The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

I think both of them are gone and if I'm being honest, I'm not too bothered. Like Sean (and others) said, both are going to get paid and as much as it hurts to lose them, the Jays need to find less expensive options, so they can afford to address other needs. (like the bullpen)

The guy I really wanted back is Berrios, so I'm happy so far. I think they will have to play Biggio, Valera and Espinal and live with the drop in production without Semien. It's still a pretty potent offense.

Ray, IMO, is the bigger loss, but I'm hoping that Pearson and Stripling can contribute enough to the rotation that Shatkins can look for a less expensive, mid rotation starter. I could see Gurriel used as trade bait, even though I'd much rather move Grichuk.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

. I could see Gurriel used as trade bait, even though I'd much rather move Grichuk.

Interesting, have you proposed this before?:unsure:      :ph34r:                      :lol:                                     

47 minutes ago, gurn said:

Interesting, have you proposed this before?:unsure:      :ph34r:                      :lol:                                    

I had, shall we say, a "discussion" with another poster, who predicted certain doom had we let Grichuk go.

• Vintage 1

I feel like they will sign Ray, and let Semien go.

From the off-season press conference last month. Shatkins stated that they will like to move up into the top 10 in the league, in payroll next season.  

Berrios’ contract doesn’t kick in until 2023 and he’s slated make only 11M next year. So, there’s plenty of cap space to sign either Ray or Semien for 25m or less.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I feel like they will sign Ray, and let Semien go.

From the off-season press conference last month. Shatkins stated that they will like to move up into the top 10 in the league, in payroll next season.  

Berrios’ contract doesn’t kick in until 2023 and he’s slated make only 11M next year. So, there’s plenty of cap space to sign either Ray or Semien for 25m or less.

I got the impression from some of Rays interviews today, that he’s as good as gone. 

I hope he remains but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up in Texas or LA(heard both Dodgers and Angels are both trying to court him)

I also could see him going to Cincinnati or St Louis as they’d be like his Local teams.

2 hours ago, Bure_of_94 said:

I got the impression from some of Rays interviews today, that he’s as good as gone. 

I hope he remains but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up in Texas or LA(heard both Dodgers and Angels are both trying to court him)

I also could see him going to Cincinnati or St Louis as they’d be like his Local teams.

1000000% NOT going to Cinci. They're sellers trying to lower their payroll and not buyers trying to add it. Castellanos is gone, and they're trying to get rid of Gray, Castillo and Votto.....which might be a guy the Jays would be interested in, as he's a home town boy and he's a left handed bat they need. Rotating him and Teoscar at DH and spelling Vladdy at 1B could work IMO. If they lose Ray, then getting Castillo and Votto in a trade would definitely lessen the blow. 

As expected Ray and Semien turn down their qualifying offers:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-robbie-ray-marcus-semien-reject-qualifying-offers/ar-AAQPbxA?ocid=msedgntp

Toronto Blue Jays left-hander Robbie Ray and second baseman Marcus Semien have rejected qualifying offers, the team announced Wednesday.

By rejecting the offers, both players become free agents.

The decisions do not come as a surprise after both players delivered career seasons in 2021.

By making qualifying offers, the Blue Jays ensured they will receive compensation if either player signs elsewhere.

Ray was up for the Cy Young Award on Wednesday night after leading the American League in ERA, starts, innings, WHIP and strikeouts.

Semien is one of three finalists for the AL MVP Award on Thursday. He hit 45 home runs — a record for a second baseman — and had 102 RBIs.

Semien also was a Gold Glove winner.

Meanwhile, first baseman Brandon Belt accepted an $18.4 million qualifying offer from the San Francisco Giants on Wednesday rather than pursue bidders as a free agent.

Belt was the only one to accept among the 14 free agents who received the offers from their former clubs on Nov. 7.

Players who turned down offers included first baseman Freddie Freeman (Atlanta), shortstop Carlos Correa and right-hander Justin Verlander (Houston), right-hander Raisel Iglesias (Los Angeles Angels), outfielder Nick Castellanos (Cincinnati), shortstop Trevor Story (Colorado), shortstop Corey Seager and infielder/outfielder Chris Taylor (Los Angeles Dodgers) and outfielder Michael Conforto (New York Mets).

Two of the players who received offers have finalized contracts with new teams. Left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez left Boston for a $77 million, five-year contract with Detroit, and right-hander Noah Syndergaard left the Mets for a $21 million, one-year contract with the Angels.

That report is a bit out dated as

Verlander signed a one year deal and Ray Did win the Cy Young.

Edit- new story says Virlander might sign with Jays, so I don't know why a site said Verlander signed yesterday with some team.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-reportedly-emerge-as-one-of-the-favourites-to-land-justin-verlander/ar-AAQP5Kp?ocid=msedgntp

"The Toronto Blue Jays might be adding one of this generation’s best pitching talents.

According reports, Justin Verlander is not only garnering interest from the Blue Jays, but he's seriously considering signing with Toronto. 

“Justin Verlander ...from what I heard yesterday, has a preference for a team that trains in the state of Florida,” MLB Network’s Ken Rosenthal said. “We’ve heard the Yankees are in, the Blue Jays are certainly in, I believe the Red Sox might be in. ...My understanding is that those are the three main teams.”

Toronto is certainly in a dangerous position competing with the likes of Boston and New York as a destination for one of the top free agents, but considering that they are a team on their way up, it might be an attractive enough destination for the likes of Verlander and his 2017 World Series ring.

Verlander missed all of last season due to Tommy John surgery, so it does put a damper on his potential to contribute in a rotation. But with a 2.56 ERA, 0.849 WHIP, and 14.4 wins above replacement in 443 innings pitched, according to Baseball Reference, since 2018, he’s still a very desirable talent.

The Blue Jays have already spent big this off-season, keeping mid-season trade acquisition José Berríos with a seven-year, $131-million contract extension announced on Tuesday.

With this potential new-look rotation and their current rising stars, Toronto hopes to contend in 2022 after missing the AL Wild Card Game by just one single win last season.

Edited by gurn

55 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Can't believe Rafael Dolis isn't on that list....:unsure:

He alternates between good and awful, every other year.

https://www.mlb.com/player/rafael-dolis-503569

era

2011 CHC NL 0 0    0.00                       1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1.1 0 0 0 0 20 0 1 0 1 .000 0.75 2.00
2012 CHC NL 2   6.39 34 0 0 0 3 4 6 38.0 40 29 27 5 654 3 23 1 24 .278 1.66 1.24
2013 CHC NL 0   0.00 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 5.0 3 2 0 0 75 0 2 0 0 .158 1.00 0.78
2020 TOR AL 2   1.50 24 0 0 0 7 5 6 24.0 16 9 4 1 414 1 14 0 31 .193 1.25 1.24
2021 TOR AL 2   5.63 39 0 0 0 3 3 4 32.0 29 21 20 2 605 3 27 2 39 .232 1.75 1.15

We need possibly a replacement for Semien and a starter replacement for Ray (I get the feeling that he’s gone). 

we also need a reliable arm in the bullpen. 

Other than that the young Jays will be good, if healthy and a full season of Berrios, we should be a playoff team. 

Biggio and Springer being injured for a long time I feel was the difference between us making it and not last season. Even Jansen being down hurt us, he’s a good pitch caller and I feel that him working with Berrios for a full season is going to be great to watch.