The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Former Red Sox reliever Rheal Cormier dies at 53

a3c8fa5961f73ec39a1d412892639539

Former Red Sox left-hander Rheal Cormier, a fixture on a pair of postseason teams in Boston, died of pancreatic cancer Monday at age 53.

A native of Moncton, New Brunswick in Canada, Cormier was affectionately known as "Frenchy" during a 16-year career that also included stops in Philadelphia, St. Louis, Cincinnati, and Montreal.

Though he was best known for his six seasons in Philadelphia, where he made over 350 appearances in relief, his best teams were in Boston. Acquired from the Cardinals as part of an early-season trade that brought outfielder Mark Whiten to the Red Sox in 1995, Cormier went 7-5 with a 4.07 ERA, joining castoff knuckleballer Tim Wakefield to give the pitching staff an unexpected boost as the Red Sox won a shocking American League East title before being swept by the Indians in the Division Series.

Cormier made 38 appearances and 12 starts in 1995 before being shipped to his home-country Expos in a trade for shortstop Wilfredo Cordero the following offseason.

He rejoined the Red Sox as a free agent in 1999 and made 124 appearances over the next two seasons, throwing 7.2 scoreless innings in six playoff outings vs. the Indians and Yankees.

That success earned him a contract in Philadelphia, where he authored his best individual seasons. He went 8-0 with a 1.70 ERA in 2003 and a year later set a club record for a left-handed pitcher by appearing in 84 games.

He closed out his career in 2008 at age 41 by representing Team Canada in the Beijing Olympics.

"Rheal was one of the most vibrant people I've had the pleasure of knowing," former teammate Jim Thome told MLB.com. "He loved baseball, but he always put his family first. Frenchy was the kind of guy who would do anything for you and I'm lucky to have called him my friend for many years."

• Sad 1

Sounds like Yates is going to need Tommy John.  Springer has an oblique strain and Robbie Ray bruised his elbow slipping on stairs.  Couple that with the Canucks top 4 centres injured and I guess as a sports fan I'm destined not to have nice things.<_<

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, gurn said:

Jays win in 10 innings 3-2    Merryweather was the closer in the tenth, Romano pitched the 9th.

Opening day victory.

Noticed Merryweather struck out the side for the save.  Not a bad first outing of the season.  I'm really looking forward to watching some baseball this weekend.

Edited by Wilbur
  • Upvote 1

...sigh....

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The Giants were up 6-1 in the bottom of the 8th, with one out. The Giants starter (Gausman) was indeed looking to be a bit gassed, so he was pulled and the game was turned over to the bullpen. Pretty standard. They looked a bit rough, but they got through the inning without any further damage.

Now, in previous years, the Giants bullpen would act like a bunch of guys who had no idea that the strike zone was located in front of the batter, not behind him, or even in his ribs, but it's the first game of the season and hope springs eternal...  Sure enough, the Mariners score 6 runs to take a 7-6 lead. The giants did manage to get a run in the top of the 9th, so I'll see what happens next...

regards,  G.

Edit: Yup, lost it in the bottom of the 9th. There's been a curse on the Giants bullpen since after the 2014 Series.

Edited by Gollumpus

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mlb-pulls-all-star-game-georgia-wake-restrictive-new-voting-n1262930?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_np&fbclid=IwAR1QMV_7YVB9eNGvhsE-AmLyjlNgR5UppjZDo3yxWKRIZtv_Yitoj9JTWYQ

MLB pulls All-Star Game from Atlanta in protest of restrictive new voting law

The "Midsummer Classic" was going to be played July 13 at Truist Park, home of the Atlanta Braves. A new site was not announced.

Difference in this game that's 5-3 in the 8th?  The Yankees fight tooth and nail EVERY SINGLE at bat.  Elite plate discipline.  The Blue Jays plate discipline hasn't been bad this game but too much free swinging, too many easy outs.

Edited by Wilbur

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Difference in this game that's 5-3 in the 8th?  The Yankees fight tooth and nail EVERY SINGLE at bat.  Elite plate discipline.  The Blue Jays plate discipline hasn't been bad this game but too much free swinging, too many easy outs.

Jays struggled today with RISP they couldn't clutch up at all bad game.