The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

So....watching Tyler Chatwood get the nail biter save, I've decided that if I'm Pete Walker, I have the battery set up on the inside corner on every fastball and let TC's natural movement carry the ball out to the outside corner....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

It would be great to see the Jays when everyone is healthy, and playing well.

That has to happen someday, sometime, some year, right?

Remember when the Jays got Sanchez back from injury and put him in long relief, rather than back in the rotation? I'd like to see them do the same with Pearson when he's healthy....I think the rotation looks pretty decent when Matz returns and having a big arm that can give you multiple innings would really help the team's prospects.

Neither Thornton or Kay inspire much confidence at this point.

The guy I'm really stoked to see come back (other than Springer) is Julian Merryweather. He looked like the heir apparent closer after Kirby Yates went down and I think a combo of him with Romano gives the Jays a really solid 8th and 9th. Ryan Borucki is also due back soon and I think having another lefty reliever would take a lot of pressure off Tim Mayza. (and by extension, Charlie Montoyo)

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, gurn said:

Montoyo is serving his one game automatic suspension, because Manoah got tossed out of that hit batter game.

Manoah is appealing his 5 game suspension.

....and the Jays pull out a 2-1 victory on the strength of 9th inning back to back doubles by Cavan Biggio and Lourdes Gurriel....

John Schneider officially .1000 as manager...:towel:

• Upvote 1

So Baseball peeps, what does everyone think about the crackdown on sticky stuff? The situation with Max Scherzer got a bit out of hand, I'd say....

I keep seeing stats where they know the spin rate of pitchers, so I'm wondering if this can be done in real time and relayed to the umps if they note a large discrepancy?

Allowing Joe Girardi to just ask the umps to check whenever he feels like it, is not going to work, IMHO....

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

So Baseball peeps, what does everyone think about the crackdown on sticky stuff? The situation with Max Scherzer got a bit out of hand, I'd say....

I keep seeing stats where they know the spin rate of pitchers, so I'm wondering if this can be done in real time and relayed to the umps if they note a large discrepancy?

Allowing Joe Girardi to just ask the umps to check whenever he feels like it, is not going to work, IMHO....

MLB would not want me as a pitcher, first time the umps come out to check on me; with out proof or suspicion I'd do my level best to sue them and the league for defamation or whatwever would possibly work. I'd also imediately quit.

No employer of mine gets away with labeling me a potential cheater. Not a single one.

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

no, it's going to be used as a disruption tactic. 

more dudes should drop their pants and make a mockery of it. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

no, it's going to be used as a disruption tactic. 

more dudes should drop their pants and make a mockery of it. 

I think they have to set some kind of limits on it....

Same as any other challenge....you only get so many....

• Cheers 1

Bit of a Twitter meltdown going on over the Blue Jays' All Star jersey. (they're wearing specific jerseys for the game this year, with the players' team in shorthand on the front)

Apparently, someone at MLB thought an American flag (albeit as red one) on the sleeve would be a good idea....:picard:

Poll time: What do you think of the All-Star jerseys? - Bluebird Banter

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Chatwood again....<_< Shatkins has to go out and get the pen some help. I don't think they can wati any longer for these guys to "figure it out"....

Grichuk deserves his share of the blame for last night's game as well. That's a catch you have to make. As inconsistent as Thornton was, he should have been out of the 10th with no damage....

• Upvote 2

One thing that gives me hope for the Jays is the fact that this team can flat-out hit...

I'm watching Euro 2020 and switch over to the Jays at half time.....Espinal and Maguire go quietly and then Semien is quickly down 0-2.....inning over, right?

Not so much, Semien battles back and hits a double just inside the 3rd base bag....Bichette follows with a line drive to the right-center gap and Vladdy takes the first pitch he sees over the left field fence.

Then, just for good measure, Teo steps up and puts one in the same spot....

Edited by RUPERTKBD

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

One thing that gives me hope for the Jays is the fact that this team can flat-out hit...

I'm watching Euro 2020 and switch over to the Jays at half time.....Espinal and Maguire go quietly and then Semien is quickly down 0-2.....inning over, right?

Not so much, Semien battles back and hits a double just inside the 3rd base bag....Bichette follows with a line drive to the right-center gap and Vladdy takes the first pitch he sees over the left field fence.

Then, just for good measure, Teo steps up and puts one in the same spot....

They’ve really had zero issue with putting up runs, even downright boat-racing teams at times. They’ve done it without their second best hitter for the vast majority of the season too. They just need a little help from the pitching staff. 

If Yates, Merryweather, and Borucki had been healthy this year I think the Jays would’ve been a playoff lock. 

Edited by Sean Monahan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

They’ve really had zero issue with putting up runs, even downright boat-racing teams are times. They’ve done it without their second best hitter for the vast majority of the season too. They just need a little help from the pitching staff. 

If Yates, Merryweather, and Borucki had been healthy this year I think the Jays would’ve been a playoff lock. 

TBH, if we could get Merryweather back and performing like he did before the injury, I wouldn't miss Yates nearly as much...

Switching back from Euro, it's now 8-0 Jays. Apparently, the strategy is now to build up a lead that even their bullpen can't blow. B)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

TBH, if we could get Merryweather back and performing like he did before the injury, I wouldn't miss Yates nearly as much...

Switching back from Euro, it's now 8-0 Jays. Apparently, the strategy is now to build up a lead that even their bullpen can't blow. B)

It seems so simple :lol:

I was flipping back and forth between the Jays and Game 7 last night (mostly watching hockey) and I thought the Jays 5-1 lead was pretty safe too. Imagine my dismay when I flipped back and it was 5-5…

• Cheers 1