The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

2 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Going to the Vancouver Canadians game today. Who should I pay attention to?

Can't say I know the farm system too well but LHP Ricky Tiedemann looks intriguing-, 4-1 record with a 1.41 ERA and 68 SO in 44.2 IP from a 6'4 nineteen year old in High A. Third rounder from last year.

Leo Jimenez is on the 40-man roster while in High A. I'd be curious to see what he looks like. 

6 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Going to the Vancouver Canadians game today. Who should I pay attention to?

Not who, but what; keep your eye on the ball.

It is unlikely a player will leave the field and hit you.

Team page

https://www.milb.com/vancouver/

Heard Dan Shulman and Tabby talking about a couple of pitchers, doing well for the Canadians.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone think there’s some tension between Bo and Vladdy, going back to last season? Some people think they’re not as close as they were, from their first year in the bigs.

Today we saw a bit of that on the field, when there was a pop-up between 1st and 2nd. Bo was playing the shift and was on the right side of the 2nd base bag. There was a pop-up between 1st and 2nd, and Vladdy was the closest to the pop-up. Bo called for the ball, which ideally he has the rights to make the play, but Vladdy ended up catching the ball. There was visible frustration from Bo, and he turned his back on Vladdy when he was trying to explain he was the closest.

After the end of the inning, you saw Bo tried to iron things out and explain to Vladdy that he has the rights to catch the ball, if he calls it, but Vladdy didn’t seem to interested and just brushed him off. 

There’s a feeling that Vladdy thinks Bo is too serious and he should just let loose like the rest of the guys. You can see, whenever someone has a homerun. Vladdy has a special handshake with everyone on the team, except for Bo. Where he just hugs him. You rarely see the two on the bench anymore beside each other. Bo is always on one side of the bench, while Vladdy is always at the other side of the bench. 

• Upvote 1

^ Hope they can figure it out, I'd miss Bo if they have to move him to a more 'serious team'.

also, why does Bo react so poorly to other peoples errors, yet has not noticed other folks accepting his mistakes?

Hey Bo, if it was easy, everyone would be playing pro ball.

If you won't wear the team approved uniform, should you be allowed to play that day?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/celebrity/rays-kevin-cash-doesn-t-expect-disagreement-over-pride-night-uniforms-to-divide-team/ar-AAY7tZv?bk=1&ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=4135e828dc69445c91392863b1110a82

The Rays hosted their annual Pride Night on Saturday to support the LGBTQ+ community. In this year's edition, the team's uniforms contained special rainbow-colored logos

Not all members of the team were willing to wear those logos, though. Pitchers Jason Adam, Jalen Beeks, Brooks Raley, Jeffrey Springs and Ryan Thompson were among those who objected

Adam, the group's unofficial spokesperson, said the refusal was a matter of religious belief. He said that he felt wearing the logo served as encouragement of the "behavior" of those in the LGBTQ+ community.

Rays manager Kevin Cash made a point Sunday to express hope that there would be no rifts between the players who didn't want to wear the colors and the players who did choose to wear them.

"I think what it has created is . . . a lot of conversation and valuing the different perspectives inside the clubhouse but really appreciating the community that we're trying to support here," Cash said.

Cash said that there were discussions among the players for weeks leading up to Pride Night.

"Impressed that our players have had those conversions and we want to support our players that choose to wear or choose not to wear to the best of our capabilities," he said, per The Associated Press.

Why did some players not want to wear the logo?

"A lot of it comes down to faith, to like a faith-based decision," Adam said, according to the Tampa Bay Times' Marc Topkin. "So it's a hard decision. Because ultimately we all said what we want is them to know that all are welcome and loved here."

"But when we put (the rainbow colors) on our bodies," he added, "I think a lot of guys decided that it’s just a lifestyle that maybe — not that they look down on anybody or think differently — it’s just that maybe we don't want to encourage it if we believe in Jesus, who's encouraged us to live a lifestyle that would abstain from that behavior, just like (Jesus) encourages me as a heterosexual male to abstain from sex outside of the confines of marriage. It’s no different."

"It's not judgmental. It’s not looking down. It’s just what we believe the lifestyle he’s encouraged us to live, for our good, not to withhold. But again, we love these men and women, we care about them, and we want them to feel safe and welcome here."

Who spoke out in support of the rainbow logos? 

Outfielder Kevin Kiermaier, who wore the colors, said his parents taught him the value of inclusivity.

"My parents taught me to love everyone as they are, go live your life, whatever your preferences are, go be you," he said. "I can't speak for everyone who’s in here, obviously, but this is a family-friendly environment here at a big-league ballfield. . . . We just want everyone to feel welcomed and included and cheer us on. No matter what your views on anything are.”

Notable Rays Pride Nights

In 2016, the Rays held an emotional Pride Night ceremony just days after the Pulse Nightclub shooting in Orlando. In 2019, the organization invited Jane Castor, Tampa's first openly gay mayor, to throw out the first pitch on Pride Night.

"Our Pride Nights continue to grow both in terms of visibility and participation,” Rays president Matt Silverman said , per the Tampa Bay Times. “By doing this, we extend an invitation not just for this game but for all of our games that the LGBTQ+ community is invited, welcomed and celebrated."

