The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Worst Restaurant Delivery Experience Ever

Magikal

Mmm sorry but restaurant staff make minimum wage and we have to deal with @$)#%# most of the time try living on ten bucks a hr youll be scrapping by. Tips are the price of omission if you cant afford to tip you should stay at home and cook your own dinner. Ive served bar countless times given great service people rack up a 150 dinner and drinks tab and tip nothing. Straight up filthy we even bought this guy a round of shots one time and he didnt tip a penny on 180 dollar bill i still had to tip kitchen staff out 7 bucks on their meal. Im a good bartender and server and if you get good service you should tip even if its only ten percent. If i made ten percent on my food sales id probably have a bmw a few yrs ago i wish

I make it very easy on myself, I tip 15% no matter what service I get. You will find if you don't sweat the little things shit goes a lot smoother 15% is enough to make them happy and enough that I am not emptying my pockets. However, that being said I understand why some people don't tip bad service if you working a job with tips try not to be a a--hat. Also if you are super nice and the guy doesn't tip you just suck it up I know its a pain but the bigger deal you make of it the worse you feel and you accomplishing nothing.

So a co worker and myself last night decided to order some dinner as we had to work until 9pm.

We ordered from a place in New Westminster called Gino's. I will start by saying we discovered the food was mediocre at best. We both had ordered pasta and the portions were fairly small and the garlic bread that came with the order was hard and somewhat burnt.

However the food is the least of my worries in this situation. Gino's adds $1 to your bill for delivery and since we had separate bills they added on $1 to each bill. I guess this goes towards the driver, which is fine by me.

Our food comes after just over an hour of waiting and the delivery person just walks into the showroom yelling my first name until I come up to him instead of going up to reception. Again not a big deal but it was disturbing to our customers who were working deals. Me and my co worker go up and pay for our meals and we add a small amount to the bills for a tip. Nothing huge but then again I don't understand why the tip should be huge. I get and appreciate that my food was delivered but I am not paying 15-20% as a tip as if they were a sever as the level of work and attention is far different.

As the driver is leaving he starts yelling and swearing about "how cheap these m*****f*******" are and starts ranting and yelling at someone outside (who happens to be my boss) until my boss gave him a few bucks to shut him up. I would not have let my boss tipped this jerk but I was unaware this was going on until it was too late.

I called the restaurant to complain because I for one, don't pay a restaurant to be embarrassed in front of my co workers and boss because some jerk thinks he is entitled to more of my money. I expressed my concerns and the manager of the restaurant basically blew me off and didn't offer any type of resolution. No " I will discuss it with him" or anything else.

Needless to say my co worker and I are pretty upset about all this and will NEVER do business with them again.

/rant

The delivery guy was obviously in the wrong and is a d-bag, but if you and your co-worker only give delivery drivers a buck or two each then you really are cheap and I have no pity for you. At bare minimum if I order a pizza or even a sub sandwich I always tip at least $5.

These service people have to make a living wage and the only way that they can is if people give them a decent gratuity. If you can't afford to tip a person then drive and pick-up your own food. If you are afraid to miss out on a commission (I assume you sell cars) then think about the poor delivery people. Why should they lose money so you can make yours? That's selfish.

Before you say, "Oh, I tipped poorly because he was rude", that won't be true as per your own admission. I visit Southern Ontario on occasion and I always make sure I fill my gas tank before I go. Gas is frickin' expensive in Canada and this kid used his own just so you could sit and wait for your food.

Myself and a couple of other people sound like pricks to you I'm sure, and there will be other people that will definitely disagree with us, but they will most likely be cheap people as well, whether they admit or deny it.

Poor uneducated people feel they're entitled to anything because of certain privileged in the world.

That guy does not even care about disturbing your customers, and his boss doesn't care about making money.

You're dealing with degeneracy.

