The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

6 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'd move Davis if they can, he isn't amounting to anything imo, and I really don't like Jansen, I want him gone, although their value isn't high, maybe throw them into a deal to get a little more.

I don't see much point in trying to move Davis, TBH...he makes basically nothing (about 600k) and can be sent down to AAA any time, IIRC. He'd be almost zero value in a trade, unless some team had a rash of OF injuries and needed a cheap replacement.

I'd be inclined to hang onto him and use him much like Charlie has been so far this season. Late inning pinch running (sort of like Dave Roberts was for the Red Sox back in '04) or as a defensive replacement when you have a lead.....

I've been on the dump Jansen bandwagon for a while now. he calls a decent game, but for my money, a major league catcher has to either hit .250, or have good power numbers.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't see much point in trying to move Davis, TBH...he makes basically nothing (about 600k) and can be sent down to AAA any time, IIRC. He'd be almost zero value in a trade, unless some team had a rash of OF injuries and needed a cheap replacement.

I'd be inclined to hang onto him and use him much like Charlie has been so far this season. Late inning pinch running (sort of like Dave Roberts was for the Red Sox back in '04) or as a defensive replacement when you have a lead.....

I've been on the dump Jansen bandwagon for a while now. he calls a decent game, but for my money, a major league catcher has to either hit .250, or have good power numbers.

Depends on Dickerson, because if he becomes healthy enough there is absolutely no room for Davis and it's going to be interesting with the rest of the OF then as well, although I do like that pinch runner option with speed, but not enough imo to keep him because if they have to rely on his bat at any time, that could be bad and I wouldn't want that.

The bat is the issue, especially when you're trying to win, you need a catcher who can hit and move the lineup back to the top and keep it going, that's what wins you playoff games, and he isn't good enough for that and why he needs to be moved.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

i would have posted Huckleberry Hound....but I figured Chuck could find that himself....B)

When I searched Darlin Clementine it suggested Darling Clementine, and it showed a movie from 1947, so I was like I guess that's what he's implying but I'm not that old so not really sure...

6 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Depends on Dickerson, because if he becomes healthy enough there is absolutely no room for Davis and it's going to be interesting with the rest of the OF then as well, although I do like that pinch runner option with speed, but not enough imo to keep him because if they have to rely on his bat at any time, that could be bad and I wouldn't want that.

The bat is the issue, especially when you're trying to win, you need a catcher who can hit and move the lineup back to the top and keep it going, that's what wins you playoff games, and he isn't good enough for that and why he needs to be moved.

Rosters are expanded in the postseason and if Dickerson gets healthy before then, Davis can be sent to AAA.

I'm certainly not against trading him, I just don't see anyone giving us anything of value in return.

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Rosters are expanded in the postseason and if Dickerson gets healthy before then, Davis can be sent to AAA.

I'm certainly not against trading him, I just don't see anyone giving us anything of value in return.

Not straight up definitely no value, but that's why I suggested using him as throw in basically in a package deal to maybe help persuade the other team involved maybe

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Not straight up definitely no value, but that's why I suggested using him as throw in basically in a package deal to maybe help persuade the other team involved maybe

It's possible....if I were Shatkins and the other GM said you need to throw Davis in to get this done, it would take me about a millisecond.....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's possible....if I were Shatkins and the other GM said you need to throw Davis in to get this done, it would take me about a millisecond.....

Or Shatkins sells it to them I will throw in Davis, he just hasn't had the opportunity here with the guys we have, I believe a fresh start and opportunity would do wonders for him, and with his speed he could really excel if given the opportunity to play everyday :lol:

15 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Or Shatkins sells it to them I will throw in Davis, he just hasn't had the opportunity here with the guys we have, I believe a fresh start and opportunity would do wonders for him, and with his speed he could really excel if given the opportunity to play everyday :lol:

Yeah, if there was an MLB GM that he could sell using that line, he'd probably want to keep him on speed dial....

• Haha 1

Still don't like seeing Springer in between Guerrero and Hernandez, I noticed this happened a few games ago and see it's still happening, Vlad/Teo were a nice combo I wouldn't of split them up, Springer hasn't had a hit in 3 straight games could be 4 if he doesn't get one today, I don't understand this splitting up a good combo that was doing good.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'm with Rupe on this one. I don't see Davis having any sort of value in a trade. His best value is as organizational depth with the ability to shuttle between AAA and Toronto. Plays good defense, runs very well, low-maintenance guy. I'd always pulled for him hoping that he could sort it out once he focused solely on baseball but I think the lack of playing time (and more specifically, at-bats) during some of those crucial development years that he was splitting between baseball and football ultimately hurt him. 

