The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/reports-blue-jays-calling-up-top-prospect-gabriel-moreno/ar-AAYfcSB?bk=1&ocid=msedgntp&cvid=cca190064f2444dba62253bffc9bcc9e

It's finally Gabriel Moreno time in Toronto

The Blue Jays are calling up their top prospect and will activate him during this weekend's series against the Detroit Tigers, according to multiple reports.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/reports-blue-jays-calling-up-top-prospect-gabriel-moreno/ar-AAYfcSB?bk=1&ocid=msedgntp&cvid=cca190064f2444dba62253bffc9bcc9e

It's finally Gabriel Moreno time in Toronto

The Blue Jays are calling up their top prospect and will activate him during this weekend's series against the Detroit Tigers, according to multiple reports.

I thought this was a strange decision, but then I remembered something about Jansen being out because of that pitch that hit him in the hand?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-pitcher-kikuchi-feels-he-let-his-teammates-down-with-awful-game/ar-AAYf9jS?ocid=uxbndlbing

Yusei Kikuchi has already experienced some highs and lows in his first season with the Toronto Blue Jays. Wednesday's performance against the Kansas City Royals certainly fell in the latter category.

The hard-throwing starting pitcher failed to make it out of the first inning, allowing three runs on two hits while walking four batters. His abysmal outing forced the Toronto bullpen to cover the rest of the game en route to an 8-4 loss.

After the game, Kikuchi shared his disappointment that he couldn't do more to help his teammates.

“I think, as a starting pitcher, it's our job to be able to make our adjustments,” Kikuchi told reporters through an interpreter. “In the first inning, obviously, I threw a lot of balls, wasn't in the zone that often. But typically I'm able to bounce back and make my adjustments in the game and keep our team in the ball game. But today, unfortunately, I wasn't able to do that.

"I feel really bad that I let my teammates down today.”

Blue Jays manager Charlie Montoyo was blunt with his assessment of Kikuchi's showing, which was a far cry from Montoyo's usual positivity.

“He was just not good today. That's all I can say," Montoyo said.

Kikuchi signed a three-year, $36-million deal with the Blue Jays in the offseason. Toronto knew it was rolling the dice with the move, and the 30-year-old has come as advertised thus far.

Through 11 starts, the native of Japan holds a 4.44 ERA with strong strikeout numbers but a high walk rate. He has failed to complete five innings in six of those appearances.

On the flip side, he has surrendered two runs or fewer in each of the five outings where he's managed to get through five frames. All told, the Blue Jays are 3-8 in games he starts.

Toronto's coaching staff is surely heading back to the lab to try to figure out how to help the 2021 All-Star find some consistency. With Hyun Jin Ryu on the injured list, the Blue Jays need some stability from Kikuchi to avoid overworking their relief corps.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I thought this was a strange decision, but then I remembered something about Jansen being out because of that pitch that hit him in the hand?

Broken finger- but what is described as a 'stable' break, so a minimum recovery time.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Broken finger- but what is described as a 'stable' break, so a minimum recovery time.

Thanks G....I was in Vancity this weekend for my daughter's grad and she doesn't have cable, so I was out of the baseball loop.....

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

Cardinals and Rays 1 hour 54 minutes shortest 9 inning game since Blue Jays White Sox July 6 2015

If all baseball games could finish within two hours I think I'd be more interested in watching baseball.

I must have read about this in the past, but had somehow forgotten.....apparently, Angel Hernandez sued MLB for "Racial Discrimination", because he hadn't received a World Series assignment in over 15 years and had been passed over for Crew Chief.....He lost that case, but he thinks the courts got the original decision wrong. (and if anyone has experience with getting calls wrong, it's Angel Hernandez)

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/baseball/ángel-hernández-asks-appeals-court-to-reinstate-suit-vs-mlb/ar-AAYho8r?li=AAggNb9

NEW YORK (AP) — Lawyers for Ángel Hernández claim Major League Baseball manipulated the umpire’s evaluations, renewing the allegation in an attempt to reinstate the racial discrimination lawsuit he lost last year.

Hernandez’s lawyers made the claim in a filing Tuesday to the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, trying to overturn the summary judgment U.S. District Judge J. Paul Oetken granted to MLB in March 2021.

The Cuba-born Hernández was hired as a big league umpire in 1993. He sued in 2017, alleging he was discriminated against because he had not been assigned to the World Series since 2005 and had been passed over for crew chief.

Hernández served as an interim crew chief from 2011-16, at the start of the pandemic-delayed 2020 season and for part of the 2021 season but has not been made a permanent crew chief.

Citing the 2011-16 seasons, Hernández's attorneys said in the brief to the appellate court that “MLB manipulated Mr. Hernandez’s year-end evaluations in order to make his job performance appear worse than it actually was. Mr. Hernández’s year-end evaluations for the 2011-2016 seasons do not even come close to accurately summarizing Mr. Hernández’s actual performance in those seasons."

In an August 2020 brief responding to a similar allegation, MLB called the claim “devoid of merit."