List of entitled worker jobs:

1. bus driver

2. taxi driver

3. server(some)

4. bartender(maybe not pretty much have to not be a jerk)

5 Delivery driver

6. Parking officers

7. Bouncers

Obviously there are exceptions but I find these jobs make people the biggest jerks,

All related to dealing with people who directly make your life harder or nicer.

The guy doesn't have time for your secretary to walk over and politely disturb your conversation so you can go pay the pizza guy what you make in a few seconds on your commission.

If a guy walks into a fancy car dealership and you tip him like 15% I could see him being pissed. I tip 20% and I am a poor student, don't order Pizza if you can't tip.

Its really easy to see why poor people never tipping as enraging to service jobs tbh.

I don't know about bus drivers, usally their pretty cool and friendly, but they constantly deal with crackheads, mentally ill and people trying to board without money..... hasn't there been a handful of assaults against them recently?

Mmm sorry but restaurant staff make minimum wage and we have to deal with @$)#%# most of the time try living on ten bucks a hr youll be scrapping by. Tips are the price of omission if you cant afford to tip you should stay at home and cook your own dinner. Ive served bar countless times given great service people rack up a 150 dinner and drinks tab and tip nothing. Straight up filthy we even bought this guy a round of shots one time and he didnt tip a penny on 180 dollar bill i still had to tip kitchen staff out 7 bucks on their meal. Im a good bartender and server and if you get good service you should tip even if its only ten percent. If i made ten percent on my food sales id probably have a bmw a few yrs ago i wish

I get the whole tip thing - I always tip cash when the service is good but the food is poor ( so the waitress can decide how much gets shared ) and tip on debit when the whole service is good. I would however suggest your comments are complete nonsense. I know many seniors who can only afford to go out once a week or month and still go out to favorite restaurants and most likely ones they have been going to for decades and can not afford the tip. To even suggest that if they can't afford a full tip they have no businuess going out is frankly - disturbing.

If people can tip - they should. The tip is what the person feels is right and what the can afford. Tipping has gotten out of hand. When I take my truck for an oil change the first thing on the debit maching they pass you is are you paying by % or amount for tip? - if you go to a self serve salad joint for lunch and other food court places they also have "tip" included in the debit machine process. I have gone for supper with groups of 10-12 and although we all tip 18% when you leave you find out they also added to your bill so you tipped 36% - and thatss 36% on top of the entire bill and the taxes.

If you as you suggest anyone not able to pay tips should stay at home - speak to your boss and have the price of all items raised 18% and put up a sign saying the tips are automatically added on the listed price so no further tips required.

I think back about 12 years ago to a letter to the editor in our local paper where a wait staff ripped into a group of seniors who on fridays came for lunch and never leave full tips - the author suggested that they skip desert and use that money for the tip or better yet stay home and eat. The week after a few letters of support came in for the wait staff - the week after a tidal wave of hate letters flooded the editorial section. Several restaurant owners wrote and stated that people that can only afford the food are most welcome and if any staff give poor service to make sure to let them know personally.

Like I said I get it that folks that can afford a tip should tip and my beef is not about tipping. My beef is this sense of entitlment that some service staff have that they would even suggest that those that can't afford tips should stay home.

Much like that group of seniors that meet once a week for lunch and have for decades - not everyone can afford to tip and I would suggest that with that knowledge when I tip 20% because I can afford it that good service staff would know those on limited budget and still give them great service -

After reading the OP, I find the delivery drivers actions deplorable. And I'm a little surprised how much sympathy he seems to be getting from some people.

So the driver isnt making much money? Who's fault is that? The paying customer who is keeping the restaraunt in business by patronizing them? Or the business who cant afford to pay their employees enough to make a living? How about the driver himself who chooses to work at his job? Why should it be the paying customers responsibility? I have no sympathy for this driver. If he doesnt like his job, find a new one. Simple.

If you had to tip the kitchen staff on a bill you did not get a tip on, maybe you should take that up with your manager or move to the kitchen and be guaranteed a tip?

