The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

Rate this topic

The Stork

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I disagree strongly with this assessment, because if you can save a younger prospect instead by throwing in Davis to help complete a trade you do it, you don't hang onto him because he's cheap and easy to move in the organization, if he can help protect from losing a younger prospect in anyway you move him. If I'm Shatkins I'm trying to sell him to any other GM in a trade deal over any younger prospect we have, now I'm not saying it will be successful but I'm not going to try and not move him that's for sure. 

But you can't.

No GM is going to take a 30 yr old journeyman who's never managed to grab a regular spot, instead of a prospect. That's the sort of thing that happens in movies, but not real life.

If you want to get anything of value in a trade, you have to give up something of value...

20 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

But you can't.

No GM is going to take a 30 yr old journeyman who's never managed to grab a regular spot, instead of a prospect. That's the sort of thing that happens in movies, but not real life.

If you want to get anything of value in a trade, you have to give up something of value...

So you're going to tell me if you were the GM and you had a trade going say Grichuk and Dolis and you were getting 2 players back one similar to Grichuk and an arm slightly better then Dolis, but the other team is kind of hesitant about it, your logic is because in your mind you can't move Davis at all I'm not even going to try to add him to this deal to help persue them instead I'm just going to throw in a younger prospect instead.... A team that's maybe a little weak on outfield or has injuries would consider it just to fill a spot for the time being especially if they're basically getting him for free in a deal.

22 hours ago, shiznak said:

Even as a sweetener, Davis has literally no value. Cash considerations would hold more value than Davis. It’s not like he’s 25yrs old hoping to breakout. He’s 29 yrs old, and probably wouldn’t even crack the 40-man roster on most teams.

On most teams... So why was he on the Jays 40 man roster about 3 weeks ago and only was removed from the 40 man roster due to family reasons... What does that say about the Jays roster then? So he's not good enough to crack other teams 40 man rosters but he's good enough to crack the Jays 40 man roster....

June 18th 2021

The Blue Jays are transferring outfielder Jonathan Davis from the paternity list to the restricted list, reports Scott Mitchell of TSN (Twitter link). Players on the paternity list are allotted a maximum of 72 hours away from the team, but Davis will take an extra few days with his family. The 29-year-old isn’t expected to be out for long, but his transfer will temporarily free up a 40-man roster spot for Toronto.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

20 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I had it in my mind that Davis was the dual sport guy. Turns out it was Alford. Huh. 

Yeah when I saw he was 5'8 I was like that seems a little small to be playing professional football and he looks a little thin, but didn't bother to look it up or anything, but it makes sense now :lol:

12 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

So you're going to tell me if you were the GM and you had a trade going say Grichuk and Dolis and you were getting 2 players back one similar to Grichuk and an arm slightly better then Dolis, but the other team is kind of hesitant about it, your logic is because in your mind you can't move Davis at all I'm not even going to try to add him to this deal to help persue them instead I'm just going to throw in a younger prospect instead.... A team that's maybe a little weak on outfield or has injuries would consider it just to fill a spot for the time being especially if they're basically getting him for free in a deal.

Not what I'm saying at all.....sure you give it a shot, but I don't believe a player like Davis moves the needle for the opposing GM at all....

Also, your hypothetical trade makes little sense to me. You wouldn't move Grichuk to get a "similar player" back and you wouldn't include Dolis. Grichuk, although having an excellent year, plays a position that is an area of strength for the Jays. If you move him, you do it to address an area of weakness. Right now, that's the bullpen.

For that same reason, it makes no sense to include Dolis, because even though he's had his struggles lately, he has been effective in the past and moving him just weakens further the area you're trying to upgrade. Besides that, his current struggles mean his value is low and much like Jonathan Davis, would bring little if anything of value in return.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not what I'm saying at all.....sure you give it a shot, but I don't believe a player like Davis moves the needle for the opposing GM at all....

Also, your hypothetical trade makes little sense to me. You wouldn't move Grichuk to get a "similar player" back and you wouldn't include Dolis. Grichuk, although having an excellent year, plays a position that is an area of strength for the Jays. If you move him, you do it to address an area of weakness. Right now, that's the bullpen.

