The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Worst Restaurant Delivery Experience Ever

Magikal

I worked for 6 months at Pizza 73 in Edmonton a long time ago. We had 6 to 8 drivers on weekend and game nights. Maybe 12 to 15 drivers overall and every single one of them was a bit off. Any normal guy who took that job was gone within a few weeks as he would still be looking for a real job. The guys who stayed were the ones who couldnt get anything else. There were guys who had girlfriends calling threatening to kill themselves every Friday night. One guy actually came in to hand in his collections from the back of a police car on his way to lock up. Yeah, these are the guys who deliver your food. So when a guy starts going off in the parking lot about cheap tippers, maybe his girlfriend is trying to kill herself again or hes getting kicked out of his place or any one of a dozen things that happen to people living week to week on next to nothing.

Man, we used to order Pizza 73 all the time when I lived in Calgary... you better believe we tipped those shady-looking guys.. anything to keep them from "contaminating" the merchandise.

This is where you're wrong. Which is the greater service - a waitress walking your food a couple of feet across a restaurant, or someone driving your food across town? For the most part, delivery drivers use their own vehicles and their own gas. If the restaurant charges $1 to deliver, that means unless you tip that 15-20%, the driver loses money.

I'm not excusing what he did, but you have to understand how the business works. If that was me, I would have kept those thoughts of you being cheap to myself.

You're paid a salary to do the job. This includes paying for fuel.

You work minimum wage. It doesn't matter if you come by a limo or by airplane; it's YOUR responsibility to be there because you're paid to do the job, which includes the travel. If you were smart, you'd live close.

This is where you're wrong. Which is the greater service - a waitress walking your food a couple of feet across a restaurant, or someone driving your food across town? For the most part, delivery drivers use their own vehicles and their own gas. If the restaurant charges $1 to deliver, that means unless you tip that 15-20%, the driver loses money.

I'm not excusing what he did, but you have to understand how the business works. If that was me, I would have kept those thoughts of you being cheap to myself.

I don't get tips in my line of work, why should anyone? You don't like your pay, negotiate it or move on. Tips are the most ridiculous thing ever. Here is some extra money so you don't spit in my food next time.

The sob story of losing money is classic as well. I don't tip. Teachers and Doctors should get tips. Not a waiter or waitress.

Its the tips that make a doctor able to earn a comfortable living.

that and i'm sure doctors make less than regular minimum wage. those guys don't stand a chance

there was also an article cbc put out a couple weeks ago where they compared canadian provinces on how much people tip and bc came up dead last or something

here it is. i wouldn't put my whole stock on this article, but getting a 13% tip in vancouver is pretty generous. the one guyperson who said 10% seems to be the standard, and the guy who said if you dont like the service don't tip at all and take it up with the owner

Ottawans give the most generous tips in Canada, data says

Data released on tipping habits across the country suggests Calgarians most miserly CBC News

New data gathered on Canadian tipping habits suggests Vancouver has narrowly avoided the bottom slot — thanks to the apparent lack of generosity displayed by Calgarians.

Mobile payments company Square analyzed the transactions made on their system in five Canadian cities — Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, Montreal and Ottawa — averaging out both the frequency of tips made and their value.

Vancouverites were found to tip 62 per cent of the time, with an average tip of 13.4 per cent of the bill, far behind Canada's most generous tipsters in Ottawa, who tipped 76.6 per cent of time with an average tip of 15.6 per cent.

Some Vancouver business owners showed little surprise when told about the results.

"I think people really do believe that is the standard — that it's 10 per cent gratuity," said Christy Denton, owner of Cranberries Spa in Vancouver.

Illustrator Willo O'Brien demonstrates the Square credit-card reader on her iPhone in San Francisco. Mobile payments are expected to hit $670 billion by 2015. (Russel A. Daniels/AP)

She says clients often ask her how much they should tip.

"I will tell them it's really 15 to 20 per cent."

Ian Tostenson, head of the BC Restaurant and Food Association agrees.

"I think you should tip anywhere from 15-20 per cent if you have good service and if you don't have good service I don't think you should tip anything," he said. "That's when you need to go to the business owner and say, 'My experience wasn't great'."

Montreal tops Toronto

Back at the more generous end of the tipping spectrum, Toronto's tips were slightly bigger than Montreal's (at 14.5 per cent and 14.4 per cent respectively), but Montrealers tip on average 70.4 percent, while Torontonians leave a tip only 65.5 per cent of the time.

