Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

It’s pretty common practice for a team to add a position player when a bullpen arm goes out, or vice versa more commonly. 

There are a few factors involved with that statement, yes it can happen, but not always and it also depends on who you're already carrying on the team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Soooo....what are people's feelings about Pete Alonso? Cocky? Confident? A breath of fresh air?

 

I was one of the few who defended Nikita Kucherov after his post game comments, so I have to say that I like the fact that Alonso is so into the HR Derby and isn't afraid to show it. That being said, I was a bit surprised to hear him say "I think I'm the best power hitter in baseball" after last night's Derby win.

 

My first reaction was, "No Pete, you're the best BP power hitter in baseball. Right now, 30 MLB players have more HRs than you and 40 have more RBI".....

You could even argue he's not even the best BP power hitter, he's just benefitted from his bracket by the looks of things.  Last time Guerrero stole the show but had to expend too much energy to get to the final.  Last night Ohtani and Soto kinda stole the show, meanwhile Alonso sneaks through and wins it in the final.  I'm not trying to take too much away from him and he's allowed to be a little cocky for his accomplishment, but he can't say he hasn't had some luck along the way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

You could even argue he's not even the best BP power hitter, he's just benefitted from his bracket by the looks of things.  Last time Guerrero stole the show but had to expend too much energy to get to the final.  Last night Ohtani and Soto kinda stole the show, meanwhile Alonso sneaks through and wins it in the final.  I'm not trying to take too much away from him and he's allowed to be a little cocky for his accomplishment, but he can't say he hasn't had some luck along the way.

I think his 35 in the first round suggests he's the real deal, but yes, his path was a bit easier.

 

I was pulling for Soto as the competition went on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Soooo....what are people's feelings about Pete Alonso? Cocky? Confident? A breath of fresh air?

 

I was one of the few who defended Nikita Kucherov after his post game comments, so I have to say that I like the fact that Alonso is so into the HR Derby and isn't afraid to show it. That being said, I was a bit surprised to hear him say "I think I'm the best power hitter in baseball" after last night's Derby win.

 

My first reaction was, "No Pete, you're the best BP power hitter in baseball. Right now, 30 MLB players have more HRs than you and 40 have more RBI".....

He's definitely a beast in the HR derby, watching him walk up and crush the first one in the finals was fun to watch, you just knew he was winning. 

 

Let him be cocky that doesn't me, maybe it will help someone like Vladdy step up again and compete next year to shut him up lol, but as long as Pete doesn't trash the league that he's playing in at the same time, then all good, unlike Kuch crying about who wins the Vezna.

 

As you mentioned when you look at stats others are doing better then him, so he can say what he wants but they may not mean much :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

He's definitely a beast in the HR derby, watching him walk up and crush the first one in the finals was fun to watch, you just knew he was winning. 

 

Let him be cocky that doesn't me, maybe it will help someone like Vladdy step up again and compete next year to shut him up lol, but as long as Pete doesn't trash the league that he's playing in at the same time, then all good, unlike Kuch crying about who wins the Vezna.

 

As you mentioned when you look at stats others are doing better then him, so he can say what he wants but they may not mean much :lol:

That's the thing though Chuck....I don't think anyone else in baseball cares enough to try. Look at everyone else in the field. Laughing and joking around after losing....Mancini acknowledging that he was probably going to lose before Alonso even hit...

 

I get the feeling that PA would have been pissed....

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That's the thing though Chuck....I don't think anyone else in baseball cares enough to try. Look at everyone else in the field. Laughing and joking around after losing....Mancini acknowledging that he was probably going to lose before Alonso even hit...

 

I get the feeling that PA would have been pissed....

I do hope that's not true, I'm not going to ignore that could be a possibility, but I also see a guy who's now won it back to back and basically rubbing it into everyone's faces that no one can beat him, by doing this other players may not show it emotionally but inside because of their competitive nature it does bug them a bit even if their not showing it at the moment. Some players though also can acknowledge when someone is just better and they probably have no chance but will still take in every moment and just enjoy it and try their best. 

 

I feel what Pete is doing is actually kind of helping the HR derby to make it more exciting by being cocky, it may help persuade someone else to try and take his spot now. Maybe another incentive to get someone else to try and beat him next year, no one has ever won the HR derby 3 consecutive times in a row, Pete now has a chance at that next year maybe someone would want to try and prevent that....

Link to post
Share on other sites

What I really liked seeing last night at the Derby was seeing Ken Griffey Jr. The guy was my idol growing up, I even went to Seattle for his jersey retirement ceremony years ago, I so wanted them to give him a bat let him try and hit one out :lol:, but wow his gut has grown even more :lol: 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, gurn said:

Hey,   Alonso, try to tell us how you won the derby in 2019, with 34 fewer homers than Vlad.

