The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

Rate this topic

Big series coming up for the Jays.  I know the Red Sox has had the benefit of a way better schedule so far this season and it's still early, but a series win right now would not only be good for the standings but to send a message to the rest of the division that the Jays are the team to beat.

On a different front, former Jay, Kevin Pillar has multiple facial fractures after being hit in the face by a 95 MPH fastball from Braves reliever, Jacob Webb last night.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/other/mets-pillar-has-multiple-nasal-fractures-after-hit-by-pitch/ar-BB1gRXi7?li=AAggXBR

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

On a different front, former Jay, Kevin Pillar has multiple facial fractures after being hit in the face by a 95 MPH fastball from Braves reliever, Jacob Webb last night.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/other/mets-pillar-has-multiple-nasal-fractures-after-hit-by-pitch/ar-BB1gRXi7?li=AAggXBR

Ouch.

really liked Superman in the Jays center field.

Even with Lourdes struggles at the plate. He’s still hitting better than Lindor. 

Good thing the Jays didn’t end up with Lindor. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What a performance from all the Jays yesterday.  Love watching them move the line and not relying on the long ball to score runs.  Reminds me of the 2015 Royals.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2
Posted (edited)

I'm really glad to see Vladdy back on track, after a bit of a mini slump. For a while there in the past couple of weeks, he was getting close to the .300 line, but is now back in the .325 neighborhood....

The guy just generates ridiculous bat speed. Tabler mentioned yesterday that he hit a single that came off the bat at 115 MPH....I'm not much of a math whiz, but an online calculator tells me that it translates to just under 170 feet per second.

If you're playing third, you're approximately 100 feet from the plate. If Vlad hits one to you at 115 MPH, it's going to get to you in something between 1/2 and 2/3 of a second....That's why they call it the "hot corner"....B)

I also have to say, I'm loving this off field hitting approach. The Jays' power hitters don't need to pull the ball to hit out, and going the other way (especially when teams are in the shift) is working.

It used to drive me crazy with previous iterations of this team....down by a couple late and the leadoff guy grounds it straight into the shift.....I figured that sort of mentality would have changed when we saw David Ortiz, of all people, slapping the ball down the 3rd base line and turning it over to the next guy.

It looks like Martinez is an advocate of taking what the defense gives you and I, for one, approve.....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2
15 hours ago, BoKnows said:

Stripling pitching like it’s BP

I guess there's still time for Stripling to get it together, but it certainly looks like a trade that did not work out for the Jays....

...I guess we have to hope that the guys we gave the Dodgers don't turn into the second coming of Noah Syndergard, or Michael Young....

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I guess there's still time for Stripling to get it together, but it certainly looks like a trade that did not work out for the Jays....

...I guess we have to hope that the guys we gave the Dodgers don't turn into the second coming of Noah Syndergard, or Michael Young....

To me he's a 6th man forced into a top 5 role.  Is what it is.  Still prefer him over Roark.

• Upvote 1

Some year, some time, the Jays will play a season with everyone, at least the key players, staying healthy.

Hope I'm alive to see it.

• Hydration 1
44 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Manoah is looking like a stud

image.thumb.png.39485ad1f590c9340d4f195bafcad705.png

A lot of talk about the Jays being forced to bring him up. If Stripling keeps having outings like last night, it might be sooner than later....

14 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

A lot of talk about the Jays being forced to bring him up. If Stripling keeps having outings like last night, it might be sooner than later....

I'd give Stripling 3 more starts

Stings to lose like that, but they were due to have a reliever cough up a late lead. IIRC, that was the first time it happened this season....