The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

48 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

True dat. I figure Martinez processed what he saw from the Devers at bat and from his at bat, and made a good guess/reacted to the high fast ball (as you've been saying). Maybe if the target location was moved up just a bit then that could have been strike three, or a pop up.

If Romano keeps going for the fast ball as his go to pitch then, yeah, the Jays will be in trouble. The very next at bat (to Renfroe, with the count 1-2) Romano tries to strike him out with the same fast ball and that ball goes out.

regards,  G.

Yep. Even though the pitch to Refroe was a pedestrian 98 MPH, it was even more inexcusable, IMO, considering what JDM had just done with that same pitch in the previous at bat....

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, shiznak said:

It didn’t help Romano that he hasn’t pitched over a week and a half. His last outing was the 11th of July.

True dat, but you have to get back on the horse at some time (and all those type of sports things to say). And the coaches would have had to be pretty sure that Romano was ready to go, so if there's a failing on that point then people should look to them and not Romano.

It's not like he was out there all on his own. The catcher would be expressing an opinion of what to throw, and the bench would certainly have a strong, situational input, if not a final say on pitches. If they were calling for a slider and he shook them off because he wanted to throw a fast ball, then the coaching staff needs to sit him down for a talk, and maybe have him take some more time off.

regards,  G.

Looking at the standings it says the Jays are 4.0 games back of a wild card spot, Oakland has 56 wins Jays have 49 wins I'd say they're 7 games back really, without getting the pitching help I just don't think it's possible for the Jays. Blame management on this one imo, they've waited too long should of done something before, should of never signed Springer and just got help for what you needed PITCHING, just seems like a waste of a season because they couldn't address the area that needed to be fixed before the season started, and they still can't get help, what a waste. 

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Looking at the standings it says the Jays are 4.0 games back of a wild card spot, Oakland has 56 wins Jays have 49 wins I'd say they're 7 games back really, without getting the pitching help I just don't think it's possible for the Jays. Blame management on this one imo, they've waited too long should of done something before, should of never signed Springer and just got help for what you needed PITCHING, just seems like a waste of a season because they couldn't address the area that needed to be fixed before the season started, and they still can't get help, what a waste. 

They lost too many pitchers 

David Phelps

KIrby Yates       both gone for the year

Carl Edwards has been out since June 17, expected back Aug17

This link shows them missing 8 pitchers.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/teams/TOR/toronto-blue-jays/injuries/

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, gurn said:

They lost too many pitchers 

David Phelps

KIrby Yates       both gone for the year

Carl Edwards has been out since June 17, expected back Aug17

This link shows them missing 8 pitchers.

Don't see any link, but I know they took a hit early with injuries, but they still didn't really do anything before the season to get an ace starter in what they needed to compete, and definitely another strong middle reliever, instead they decided to spend the money on Springer to boast their offense when that was needed.....

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, gurn said:

Tonight's game has me almost convinced the Jays should be sellers.

I don't think they can trade for enough bull pen help, which they desperately need.

I don't know if they need to outright sell, since their biggest trade chips (Semein and Ray) would both net the Jays a compensatory draft pick if the team qualies them and they walk in free agency, but there's no way I want to see them go shopping for rentals.

The bullpen obviously is an issue (and the bullpen management to be frank), but so is this team's ability to hit in the clutch. Seems they only ever win blowout games. I don't know if there's an in-season fix for that.

Actually, on that last point, if the Jays can make a move to bolster the bottom of the order, they should. They have a lot of aggressive hitters in the back half that aren't great at getting on base (Grichuk, Gurriel and lately Biggio).

Edited by Brad Marchand

I think there needs to be given some credit to the Red Sox which are an absolute powerhouse with Devers and Verdugo. Not to mention that the AL East is pretty stacked with the Rays, Red Sox and Yankees.

Blue Jays need some bullpen help to close out games , though.

• Cheers 1

Watching that game, it was like I knew it was going to happen.....late innings, close game, a team the Jays are trying to gain ground on....you just expect it to go south. <_<

What really stings about this one is that Verdugo's homer came on 2-0 count, one pitch after Trevor Richards was squeezed by the home plate ump. It looked like a strike to me and I doubt Verdugo would have been able to sit fastball and tee off on it as he did, if the count was 1-1....

Still, this is a pattern for the Jays. They're now 6-12 in one or two run games, while the Red Sox and Rays sit near the top of the AL in that category. You really don't have to look much further to see why the standings are as they are.

I give Shatkins credit for acquiring Richards and Adam Cimber, but it isn't enough. They need to get busy for it's too late to reel in a Wild Card spot....

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mj2345 said:

Jays game postponed :(

I'm getting my fix watching Jose Bautista playing for the Dominican Republic against Japan at the Olympics....

....a couple of other former Jays in the DR lineup as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mj2345 said:

MLB News…Yankees are finalizing a deal to acquire Joey Gallo..

This could be a problem for your team, however, I understand that the Jays have interest in a number of pretty good relievers, so not all is lost! You have the hitting, and the fielding isn't any more of a problem than it is for a lot of teams.

And, these relievers will probably cost a lost less than Gallo as far as futures go.

regards,  G.

On 7/26/2021 at 7:35 PM, gurn said:

Tonight's game has me almost convinced the Jays should be sellers.

I don't think they can trade for enough bull pen help, which they desperately need.

The single reason we’re in the position we are right now. There’s still about a month and a half left but having this good of an offense only to miss the playoffs because your bullpen couldn’t hold a lead would be beyond embarrassing. 

• Upvote 1

Jays have acquired reliever Brad Hand from the Nats, for catching prospect Riley Adams.

Very happy with this deal, as Hand can either close, or set up Romano to close. Adams wasn't the Jays' top catching prospect, so the cost is minimal.

I still think the team needs to add a back of the rotation starter. The performance by Matz yesterday (and lately) doesn't inspire confidence.

• Upvote 1