I generally tip about 20-25% on average if the service warrants it, but if the service is bad, why should/would I reward that? tipping is not mandatory, it is a gratuity based on the level of service and is the customers discretion, but for sure good service deserves a tip.

To give an example, 4 co-workers and myself went for lunch last Friday and walked into a restaurant down town (which had about 3 customers total).

* We were greeted with an eye roll

* 2 of us ordered a beer (which arrived room temperature), which when we let her know got a sigh and another eye roll, signalling we were inconveniencing her on this busy day

* We all ordered our food and just before she left the table, someone changed their order, which we go another sigh and one word answers

* One of the orders was wrong when it did arrive, in which we let her know and when we got attitude said no we will keep it to make it easier for her

* Not one smile the entire lunch

How would you suggest she be tipped serving customers using her attitude and body language? What did she do to EARN the tip. In my opinion she deserved nothing, but was still tipped by each of us because we were in a good mood and like the restaurant.

If you had to tip the kitchen staff on a bill you did not get a tip on, maybe you should take that up with your manager or move to the kitchen and be guaranteed a tip?

I generally tip about 20-25% on average if the service warrants it, but if the service is bad, why should/would I reward that? tipping is not mandatory, it is a gratuity based on the level of service and is the customers discretion, but for sure good service deserves a tip.

To give an example, 4 co-workers and myself went for lunch last Friday and walked into a restaurant down town (which had about 3 customers total).

* We were greeted with an eye roll

* 2 of us ordered a beer (which arrived room temperature), which when we let her know got a sigh and another eye roll, signalling we were inconveniencing her on this busy day

* We all ordered our food and just before she left the table, someone changed their order, which we go another sigh and one word answers

* One of the orders was wrong when it did arrive, in which we let her know and when we got attitude said no we will keep it to make it easier for her

* Not one smile the entire lunch

How would you suggest she be tipped serving customers using her attitude and body language? What did she do to EARN the tip. In my opinion she deserved nothing, but was still tipped by each of us because we were in a good mood and like the restaurant.

I have on several occasions asked to see the cook on a very good meal with horrible service - and gave the tip directly to the cook. The statement you make not tipping the server but tipping the cook will have the desired effect after you leave lol.

oh the self entitled servers how i love them

working in the industry for 10 years as a dishwasher prep cook and line cook i can tell you the majority of the places i have worked a lot of these servers care more about how they look then picking up the food or being any help at all but still walk out of the restaurant with more tip money then the kitchen workers who bust their butts for 8-10 hours and then some while most servers work 4-6 quite a few split shifts

bottom line tipping is not mandatory and that's how it should be i don't tip my mail man grocery clerk so what makes restaurants so special that they somehow feel entitled to a 15-20 percent tip just for doing a good job

out of all the places i worked a small diner was the best because tips were equal split between the kitchen and servers and that is how it should be everywhere you don't get the food without us and the customers don't get the food without you doesn't matter if you got bad customers or whatever supposed crap you deal with front of the house it is just as bad in the back

Went to McDonalds once and asked for something with no onions and ketchup and they put it on of course. Went back to the girl and told her I asked for no onions or ketchup and she responded with "No you didn't" and a snobby look. I then said "Yes I did" and she replied with "Oh.. well I forgot then".

The customer is always right ladies and gents.

Went to McDonalds once and asked for something with no onions and ketchup and they put it on of course. Went back to the girl and told her I asked for no onions or ketchup and she responded with "No you didn't" and a snobby look. I then said "Yes I did" and she replied with "Oh.. well I forgot then".

unless he doesn't want onions on a burger, in which case there is something very much wrong with his judgment

The customer is actually not always right. Always right implies perfection.

The customer, however; is always the customer.

So help me with this. You go out with a group of 8 or more, the bill has a tip on it, 18% or whatever, am I still expected to tip?

My assumption has been no. Am I correct?

If they already add on the customary 18% tip to the bill on a large party seating then heck no, don't tip even more unless you really loved the person who served you. I'm a huge advocate for tipping, but at some point enough is enough.

Archived