The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

Rate this topic

The Stork

7 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I found this thing on youtube yesterday it was so cool, from back in 1959 it was a weekly Home Run Derby show they had with certain players from almost every team, 2 hitters, 9 innings, 3 outs an inning, and who can hit the most home runs winner moves on for the following week matchup. Check out the first episode Mickey Mantle vs Willie Mays.

If I was going to build a baseball team, and I could pick either of those two guys as my first draft choice, Mantle would have been a great second choice.

regards,  G.

On 8/1/2021 at 3:54 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

Cool story out of Chicago....

With the Cubbies trading pretty much everybody away at the deadline, they had give playing time to players who might not normally be starting for an MLB club. One guy pressed into a starting role is a 30 year old journeyman named Raphael Ortega. Ortega has played for 4 MLB teams and over the course of 447 career at bats had hit a total of 4 HRs...

He just hit his 4th HR in the past two days playing on the North Side:

https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2021/8/1/22604879/cubs-nationals-recap-rafael-ortega-adbert-alzolay-mlb-scores

On 8/1/2021 at 4:09 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

:lol:

"Anyone got a scouting report on this Ortega guy?  How does he hit?"

"Dunno. He's kind of a career borderline majors guy. Just throw the ball down the middle..."

regards,  G.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

Wasted opportunity for the Jays to gain some ground today. Red Sox were idle today. While the Yankees, Rays, and the Mariners all loss.

The one run / extra innings thing is getting pretty old....their record in these games is just abysmal....

It's like they forget everything they know, when the games are tight. Yesterday, with the Jays down by three and a man on, Vladdy swings at a 2-0 pitch....FFS! Even if you hit it to the moon, you're still down by a run.....you need another man on base....:picard:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The one run / extra innings thing is getting pretty old....their record in these games is just abysmal....

It's like they forget everything they know, when the games are tight. Yesterday, with the Jays down by three and a man on, Vladdy swings at a 2-0 pitch....FFS! Even if you hit it to the moon, you're still down by a run.....you need another man on base....:picard:

I would almost suspect that it’s a manager thing if it keeps creeping up.

2 hours ago, Bure_of_94 said:

I would almost suspect that it’s a manager thing if it keeps creeping up.

Yeah, Charlie likes to let the hitters decide what to do but in certain situations, you have to give the take sign, even a great hitter like Vladdy....

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

If I was going to build a baseball team, and I could pick either of those two guys as my first draft choice, Mantle would have been a great second choice.

regards,  G.

I wasn't born until the 80's so never had the chance to grow up watching them, heard stories but that's all, so when I saw this video I thought it was cool especially with those two names going at it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, Charlie likes to let the hitters decide what to do but in certain situations, you have to give the take sign, even a great hitter like Vladdy....

Yes I saw springer even do this a couple times when they’re down, rather than go yard, as leadoff he tries getting on base as the next 4 can hit homeruns too. 

5 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

Yes I saw springer even do this a couple times when they’re down, rather than go yard, as leadoff he tries getting on base as the next 4 can hit homeruns too. 

It's just fundamental baseball.....once upon a time the mantra when you were down by multiple runs was "take a strike"....Now it's "swing for the fences", every time.

You see the same thing on the other side of the ball as well.....how many times this season have we seen one of our relievers throw a full count breaking ball with nobody on and leading by more than a run? :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I wasn't born until the 80's so never had the chance to grow up watching them, heard stories but that's all, so when I saw this video I thought it was cool especially with those two names going at it.

I was only born yesterday, or so I've been told.....

regards,  G.

• Vintage 1

There’s something special about the Jays team. They’re starting to get on a roll and fun to watch. The starting rotation has been clutch. The return of Springer to the lineup is huge. Everyone is clicking. If they string together a few more wins, they’ll be in a WC  spot in no time.

• Hydration 3

Impressed that, after losing the first game of the series, the Jays were able to storm back and win the next 3.  If you're trying to gain ground splitting a series against Cleveland isn't good so the pressure was on after losing that first one.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 3

1 hour ago, BoKnows said:

Time to sweep the BoSox

Amen, whenever the Jays seem to be moving up, the Red Sox have been the gorilla at the top swatting them back down.  Not to put too much importance in one series, but if the Jays can win this one, it'll go a long way to making me believe they can actually do something.

• Hydration 2

I'm not good at taking screen shots and posting them on here, but when going to MLB.com and looking at the standings it's crazy to see the Jays run differential at +114 highest and best in their division yet they're in 4th, technically they should be in 1st in their division, too many blown games they should of won pitching hurt them to be in 4th.