Calgarians proved the most miserly of the bunch according to Square, tipping just 59.4 per cent of the time, with an average tip of 13.3 per cent.

The data was gathered from transactions made using Square's mobile payment technology, and covered retail services that give a tip option to customers, including restaurants, taxis, spas, hairdressers and bars. It also included those offering personal services such as private fitness instruction and massage services.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/news/story/1.2596627

The reason Montreal probably tips so well, is that you're allowed to bring your own wine to a restaurant. I'm pretty sure customers who've had a few glasses of wine, and some good food are more likely to tip. :)

depends on where you go. if that were the case, then the people serving them werent doing a very good job at what they're supposed to do, and the customers were mostly tipping the kitchen staff, where they get a fraction of that tip

So a co worker and myself last night decided to order some dinner as we had to work until 9pm.

We ordered from a place in New Westminster called Gino's. I will start by saying we discovered the food was mediocre at best. We both had ordered pasta and the portions were fairly small and the garlic bread that came with the order was hard and somewhat burnt.

However the food is the least of my worries in this situation. Gino's adds $1 to your bill for delivery and since we had separate bills they added on $1 to each bill. I guess this goes towards the driver, which is fine by me.

Our food comes after just over an hour of waiting and the delivery person just walks into the showroom yelling my first name until I come up to him instead of going up to reception. Again not a big deal but it was disturbing to our customers who were working deals. Me and my co worker go up and pay for our meals and we add a small amount to the bills for a tip. Nothing huge but then again I don't understand why the tip should be huge. I get and appreciate that my food was delivered but I am not paying 15-20% as a tip as if they were a sever as the level of work and attention is far different.

As the driver is leaving he starts yelling and swearing about "how cheap these m*****f*******" are and starts ranting and yelling at someone outside (who happens to be my boss) until my boss gave him a few bucks to shut him up. I would not have let my boss tipped this jerk but I was unaware this was going on until it was too late.

I called the restaurant to complain because I for one, don't pay a restaurant to be embarrassed in front of my co workers and boss because some jerk thinks he is entitled to more of my money. I expressed my concerns and the manager of the restaurant basically blew me off and didn't offer any type of resolution. No " I will discuss it with him" or anything else.

Needless to say my co worker and I are pretty upset about all this and will NEVER do business with them again.

/rant

Have any of you had ugly experiences like this with delivery drivers or GIno's? DO tell.

Man, you actually handled it very well. If I was waiting for an hour for delivery, I would just tell the delivery guy to return the food and would've called someone earlier from another restaurant to deliver the food. An hour of waiting for food is just ridiculous and not acceptable.

I don't get tips in my line of work, why should anyone? You don't like your pay, negotiate it or move on. Tips are the most ridiculous thing ever. Here is some extra money so you don't spit in my food next time.

The sob story of losing money is classic as well. I don't tip. Teachers and Doctors should get tips. Not a waiter or waitress.

Doctors should get tip? Really? I doubt people would be able to tip 15-20% of what it costs for a surgery and giving $10 to a doctor would probably be perceived as more of an insult than anything.

When the idiotic news airs crap like: "is BC the cheapest when it comes to tipping"(or whatever) and;therefore, enticing bullshit like this. All they are is a bunch of bloody ass clowns. I couldn't believe they had the audacity to air something like that. They ran with it for liek two days, including yapping about it on the Breakfast show(s) Must be nice to get tips all day every day, when people make the same, doing harder work, and DO NOT GET TIPS!!! Entitled sons of ****

Tip better or order from higher end places.

Don't order from a low end cheap place that highers low end minimum wage workers and expect excellent service with a smile. If the deliverer is complaining ignore him, have him removed, or tell him to eat a dick and laugh at his shitty life.

Half the time I order delivery the guy forget something or can't find the place or seems high.

You didn't give 15% and the guy complained... so what?

Update:

The owner contacted me via urbanspoon and was very upset that this had happened. We spoke on the phone and he offered me a credit of double what I paid for a total of 120. I went down to the store to shake his hand and thank him in person for being a professional about things. Sadly he told me that he will likely be firing the driver. I told him I didn't want to have anyone lose a job over this but he insisted that the driver had gone against policy and embarrassed his business leaving him no choice. Sucks that he will have to find work but that is his fault in the end of things

Update:

The owner contacted me via urbanspoon and was very upset that this had happened. We spoke on the phone and he offered me a credit of double what I paid for a total of 120. I went down to the store to shake his hand and thank him in person for being a professional about things. Sadly he told me that he will likely be firing the driver. I told him I didn't want to have anyone lose a job over this but he insisted that the driver had gone against policy and embarrassed his business leaving him no choice. Sucks that he will have to find work but that is his fault in the end of things

I stand by what I had said about tipping in general, but as I said before, the delivery guy was a d-bag. He deserves to lose his job.