For that same reason, it makes no sense to include Dolis, because even though he's had his struggles lately, he has been effective in the past and moving him just weakens further the area you're trying to upgrade. Besides that, his current struggles mean his value is low and much like Jonathan Davis, would bring little if anything of value in return.

The problem with you and sean I believe you kept thinking in your minds I wanted to trade Davis for like one for one and expecting a good value back, but never once did I say this or imply this, but it seemed like you guys had this stuck in your head. I made that trade proposal to show you a better picture of what I'm wanting to do with Davis, and added Grichuk in there just for you because you want him moved over Gurriel and I don't,  I don't even want to trade Grichuk I just did that to show you something :lol:

16 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

The problem with you and sean I believe you kept thinking in your minds I wanted to trade Davis for like one for one and expecting a good value back, but never once did I say this or imply this, but it seemed like you guys had this stuck in your head. I made that trade proposal to show you a better picture of what I'm wanting to do with Davis, and added Grichuk in there just for you because you want him moved over Gurriel and I don't,  I don't even want to trade Grichuk I just did that to show you something :lol:

Well you can try to include David instead of a prospect but I doubt any GM’s would bite on it unless that prospect was like a 24 year old struggling in high A, I.e.: an incredible long shot to make the bigs. Davis is the kind of player who would get moved for a player to be named later or maybe cash considerations, but more likely the former. 

• Hydration 1

15 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Really? Based on this conversation, it appears as though you want to trade our 5th outfielder and a middle reliever who's currently struggling.

I, OTOH, would get behind (depending on where you slot Grichuk on the depth chart) our 3rd or 4th outfielder who's having a career year, along his 10 million dollar contract for bullpen help.

Now going back over our conversation, it appears as though there was one post where you countered Grichuk with Gurriel and that does make some sense. However, if I was the GM, I'd prefer to keep the guy who's 2 years younger and locked in for three more years at 3 million AAV, rather than the guy who has the balance of this season and two more a 10 million per.

That is also besides the fact that I believe Grichuk is having a career year and Gurriel is just coming into his own. However, this is just speculation on my part and is certainly up for debate.

6 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Well you can try to include David instead of a prospect but I doubt any GM’s would bite on it unless that prospect was like a 24 year old struggling in high A, I.e.: an incredible long shot to make the bigs. Davis is the kind of player who would get moved for a player to be named later or maybe cash considerations, but more likely the former. 

You have to have that mindset of trying to get ride of dead weight first, and not getting ride of prospects first, but if your mind is already set on trading prospects over other dead weight sounds like an automatic fail approach imo. If it was a single trade regarding Davis then yes I agree just cash, or player to be named later, but if you're throwing him in to sweeten a trade for free you do it over throwing a prospect in there first, you don't just show your cards right away.

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Really? Based on this conversation, it appears as though you want to trade our 5th outfielder and a middle reliever who's currently struggling.

I, OTOH, would get behind (depending on where you slot Grichuk on the depth chart) our 3rd or 4th outfielder who's having a career year, along his 10 million dollar contract for bullpen help.

Now going back over our conversation, it appears as though there was one post where you countered Grichuk with Gurriel and that does make some sense. However, if I was the GM, I'd prefer to keep the guy who's 2 years younger and locked in for three more years at 3 million AAV, rather than the guy who has the balance of this season and two more a 10 million per.

That is also besides the fact that I believe Grichuk is having a career year and Gurriel is just coming into his own. However, this is just speculation on my part and is certainly up for debate.

Damn right I want to move Dolis he's trash, if you want to have games blown out more I guess you keep him, but I prefer to win so I'd get ride of him asap, he shows no emotion when throwing it looks like he's just there to throw the ball and get paid, I want someone who looks like they actually care to throw the ball. I'm also banking on Dickerson to heal up to be our 5th outfielder maybe 4th if he heals up and starts hitting like he has in the past, but that is also lingering in my mind for moving certain players.

I wouldn't care so much on the 10M and freeing that up, they have space to add dollars if they acquire someone. Tbh when the Jays originally signed Grichuk I was against it I didn't think he was worth that much, but props to him because he changed my mind over the last few years, he definitely wasn't no Mike Trout, but he got the job done with some decent numbers and I feel he's one of those clutch guys who you can rely on deep in a game to get a hit, where Gurriel I'm still skeptical he can be clutch enough when you need that hit.