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gurn said:

If you won't wear the team approved uniform, should you be allowed to play that day?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/celebrity/rays-kevin-cash-doesn-t-expect-disagreement-over-pride-night-uniforms-to-divide-team/ar-AAY7tZv?bk=1&ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=4135e828dc69445c91392863b1110a82

The Rays hosted their annual Pride Night on Saturday to support the LGBTQ+ community. In this year's edition, the team's uniforms contained special rainbow-colored logos

Not all members of the team were willing to wear those logos, though. Pitchers Jason Adam, Jalen Beeks, Brooks Raley, Jeffrey Springs and Ryan Thompson were among those who objected

Adam, the group's unofficial spokesperson, said the refusal was a matter of religious belief. He said that he felt wearing the logo served as encouragement of the "behavior" of those in the LGBTQ+ community.

Rays manager Kevin Cash made a point Sunday to express hope that there would be no rifts between the players who didn't want to wear the colors and the players who did choose to wear them.

"I think what it has created is . . . a lot of conversation and valuing the different perspectives inside the clubhouse but really appreciating the community that we're trying to support here," Cash said.

Cash said that there were discussions among the players for weeks leading up to Pride Night.

"Impressed that our players have had those conversions and we want to support our players that choose to wear or choose not to wear to the best of our capabilities," he said, per The Associated Press.

Why did some players not want to wear the logo?

"A lot of it comes down to faith, to like a faith-based decision," Adam said, according to the Tampa Bay Times' Marc Topkin. "So it's a hard decision. Because ultimately we all said what we want is them to know that all are welcome and loved here."

"But when we put (the rainbow colors) on our bodies," he added, "I think a lot of guys decided that it’s just a lifestyle that maybe — not that they look down on anybody or think differently — it’s just that maybe we don't want to encourage it if we believe in Jesus, who's encouraged us to live a lifestyle that would abstain from that behavior, just like (Jesus) encourages me as a heterosexual male to abstain from sex outside of the confines of marriage. It’s no different."

"It's not judgmental. It’s not looking down. It’s just what we believe the lifestyle he’s encouraged us to live, for our good, not to withhold. But again, we love these men and women, we care about them, and we want them to feel safe and welcome here."

Who spoke out in support of the rainbow logos? 

Outfielder Kevin Kiermaier, who wore the colors, said his parents taught him the value of inclusivity.

"My parents taught me to love everyone as they are, go live your life, whatever your preferences are, go be you," he said. "I can't speak for everyone who’s in here, obviously, but this is a family-friendly environment here at a big-league ballfield. . . . We just want everyone to feel welcomed and included and cheer us on. No matter what your views on anything are.”

Notable Rays Pride Nights

In 2016, the Rays held an emotional Pride Night ceremony just days after the Pulse Nightclub shooting in Orlando. In 2019, the organization invited Jane Castor, Tampa's first openly gay mayor, to throw out the first pitch on Pride Night.

"Our Pride Nights continue to grow both in terms of visibility and participation,” Rays president Matt Silverman said , per the Tampa Bay Times. “By doing this, we extend an invitation not just for this game but for all of our games that the LGBTQ+ community is invited, welcomed and celebrated."

Pretty sickening, especially considering the likelihood of at least one of their teammates being gay.  I'd give them an unpaid vacation if I was the GM.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, gurn said:

makes me sick that people use religion to mask their hate. Jesus never said a single word about this ( @erkayloomeh can back me up on this). 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

makes me sick that people use religion to mask their hate. Jesus never said a single word about this ( @erkayloomeh can back me up on this). 

I'm not sure I'm understanding what's being said here?.   Is this certain christian players not willing to wear colors on there uniforms that make statements in support of homosexuality. ? 

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

I'm not sure I'm understanding what's being said here?.   Is this certain christian players not willing to wear colors on there uniforms that make statements in support of homosexuality. ? 

it is, with the statement that is something Jesus wants. 

Jansen out with broken finger, Collins called up:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-lose-jansen-to-finger-injury-but-moreno-s-debut-still-on-hold/ar-AAYbWMS?bk=1&ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=d642ea54112c4a5e831f2876c8388e41

The Toronto Blue Jays have been one of the hottest teams in baseball in recent weeks, winning 10 of their past 12 games

A major reason for that success has been the production behind the plate, with catchers Alejandro Kirk and Danny Jansen both doing a lot of damage with the bat. One half of that tandem will be out of commission for the foreseeable future, with Jansen landing on the injured list Tuesday with a fractured finger after getting hit by a pitch during Monday's game against the Kansas City Royals.

It's the second injury of the season for Jansen, who was sidelined for over a month with an oblique injury he suffered on April 10. When he has been healthy he's shown signs of a breakout campaign, albeit in a very small sample. He owns a .915 OPS with seven home runs in just 19 games in 2022.

The Blue Jays are optimistic Jansen's absence won't be a long one, with general manager Ross Atkins describing the fracture as a "stable break," per MLB.com's Keegan Matheson.

With Jansen on the shelf, Kirk will handle the majority of reps behind the plate after seeing an uptick in usage as the club's designated hitter. Kirk is building a strong case to play in the All-Star Game, slashing .306/.389/.465 for an .854 OPS with five home runs.

Catcher Zack Collins has been promoted from triple-A to take Jansen's spot on the active roster, though he's not the player many Blue Jays fans were hoping to see.

Gabriel Moreno, Toronto's top prospect, has been playing very well in triple-A with a .323 batting average in 35 games this year. The Blue Jays aren't quite ready to give Moreno a shot in the majors, though that opportunity can't be far off if the young backstop continues swinging the bat the way he is right now.