In the long run it will do the driver some good I would think. Hopefully he'll figure out that being a moron at a job is counter-productive and anybody that he interacts with in the future won't have to put up with terrible service.

Okay no. You sound like you yourself are a delivery driver and are completely over exaggerating. This driver was completely in the wrong, first off he he is making a salary, likely minimum wage but whatever that doesn't matter, he is being paid by the restaurant per hour to deliver food then second he gets tips so now he is making 10 dollars an hour plus tips so regardless of what that tip is its money in the bank. On top of that most places that hire deliver guys either provide a car or they pay for the gas the driver uses. You're also implying like this guy is driving for an hour to deliver you your food most places won't deliver to you unless you are within 5km. A waiter or waitress is constantly providing you with service trying to do whatever it is they can to make you happy.

This guy is an asshole and I would of stopped him midway and taken my money back and given him the food back. I mean honestly deliver guys can make a ton of money just because people feel like they are obligated to tip. It used to be that delivery drivers didn't get paid its not like that anymore they have to be paid minimum wage its against the law not to be. If that restaurant isn't paying their drivers properly thats not your problem.

I can remember ordering from Nats, and the driver basically told me to give him a big tip literally trying to intimidate me. I took the food paid for it with no tip and told him to frack off. I will not tip anyone who acts like they are entitled to my money you earn it by being professional and nice not by entitlement.

I stand by what I had said about tipping in general, but as I said before, the delivery guy was a d-bag. He deserves to lose his job.

In the long run it will do the driver some good I would think. Hopefully he'll figure out that being a moron at a job is counter-productive and anybody that he interacts with in the future won't have to put up with terrible service.

I doubt it has any effect in the long run. He is probably filling out a Burger King application right now and cursing the cheapskate who got him fired. Those are dead end jobs that can be easily replaced because they are already on the bottom and they have no effect on getting better real jobs.

All this is is the OP orders delivery and tips below common courtesy (aka average). The delivery boy who makes no money then complains (yeah he shouldn't have done it so vocally) and the OP who believes words are more painful than sticks and stones decides to go on a personal vendetta to get even because this was apparently such a traumatizing experience for him. The worker then gets fired.

All of this over a couple dollars.

Then the OP decides to complain about it more on a message board. Nether one of these guys acted like adults. The guy shouldn't have complained and the OP shouldn't have acted like the guy urinated in his pasta or just given him the standard 15%.

Magikal's a pretty reasonable guy. I don't think that he's angry that the guy was a douche; he's angry because he acted the way he did at Magikal's place of work, potentially costing him a much larger amount of money than what the delivery guy was whining about.

A few things:

3. The restaurant is a few blocks from my work and not across town as one user here suggested. Delivery drivers receive 10.25/hr (min. wage) plus tips and usually an additional sum of money to cover fuel for the vehicle they drive. Given the amount of work they do this is more than enough to compensate them. If they want more money they should look elsewhere for work.

Are you stating this for all delivery drivers or just this place?

I can guarantee that not all drivers get paid by the hour. Most get paid per delivery and thats it. The ones that do get paid minimum wage are also expected to do prep, dishes, and whatever else needs to be done in the kitchen.

While this guy was out of line, not tipping the delivery driver is a bad idea. I used to deliver pizza years ago, and we remembered who didn't tip and/or who tipped bad.

If people can't be bothered to tip the delivery driver, go and pick up your own food, you'll find less spit and other substances in it.

Are you stating this for all delivery drivers or just this place?

I can guarantee that not all drivers get paid by the hour. Most get paid per delivery and thats it. The ones that do get paid minimum wage are also expected to do prep, dishes, and whatever else needs to be done in the kitchen.

While this guy was out of line, not tipping the delivery driver is a bad idea. I used to deliver pizza years ago, and we remembered who didn't tip and/or who tipped bad.

If people can't be bothered to tip the delivery driver, go and pick up your own food, you'll find less spit and other substances in it.

thanks for telling everyone what a total douche you are.

thanks for telling everyone what a total douche you are.

How so? Did I say I spit in peoples food? No, I didn't.

I would however deliver their food last. You keep the good tippers happy, you don't care about the people that can't bother to tip.

Besides, I'm more of an ***hole than a douche.

Archived