We agreed to disagree on the Grichuk or Gurriel conversation and when comparing the two players in WAR Grichuk is the better player, so I don't want Grichuk traded I want Gurriel traded if anyone of the two, but I also said if they can move other players and save Grichuk and Gurriel I would be in favor for that, but that's a stretch I do believe one of then has to be moved though.

14 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

On most teams... So why was he on the Jays 40 man roster about 3 weeks ago and only was removed from the 40 man roster due to family reasons... What does that say about the Jays roster then? So he's not good enough to crack other teams 40 man rosters but he's good enough to crack the Jays 40 man roster....

June 18th 2021

The Blue Jays are transferring outfielder Jonathan Davis from the paternity list to the restricted list, reports Scott Mitchell of TSN (Twitter link). Players on the paternity list are allotted a maximum of 72 hours away from the team, but Davis will take an extra few days with his family. The 29-year-old isn’t expected to be out for long, but his transfer will temporarily free up a 40-man roster spot for Toronto.

Because the Jays have Yates, Phleps, Merryweather, Borucki, and Cole all on the 60-day IR. Once one of these players come off the 60-day IR. Davis is most likely going to be DFA. 

I mean, think of it like this……do you think teams would want a guy like Vesey as a sweetener if the Canucks offer him in a deal? 

• Hydration 1

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Oof, just wait until Guerrero overtakes Ohtani.  Smith's brain will explode.

As fans we don’t care where someone is from.  We just want to have the best players, and win.  I’m sure all the players feel the same way.  

• Upvote 1

Soooo....what are people's feelings about Pete Alonso? Cocky? Confident? A breath of fresh air?

I was one of the few who defended Nikita Kucherov after his post game comments, so I have to say that I like the fact that Alonso is so into the HR Derby and isn't afraid to show it. That being said, I was a bit surprised to hear him say "I think I'm the best power hitter in baseball" after last night's Derby win.

My first reaction was, "No Pete, you're the best BP power hitter in baseball. Right now, 30 MLB players have more HRs than you and 40 have more RBI".....

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, shiznak said:

Because the Jays have Yates, Phleps, Merryweather, Borucki, and Cole all on the 60-day IR. Once one of these players come off the 60-day IR. Davis is most likely going to be DFA. 

I mean, think of it like this……do you think teams would want a guy like Vesey as a sweetener if the Canucks offer him in a deal? 

You do realize Davis is not a pitcher right? You listed all the pictchers on the IR, normally when a pitcher is injured you call up another pitcher not an OF.... If anything you should of just said because Springer was injured that's why he was up lol, but instead you want to use players that had no reason for him being up.

I guess the Jays are the only team in the MLB with injuries, no other teams have those issues I guess, no other teams have pitchers on the IR that they want to bring up an OF instead to replace the pitcher with :lol:

I believe you should try and shop him first before shopping your prospects first, that's a no brainer.

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

This guy is a clown, someone posted a video of him taking about the NHL playoffs recently I believe it was BoKnows he seems to like this Stephen guy, I can't stand this guy I saw a video of him and that other guy having a debate about a year ago and I was shocked people actually watch and listen to these clowns. 

Regarding this issue with Ohtani, his apology is meaningless because I saw on his twitter before he apologized he actually double down and posted another video trying to claim the same thing he did on the show earlier in the day. After trying it twice and realizing he's not getting the reaction he wanted from people he then apologized, get this clown out of here.

Oh and he supposedly yesterday also got flamed for how he pronounced some Nigerian players name for Basketball I guess they weren't happy with him as well.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Hydration 1

55 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

You do realize Davis is not a pitcher right? You listed all the pictchers on the IR, normally when a pitcher is injured you call up another pitcher not an OF.... If anything you should of just said because Springer was injured that's why he was up lol, but instead you want to use players that had no reason for him being up.

I guess the Jays are the only team in the MLB with injuries, no other teams have those issues I guess, no other teams have pitchers on the IR that they want to bring up an OF instead to replace the pitcher with :lol:

I believe you should try and shop him first before shopping your prospects first, that's a no brainer.

It’s pretty common practice for a team to add a position player when a bullpen arm goes out, or vice versa more commonly. 

• Hydration 1