The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I agree it should've been addressed 2 months ago, but I doubt many of the pitchers were available 2 months ago.  That's where Berrios being here for next year is big (and hopefully beyond...if this ends up being for only 14 months I'll be a little disappointed).

Well he’s got two years of club control beyond this, doesn’t he? I like that aspect of the trade. I just think they sold off two very high end prospects for a somewhat middling arm. 

42 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I’ve decided I don’t like this trade for the Jays. 

Yeah, I’m not sure if I like this trade either. Especially, when the Dodgers got Turner AND Scherzer for two of Washington’s top prospects.

Edited by shiznak

11 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Yeah, I’m not sure if I like this trade either. Especially, when the Dodgers got Turner AND Scherzer for two of Washington’s top prospects.

Yeah, the club control for two years adds on to the value but I don’t think Berrios is a quality enough arm to justify what they’ve given away. 

2 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Yeah, the club control for two years adds on to the value but I don’t think Berrios is a quality enough arm to justify what they’ve given away. 

Turner is signed for another year and provides the Jays with another guy who can get on base. Scherzer would be a rental, but he’s a more established pitcher than Berrios.

This trade would have killed two birds with one stone.

1 minute ago, shiznak said:

Turner is signed for another year and provides the Jays with another guy who can get on base. Scherzer would be a rental, but he’s a more established pitcher than Berrios.

This trade would have killed two birds with one stone.

Turner would’ve been a good fit at the top of the lineup and although Scherzer would be a rental, at least you know you’re getting a legitimate high end arm with him. 

Berrios is young enough that maybe he can take another step with them and become a legitimate #2 with the Jays. That would help make this trade more palatable to me. 

Berrios has to be lights out for us to justify what we’ve given up to get him. Hopefully he can be our 2nd ace behind Ryu. If not, then we just gave up two high end prospects who would’ve been impact players for us in the near future. It’s the wait and see game now

3 hours ago, Bure_of_94 said:

Anyone know much about the reliever we picked up today. I’m familiar with the name, but would be lying if I could say I know his pitches or can recall him. 

I could be wrong here (don’t think I’ve seen him pitch much since he was last in KC) but if I remember correctly he’s mostly a fastball/cutter/slider guy. I think his fastball used to be decent , like up to 95 (which I guess isn’t all that much by today’s standards), but he’s pretty long in the tooth now so he might’ve lost some MPH’s. He’s had some good years in the big leagues for sure though. 

• Cheers 1

So new Blue Jay reliever Hand pitching in the top of 8th, watches as Bichette misses Vladdy at first, and then nobody is covering home plate as the KC player goes from 1st to home.

Welcome to the team new guy.

Little lengthy of a watch, but I like this guys excitement in the Berrios trade, and he also points out some valid points regarding prospects and heck even jays history a bit in trading prospects and how they have worked out. For someone like myself who was a little skeptical of the trade, this guys opinion on it helps me accept it a bit more, but like all moves will definitely be keeping an eye on it for the next while, and obviously time will tell.

Saw this tweet and wanted to post it as well.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

53 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

Joey Votto 7 straight games with a HR

https://www.tsn.ca/joey-votto-home-run-seven-games-1.1675818

The Canadian homered in his seventh straight game Friday night and now sits one behind the MLB record of eight consecutive games with a home run.

With the Reds on top 2-1 in the top of the sixth inning, Votto took a 2-0 offering from New York Mets right-hander Drew Smith up and over the centre field wall for his 21st of the season. He also surpassed Trail, B.C., native Jason Bay as the Canadian MLB record holder with homers in six straight games. 

Ken Griffey Jr. (1993), Don Mattingly (1987) and Dale Long (1956) all hold the MLB record with eight.

Votto came into Friday with a batting average of .278 and OPS of .930 in 74 games so far this season.

The Reds will continue their series with the Mets Saturday at Citi Field.

11 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Hoping that this homecoming sparks a strong finish to the season.

4.5 out of wild card

Rays  and Yankees are 3.5 ooc.

Jays have 7 games against the Yankees still to play

6 against Rays

They can catch those teams, but the bull pen HAS to stop blowing games.

• Cheers 2