I dunno Angel, maybe this has less to do with "discrimination" and more to do with the fact that you're widely acknowledged as the worst umpire in MLB....:rolleyes:

• Vintage 1

Anyone else see that Tony Larussa walked Trea Turner on a 1-2 count last night? Up comes Max Muncie, who promptly goes yard for a three run dinger....

After the game, TL is (quite rightly) asked about the decision and gets all offended and snarky with the reporter.....:rolleyes:

If said it before: This guy is a dinosaur and the game has long since passed him by.

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Anyone else see that Tony Larussa walked Trea Turner on a 1-2 count last night? Up comes Max Muncie, who promptly goes yard for a three run dinger....

After the game, TL is (quite rightly) asked about the decision and gets all offended and snarky with the reporter.....:rolleyes:

If said it before: This guy is a dinosaur and the game has long since passed him by.

Maybe he'd already had a few to get ready for his drive home.

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

On 6/6/2022 at 6:59 PM, JM_ said:

it is, with the statement that is something Jesus wants. 

Not sure if that's hate speech. Saying someone should abstain from something he may or may not hate them. 

If we're followers of Christ we attempt to be like him .

If you read John 8  1-11  in the case where the pharisees brought the adultress woman to Jesus he stood between her and death.  If not for christ the religious people would have stoned her.  After the cowards walked away he said "where are your accusers? Who condemns you? 

She said no one my lord.

He responded nor do I condemn you, go and sin no more. 

He defended her, told her she wasn't condemned,  but acknowledged that her adultery was wrong.

I had a Christian (or so called) tell me all homosexuals should be taken out and shot. 

And so here I am talking with you....someone who will defend the treatment of them. 

And I commend you for that. 

You seem like a caring individual. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Not sure if that's hate speech. Saying someone should abstain from something he may or may not hate them. 

If we're followers of Christ we attempt to be like him .

If you read John 8  1-11  in the case where the pharisees brought the adultress woman to Jesus he stood between her and death.  If not for christ the religious people would have stoned her.  After the cowards walked away he said "where are your accusers? Who condemns you? 

She said no one my lord.

He responded nor do I condemn you, go and sin no more. 

He defended her, told her she wasn't condemned,  but acknowledged that her adultery was wrong.

I had a Christian (or so called) tell me all homosexuals should be taken out and shot. 

And so here I am talking with you....someone who will defend the treatment of them. 

And I commend you for that. 

You seem like a caring individual. 

My issue with the decision to not wear the team uniform for that day is, those players are telling LGBTQ+ folks that they don't have a right to exist. Those folks don't need the players approval to live their lives, but we do need more tolerance in our society. As someone who grew up in a very religious family (it didn't stick with me but I get it) seeing the players try to use Jesus as an excuse is absolutely not what the new testament information about Jesus supports. So thats my 2 cents on it. I think they are using a misrepresented view of the Bible to justify their own biases. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, JM_ said:

My issue with the decision to not wear the team uniform for that day is, those players are telling LGBTQ+ folks that they don't have a right to exist. Those folks don't need the players approval to live their lives, but we do need more tolerance in our society. As someone who grew up in a very religious family (it didn't stick with me but I get it) seeing the players try to use Jesus as an excuse is absolutely not what the new testament information about Jesus supports. So thats my 2 cents on it. I think they are using a misrepresented view of the Bible to justify their own biases. 

Regardless of their personal views, putting their own bigotry ahead of the team is a huge problem that should have been handled by veteran leaders.  It's called a uniform for a reason.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Regardless of their personal views, putting their own bigotry ahead of the team is a huge problem that should have been handled by veteran leaders.  It's called a uniform for a reason.

yep. Its ironic that the players didn't demonstrate the tolerance that the team did of their views. 

Anyway enough derailment of this thread. Go Jays. 

39 minutes ago, Pears said:

I’m gonna be honest until we show we can take care of the teams at the bottom of the league with ease we can’t be considered among the league best and that’s a management thing. 

They won 10-1 yesterday, and won 8-0 and 7-0 against the Royals earlier this week. They also compiled a +183 run differential last year mostly by beating up bad teams.

This is baseball, they aren't going to win every game against every team worse than them. The Jays only lost series this year to teams above .500. There are several areas where this team needs to improve to contend with the league's best teams (bullpen, plate discipline etc.), we shouldn't be viewing their flaws in the lens of 'can they beat up a bunch of bad teams'?

One more to add - the Jays are 18-5 against teams at or below .500 this year, a better win percentage than the Yankees (27-9).

Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

They won 10-1 yesterday, and won 8-0 and 7-0 against the Royals earlier this week. They also compiled a +183 run differential last year mostly by beating up bad teams.

This is baseball, they aren't going to win every game against every team worse than them. The Jays only lost series this year to teams above .500. There are several areas where this team needs to improve to contend with the league's best teams (bullpen, plate discipline etc.), we shouldn't be viewing their flaws in the lens of 'can they beat up a bunch of bad teams'?

Maybe I have unrealistic expectations but with how good our offense is supposed to be we shouldn’t have any problems with these teams.