The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

8 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Well, yeah. That's why I picked it. Everybody knows it's your fave. Word gets around.  :) 

The irony of this song (from what I recall) is that Perry wrote it about LA, prior to joining Journey. When he got offered the chance to do vocals for Journey, he did some quick re-writes, and the rest is history.

Go Sox. Go Braves.

regards,  G.

Yeah, it was originally "The sun shines on LA" rather than "the bay"....Still a great song....

As far as the game goes, it was likely over anyway, but I can't imagine my season ending on a brutal "swing" call by the 1st base ump.....just ridiculous....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, it was originally "The sun shines on LA" rather than "the bay"....Still a great song....

As far as the game goes, it was likely over anyway, but I can't imagine my season ending on a brutal "swing" call by the 1st base ump.....just ridiculous....

Yeah, I would have expected that sort of thing from Angel Hernandez (over on 3rd base) but he didn't really get too much of a chance to get things wrong... maybe he's infected the rest of that umpire crew with his insane amount of stupid.

regards,  G.

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

Well, I guess I’m cheering for the Braves, now.

Go Freddie Freeman!

Yeah, I'm more of a NL type of guy. I'm going to be conflicted should the designated hitter come in next year.

regards,  G.

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

Yeah, I would have expected that sort of thing from Angel Hernandez (over on 3rd base) but he didn't really get too much of a chance to get things wrong... maybe he's infected the rest of that umpire crew with his insane amount of stupid.

regards,  G.

One of my all time favorite baseball tweets was back when Trevor Bauer was in Cleveland and after a meltdown against the Royals, was getting the hook from manager Terry Francona...An obviously frustrated Bauer turned and threw the ball over the center field fence, prompting an angry response from Francona....

After the inevitable fallout, someone tweeted this gem about the throw: "Angel Hernandez called it a strike"....:lol:

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Oh, BTW....I too am jumping on the Braves bandwagon. As much as that stupid chant and "Tomahawk Chop" irritate me, the rest of the field irritate me even more.

Plus, there's the Freddie Freeman factor....I just wish Mike Soroka was healthy....

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Oh, BTW....I too am jumping on the Braves bandwagon. As much as that stupid chant and "Tomahawk Chop" irritate me, the rest of the field irritate me even more.

Plus, there's the Freddie Freeman factor....I just wish Mike Soroka was healthy....

I'm "Anybody but LA, anybody but Houston". which makes it the Braves and the Red Sox.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

Don't like either Houston or Boston but oddly enough I found myself hoping Houston would win (the heart doesn't lie).  I wont' say cheering for them, but there is no doubt how much I hate the Yankees and Red Sox.  Braves all the way hopefuly.

Game 3 of the WS on tonight. Series tied 1-1. Nice little first pitch honouring the late Hank Aaron. For some reason, I’m rooting for the Astros because of Dusty. I feel he’s well respected and deserves a ring. At the same time, Braves have been a huge underdog story. I guess I can cheer for either team. It’s been a terrific WS to this point

Gotta say....after watching the 88 win Atlanta Braves win the World Series with a pretty unremarkable starting rotation, it makes me lament even more the fact that the Jays didn't make the postseason.

All they needed was one more win and I can't help but relive that game where Marcus Semien threw away the final out against the Tigers.

:sadno:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/report-blue-jays-extend-qualifying-offers-to-semien-and-ray-but-not-matz/ar-AAQp5Vo?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

The Toronto Blue Jays are reportedly extending qualifying offers to Marcus Semien and Robbie Ray, an expected next step as contract negotiations between the two free agents and the team unfold, but will not be extending one to Steven Matz, according to MLB Network’s Jon Heyman.

By issuing the qualifying offers to Semien and Ray, which are worth the mean salary of MLB’s 125 highest-paid players, the Blue Jays make themselves eligible to receive draft-pick compensation if Semien or Ray choose to sign elsewhere.

Players have 10 days to accept or decline the qualifying offer, during which they are allowed to negotiate with other teams during this window. If a player accepts the qualifying offer, they are signed for the following year at the mean-salary rate. If a player rejects, they are free to explore the free-agent market. Historically, it has been uncommon for a player to accept the offer.

Coming off stellar seasons that played a pivotal part in the Blue Jays’ push for a playoff spot, putting them in position to secure significant off-season deals, both Semien and Ray will likely join the list of players who have declined.

Deciding whether or not to issue a qualifying offer to Matz, who is coming off a career-best season, was less of an obvious choice. Despite pitching over 400 innings across four seasons before joining the Blue Jays, he managed just a 2.1 WAR.

Last year, the left-hander posted a 2.8 WAR with 150.2 innings of 3.82 ERA ball, entering the free-agent market fresh off an impressive, outlier performance relative to his recent history.

Matz is coming off a one-year, $5.2 million contract. Ray joined the Blue Jays in November of 2020, agreeing to a one-year, $8 million deal. Semien signed a one-year, $18 million contract in January of 2020.

Semien went on to establish career-bests last season with 45 home runs, a single-season record for a second baseman, as well as 102 RBIs, 15 stolen bases and a .538 slugging percentage. He was named the Marvin Miller Man of the Year award winner this off-season in the 2021 Players Choice Awards.

Ray, who earned AL Oustanding Pitcher honours at the Players Choice Awards, led the American League with a 2.84 earned-run average, 32 starts, 193.1 innings, 248 strikeouts and a 1.045 WHIP — all career-bests — serving as the bedrock for the Blue Jays’ pitching staff.

• Upvote 1

Vladdy wins the  2021 AL Hank Aaron Award:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-vladimir-guerrero-jr-wins-al-hank-aaron-award/ar-AAQw4qf?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

"Toronto Blue Jays slugger Vladimir Guerrero Jr. has been named the American League Hank Aaron Award winner as the best offensive performer in the league

The announcement Tuesday comes one day after Guerrero. was named an AL MVP finalist along with teammate Marcus Semien. At 22 years old, he’s the youngest player to ever win the award.

Guerrero becomes the fourth Blue Jays player to receive the award. Carlos Delgado (2000), Jose Bautista (2010, 2011) and Josh Donaldson (2015) are the other winners.

Guerrero batted .311 with a league-tying-high 48 homers and 111 RBIs in 2021.

Philadelphia Phillies right fielder Bryce Harper was named the NL’s Hank Aaron Award recipient.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gurn said:

Wonder just how much money the owners are willing to spend?

do they even have a chance with Semien and Ray?

There was never really a chance of signing both, unless both take a lesser deal to stay.

I can see them signing one and then go the trade route to get another player. 

• Upvote 1