2019DERBY.jpg

He had less than Joc Pederson too....

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

What I really liked seeing last night at the Derby was seeing Ken Griffey Jr. The guy was my idol growing up, I even went to Seattle for his jersey retirement ceremony years ago, I so wanted them to give him a bat let him try and hit one out :lol:, but wow his gut has grown even more :lol: 

Best non juicer in baseball, him or Ichiro.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

That right there is exactly why I believe he is the best player to ever play the game, period.

Pretty sure Willie Mays wasn't juicing either, but hard to argue....

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

After almost decapitating Scherzer in his 1st at bat, that was an absolute bomb by Guerrero in his 2nd at bat.

468 ft.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nights like last night remind me that we're lucky that this guy is in a Jay uniform and we get to watch him night in/night out.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The American League dominance at the All-Star Game continued Tuesday night.

The AL, after jumping out to a quick 4-0 lead, rolled to a 5-2 win over the National League at Coors Field in Denver. That win marked the AL's eighth straight win in the contest dating back to 2013.

Blue Jays star Vladimir Guerrero Jr. was named the game's MVP after he hit a deep home run in the third inning to give the AL an early 2-0 lead. At 22, he became the youngest ASG MVP.

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. of the Toronto Blue Jays
 
Vladimir Guerrero Jr. of the Toronto Blue Jays is now the youngest MVP in All-Star Game history. (Dustin Bradford/Getty Images)

Vlad Jr. wins MVP after deep home run

Guerrero smashed a home run in the third inning, a smack that left Tatis stunned in the outfield.

Guerrero drilled a 468-foot shot over the left field wall off Corbin Burnes to put the AL up 2-0. Tatis, who was already on the screen on the Fox broadcast, instantly threw his hands onto his head.

Guerrero has 28 home runs this season, second behind only Ohtani. He is the second-youngest player in All-Star history to hit a home run in the game, and claimed the 200th homer in the game's history.

The Fox Deportes call was incredibly fun, too, as Dominican rapper El Alfa El Jefe was in the booth when Guerrero — whose dad was born in the Dominican Republic — homered.

He honored his dad with a custom glove of the two of them, back when his dad played for the Montreal Expos.

Guerrero then hit an RBI in the fifth, sending Teoscar Hernandez home to put the AL up by three. Xander Bogaerts followed with a single to right that allowed Cedric Mullins to score.

Shohei Ohtani’s historic first inning

Angels star Shohei Ohtani made history Tuesday night, and had a near-perfect opening inning in Denver.

Ohtani became the first player in league history to make an All-Star game as a pitcher and a position player, and he started out the game for the AL.

He led off for the AL with a ground out. He then took the mound and got Fernando Tatis Jr. out on a fly ball, and both Max Muncy and Nolan Arenado on groundouts to end the inning.

As far as opening innings go, Ohtani had a great one.

And, perhaps most important, he got the win.

J.T. Realmuto finally puts NL on the board

In the bottom of the fifth inning, the NL made it onto the board.

Phillies catcher J.T. Realmuto hit a home run of his own 430 feet out to right field for the NL's first run of the game.

Any momentum from that didn’t last long. Rays catcher Mike Zunino responded with a homer of his own in the next inning to put the AL back up four runs.

Padres third baseman stole home for the NL in the bottom of the sixth, but that’s all they could get on the board with the bases loaded.

They came close a few times the rest of the way — the NL had the bases loaded again in the eighth, but couldn’t get anyone in their, either — but it was too late. The AL rolled through to the three-run win.

MLB gives Billye Aaron standing ovation

Just like it did the day before during the home run derby, the league honored Hank Aaron ahead of the All-Star Game on Tuesday night.

The Atlanta braves legend and former home run king died in January. He was 86.

Aaron’s late wife, Billye Aaron, received a standing ovation at home plate ahead of the game at Coors Field after Aaron Judge and Freddie Freeman walked out with her. The field also had two No. 44 decals in the outfield.

All competitors in the home run derby honored the Hall of Famer by wearing his No. 44 on Monday night, too.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's a small sample size, but I think one of the things that got swept under the rug a bit was the absolutely filthy pitching performance by Freddy Peralta...

 

He just blew away three all-stars (Adolis Garcia, JD Martinez and Matt Olson) all on strike outs, while throwing only 12 pitches in doing so....:blink:

 

It looks like the Brewers have a real gem there....

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...