He's not Bo Jackson but still a pretty phenomenal athlete to have played football and baseball at the levels he has. I'll pull for a guy like that.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I remember sighing every time Pat Borders came to the plate, well minus his mvp world series, and then i saw Jansens avg around .173 or something. 

Might as well use the dh slot for him and let the pitchers hit, though im not sure you can do that or if its ever been done. 

Jeebus, even Dickeys personal knuckle catcher hit better i think. 

6 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

I remember sighing every time Pat Borders came to the plate, well minus his mvp world series, and then i saw Jansens avg around .173 or something. 

Might as well use the dh slot for him and let the pitchers hit, though im not sure you can do that or if its ever been done. 

Jeebus, even Dickeys personal knuckle catcher hit better i think. 

Didn't Bumgarner hit for himself in an AL game sometime in the last few years?

20 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I'm with Rupe on this one. I don't see Davis having any sort of value in a trade. His best value is as organizational depth with the ability to shuttle between AAA and Toronto. Plays good defense, runs very well, low-maintenance guy. I'd always pulled for him hoping that he could sort it out once he focused solely on baseball but I think the lack of playing time (and more specifically, at-bats) during some of those crucial development years that he was splitting between baseball and football ultimately hurt him. 

He's not Bo Jackson but still a pretty phenomenal athlete to have played football and baseball at the levels he has. I'll pull for a guy like that.

Well I wouldn't be trying to keep him tbh, if he stays he stays, but if you can move him that helps a trade in anyway you move him. 

Props to him being a multi sport athlete, but that's not enough for me to want to hang onto him at 29, maybe if he was still 23 I would have an approach more like you and Rupe, but at his age his window has basically closed, I just wouldn't be against moving him at all.

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well I wouldn't be trying to keep him tbh, if he stays he stays, but if you can move him that helps a trade in anyway you move him. 

Props to him being a multi sport athlete, but that's not enough for me to want to hang onto him at 29, maybe if he was still 23 I would have an approach more like you and Rupe, but at his age his window has basically closed, I just wouldn't be against moving him at all.

I think his trade value is something like “a player to be named later”. Just not much. He’s decent organizational depth that doesn’t cost much of anything and can move between the big club and AAA without issue. By no means a star player but a worthwhile player to keep around. Most players that are going to be an upgrade are also going to expect to play more than he does and stick with the big club full time. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I think his trade value is something like “a player to be named later”. Just not much. He’s decent organizational depth that doesn’t cost much of anything and can move between the big club and AAA without issue. By no means a star player but a worthwhile player to keep around. Most players that are going to be an upgrade are also going to expect to play more than he does and stick with the big club full time. 

I disagree strongly with this assessment, because if you can save a younger prospect instead by throwing in Davis to help complete a trade you do it, you don't hang onto him because he's cheap and easy to move in the organization, if he can help protect from losing a younger prospect in anyway you move him. If I'm Shatkins I'm trying to sell him to any other GM in a trade deal over any younger prospect we have, now I'm not saying it will be successful but I'm not going to try and not move him that's for sure. 

27 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I disagree strongly with this assessment, because if you can save a younger prospect instead by throwing in Davis to help complete a trade you do it, you don't hang onto him because he's cheap and easy to move in the organization, if he can help protect from losing a younger prospect in anyway you move him. If I'm Shatkins I'm trying to sell him to any other GM in a trade deal over any younger prospect we have, now I'm not saying it will be successful but I'm not going to try and not move him that's for sure. 

He likely has about zero trade value. In comparison to prospects he'd probably have similar value to a prospect ranked no higher than #30 in the Jays system, or in other words, a prospect who would be a huge longshot to turn out even as good as Davis.

18 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

He likely has about zero trade value. In comparison to prospects he'd probably have similar value to a prospect ranked no higher than #30 in the Jays system, or in other words, a prospect who would be a huge longshot to turn out even as good as Davis.

If you're adding him to hopefully sweeten a deal I definitely don't see a problem with doing that, but again if I'm Shatkins I'm leading with Davis as the sweetener before any younger prospects to hopefully protect them, again not saying it will work but you start with him imo, before showing your cards with your younger prospects. 

Even as a sweetener, Davis has literally no value. Cash considerations would hold more value than Davis. It’s not like he’s 25yrs old hoping to breakout. He’s 29 yrs old, and probably wouldn’t even crack the 40-man roster on most teams.