The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

does baseball have an upper level management racism problem?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/nightengale-s-notebook-brian-flores-lawsuit-holds-a-mirror-up-to-mlb-s-disgraceful-hiring-practices/ar-AATwOb2?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

PHOENIX — While Brian Flores explosive and courageous class-action lawsuit against the NFL this past week drew everyone’s attention, his powerful claims could easily be shifted to another major sport, too.

Yes, deplorable hiring practices are just as bad in Major League Baseball.

Blatant racism and discrimination in hiring practices? Check.

Scarcity of Black coaches? Check

Scarcity of Black GMs? Check.

Scarcity of Black vice presidents and presidents? Check.

Flawed and ineffective rule that produces nothing more than sham interviews? Check.

"The things very clear in baseball is that nothing is being done to change the process," former GM Dave Stewart told USA TODAY Sports. "I think baseball is getting worse. The baseball practices are much worse."

There have been 17 managerial openings in the past two off-seasons since Major League Baseball publicly vowed change in the wake of the George Floyd murder.

None of the jobs were filled by a Black candidate.

There have been 15 general manager and head of baseball operation openings since MLB’s GMs stood in front of the cameras holding "Black Lives Matter" signs on draft day in 2020.

None have been filled by a Black executive.

There are only two Black managers in Major League Baseball: Dusty Baker of the Houston Astros and Dave Roberts of the Los Angeles Dodgers. No other Black manager has been hired since Lloyd McClendon in 2013.

There is only one African-American in charge of baseball operations: Ken Williams of the Chicago White Sox. No other Black executive has been hired as a GM or head of baseball operations since Stewart in 2014, and only three others since Williams’ promotion in 2000.

No wonder baseball’s Black community can totally relate to Flores’ lawsuit.

Several Black executives privately shared their own stories with USA TODAY Sports this week, relaying the times they interviewed for jobs knowing they were being used only to satisfy the rule that requires teams to interview minorities in key front office and managerial positions.

"The NFL remains rife with racism, particularly when it comes to the hiring and retention of Black Head Coaches, Coordinators and General Managers," Flores said in his suit. "Over the years, the NFL and it’s 32-member organizations have been given every chance to do the right thing. Rules have been implemented, promises made – but nothing has changed. In fact, the racial discrimination has only made worse by the NFL’s disingenuous commitment to social equity."

Might as well be talking about Major League Baseball.

"The sport is not moving forward," Stewart says. "We had the George Floyd murder two years ago, and when all of that was happening, MLB was standing front and center, talking about all the changes they would make. They had of the GMs holding up signs, talking about change. Nothing at all changed.

"I said it then, and will say it now, change is only on the minds of the decision makers at the moment. Something major has to happen, and it’s usually something tragic that has to happen to make change necessary. If you don’t seize it at the moment, within 6 months or a year it’s back to doing business like they’ve always done it."

Stewart, the four-time 20-game winner, is hoping to make a difference. He’s taking a more active role with the Nashville Stars, the expansion team hopeful that envisions having a primarily Black or minority ownership group. The club, named after the former Negro League franchise, has Negro Leagues Baseball Museum president Bob Kendrick among other dignitaries as part of its group.

The Stars are hoping that baseball announces that it will expand within the next five years and commissioner Rob Manfred has publicly said he wants baseball to expand to 32 teams.

"That’s the only way change is going to happen," Stewart says, "especially if you’re primarily a Black ownership group. It opens the door to really having good practices across the board. Having good people on the advisory board calls for diversity and the leadership will have diverse practices.

"We have Magic Johnson, Derek Jeter and LeBron James as small percentage owners of their teams, but the real advancement will be when there’s at least 51% black ownership.

"Hopefully, baseball understands that it’s time for Black ownership in the sport. We’re ready."

So the lockout is stalling everything, but it doesn't stop discussion on potential additions / upgrades to the jays' roster.

I'm on record as a supporter of somehow prying Jose Ramirez away from Cleveland. He ticks all the boxes: Excellent defender at 3rd base, Switch hitter, which gives the team a much needed left handed bat and hits for power and average. He can also steal a base when needed.

That being said, one idea that I've heard batted around is intriguing as well. The Phillies need help in the outfield, so what about a Grichuk for Didi Gregorious swap? Didi makes 4 million more than RG, but only has 1 year left on his contract to Grichuk's 2.

If Gregorious is willing to play at 3rd, the Jays can give Jordan Groshans a chance to show what he can do at AAA, with an eye towards maybe bringing him up the year after next. If he isn't ready, they can look at another option in the offseason.

Didi's numbers from last year don't jump off the page at you, but he's a veteran left handed bat with some power and you have to think he'd have a lot more lineup protection in Toronto than he had in Philly.

Something to think about.....

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

So the lockout is stalling everything, but it doesn't stop discussion on potential additions / upgrades to the jays' roster.

I'm on record as a supporter of somehow prying Jose Ramirez away from Cleveland. He ticks all the boxes: Excellent defender at 3rd base, Switch hitter, which gives the team a much needed left handed bat and hits for power and average. He can also steal a base when needed.

That being said, one idea that I've heard batted around is intriguing as well. The Phillies need help in the outfield, so what about a Grichuk for Didi Gregorious swap? Didi makes 4 million more than RG, but only has 1 year left on his contract to Grichuk's 2.

If Gregorious is willing to play at 3rd, the Jays can give Jordan Groshans a chance to show what he can do at AAA, with an eye towards maybe bringing him up the year after next. If he isn't ready, they can look at another option in the offseason.

Didi's numbers from last year don't jump off the page at you, but he's a veteran left handed bat with some power and you have to think he'd have a lot more lineup protection in Toronto than he had in Philly.

Something to think about.....

I don’t think they need a premier bat to fill that spot anyway. A good fielder who can slash something like .260-270/.330ish/>.400 while popping a few HR’s and maybe 60+ RBI’s would be sufficient, wouldn’t it? That, along with hopefully getting a relatively full season of a relatively healthy George Springer, would do the job I would think. 

I’m spitballing here so my numbers could be way off and I could be out to lunch. Wouldn’t be the first time. 

34 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I don’t think they need a premier bat to fill that spot anyway. A good fielder who can slash something like .260-270/.330ish/>.400 while popping a few HR’s and maybe 60+ RBI’s would be sufficient, wouldn’t it? That, along with hopefully getting a relatively full season of a relatively healthy George Springer, would do the job I would think. 

I’m spitballing here so my numbers could be way off and I could be out to lunch. Wouldn’t be the first time. 

It's hard to say.

I still think they'll score a lot of runs, but I really think they need a left handed power bat. Right now, the starting infield includes both Biggio and Espinal and is probably the youngest starting infield in baseball. I think they need someone with a bit more experience.

They have more outfielders than they need and paying Grich 10 million per to be the 4th outfielder is money poorly spent, IMHO, even if he puts up pretty good numbers.

From what I see, they need more L/R balance and they need a reliable infielder. Like Ricky says, "You might as well get two birds stoned at once"....

Edited by RUPERTKBD

From MLB Insider Jeff Passan:

While exact plans are not finalized, MLB and the MLB Players Association intend to hold multiple bargaining sessions — perhaps every day — as early as Monday, sources told ESPN. Multiple owners and players expect to fly in for sessions leading up to MLB’s stated Feb. 28 deadline.

Edited by Mj2345
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

I’m starting to think the only baseball I’ll see anytime soon on my tv is MLB The Show video game..

Multi millionaires arguing with multi billionaires about money; while stadium, and team office staff, get ready for lay off notices.   :(

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1