuse rude behaviour, I think the system treats these folks really poorly. Not excusing it but just trying to understand, maybe some who work as delivery can chime in.

Edit: see ... poster just above me. Living on tips as delivery is slave labour. I

That's the only problem with small-time food stores... Although usually quality is much better, there's no corporate company to answer to. Sounds like the guy may have been a little cray, too.

Fortunately, I've never had to deal with sub-par delivery service (yet). Nothing more to do tan leave a couple bad reviews, don't ever give them your business again, and file a BBB report, as others have mentioned.

I can only imagine the delivery people are paid peanuts, by the delivery or by the hour with all kinds of quotas and expectations for bare minimum wage. I don't even know what the arrangement is with gas.

Most delivery drivers are independent contractors. They use their own vehicles and their own gas, and the restaurant pays out a flat rate per delivery (usually only a few dollars), that is either explicit on the receipt or built into the cost of the food. The important thing to note is that the delivery fee is never enough to cover the cost of operating the vehicle, that's why tipping delivery drivers is so important.

I once had a driver arrive 3 hours late because he had been in an accident. He was literally bleeding onto my cold pizza - but I still tipped the guy. Take it up with the restaurant if you've got an issue - the driver has nothing to do with the operation of the business or the kitchen.

I had a bad experience ordering pizza from Papa John's a few years back...

I ordered pizza for delivery (to my home) and told the person I would be paying with my credit card as I didn't have any cash. She said "no problem, the driver has a machine".

I phoned Papa John's back as I was quite livid due to the rudeness of the driver - again, not once did he recognize that it was the fault of the person that took the order - and complained. Sadly, nothing came of it and I haven't ordered there since.

hmmm...inexusable I know but I must admit I've been in that guys shoes, long time ago. I have to submit that it may not be just that particular event that brought out his negativity but perhaps the unbearable circumstances of his life. He likely has a low quality of life in general and maybe keep in mind that some other people doing this kind of work may as well. Doesn't excuse it but something perhaps to bear in mind?

This is where you're wrong. Which is the greater service - a waitress walking your food a couple of feet across a restaurant, or someone driving your food across town? For the most part, delivery drivers use their own vehicles and their own gas. If the restaurant charges $1 to deliver, that means unless you tip that 15-20%, the driver loses money.

I'm not excusing what he did, but you have to understand how the business works. If that was me, I would have kept those thoughts of you being cheap to myself.

So if the guy is counting on tips perhaps his presentation should reflect that? To walk in and yell out a name doesn't really deserve a tip. If you expect to be tipped, give good, polite service and your chances will be much greater. The way he entered the building sort of got him off to a bad start?

Most delivery drivers are independent contractors. They use their own vehicles and their own gas, and the restaurant pays out a flat rate per delivery (usually only a few dollars), that is either explicit on the receipt or built into the cost of the food. The important thing to note is that the delivery fee is never enough to cover the cost of operating the vehicle, that's why tipping delivery drivers is so important.

I once had a driver arrive 3 hours late because he had been in an accident. He was literally bleeding onto my cold pizza - but I still tipped the guy. Take it up with the restaurant if you've got an issue - the driver has nothing to do with the operation of the business or the kitchen.

A couple of things...drivers have accepted that job and those are their issues, not the customers. Just as you've suggested "take it up with the restaurant", the same can be applied to a driver who's not being properly compensated on the job. Tips are not intended to make up shortfalls for cheap employers...the idea behind a tip is for good service and a way for the customer to express that directly.

If the service is crap (and this driver was part of that), then they're lucky to get any tip...give incentive FOR someone to tip you, don't barge in like an ass.

The flipside of the delivery driver's situation is that we all have our story and perhaps the people ordering the food ALSO are having trouble making ends meet. It's not the customer's responsibility to do any more than pay for the service they've ordered. While I hear you (and do tip), it isn't a given and people need to earn that tip...it isn't a handout to offset their daily expenses. That's their deal.

I think there is a guy on this site with a 'Gino's' signature (Gino O'djick wearing a pizza hat). Maybe he'll have something to say about this?

Not a delivery story, but Brown's at Brentwood in North Burnaby has terrible service. Always getting orders wrong, not dressing on salad, no chicken on a salad where chicken was paid for, poor service when you do go there. We complained once, manager said he'd look into it but never got back to us, so we haven't gone back in about 6 months.

Ive worked retail for years and get treated like $#!^ all day long and get one nice person for every 50. I have never got a tip in my life and I work a hell of a lot harder than any waitress or delivery boy. Tips are one of the worst things about society. Everyone is already getting paid a wage to do their job why pay them more? Tips are ridiculous.

Poor uneducated people feel they're entitled to anything because of certain privileged in the world.

That guy does not even care about disturbing your customers, and his boss doesn't care about making money.

You're dealing with degeneracy.

List of entitled worker jobs:

1. bus driver

2. taxi driver

3. server(some)

4. bartender(maybe not pretty much have to not be a jerk)

5 Delivery driver

6. Parking officers

7. Bouncers

Obviously there are exceptions but I find these jobs make people the biggest jerks,

All related to dealing with people who directly make your life harder or nicer.

The guy doesn't have time for your secretary to walk over and politely disturb your conversation so you can go pay the pizza guy what you make in a few seconds on your commission.

If a guy walks into a fancy car dealership and you tip him like 15% I could see him being pissed. I tip 20% and I am a poor student, don't order Pizza if you can't tip.

Its really easy to see why poor people never tipping as enraging to service jobs tbh.

I think there is a guy on this site with a 'Gino's' signature (Gino O'djick wearing a pizza hat). Maybe he'll have something to say about this?

Not a delivery story, but Brown's at Brentwood in North Burnaby has terrible service. Always getting orders wrong, not dressing on salad, no chicken on a salad where chicken was paid for, poor service when you do go there. We complained once, manager said he'd look into it but never got back to us, so we haven't gone back in about 6 months.

Considering he lives in Texas, I don't think there's any connection. He may still have something to say though.

As far as Brown's, only been the once with some coworkers, but they'd been before and not had issues.

And Merci, I usually just skip your posts, but you make a fair amount of assumptions on both what Magikal does (and how he works and is paid) as well as how hard the delivery driver has it that he has to walk into somewhere yelling the customer's name to make a delivery.

Archived