The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

Maybe I have unrealistic expectations but with how good our offense is supposed to be we shouldn’t have any problems with these teams. 

They've scored at least 4 runs in 14 of their last 15 games before today. Every team has a bad day at the plate. Their only loss this week was because of bad pitching.

Again, this team isn't perfect but a Saturday afternoon game against Detroit isn't something that's gonna raise my level of concern.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

They've scored at least 4 runs in 14 of their last 15 games before today. Every team has a bad day at the plate. Their only loss this week was because of bad pitching.

Again, this team isn't perfect but a Saturday afternoon game against Detroit isn't something that's gonna raise my level of concern.

It isn’t just this year though. This is going back to last year where failing to beat bad teams like the Nationals cost us a playoff spot. 

28 minutes ago, Pears said:

It isn’t just this year though. This is going back to last year where failing to beat bad teams like the Nationals cost us a playoff spot. 

I don't necessarily disagree there, I just don't find it useful to talk about framing the team's flaws in this context because what's the answer? Play better? Acquire better players? These are things they should be trying to do no matter who they play.

Kikuchi can't command his pitches, Berrios has been hanging fastballs over the plate until lately, hitters aren't chasing Gausman's splitter like they were before, Richards has been bad, Merryweather gets hit super hard because his fastball has no movement, same with Romano. Guerrero can't seem to get his launch angle up. They've been chasing bad pitches for most of the year until the last two weeks. These are problems, not losing a random game to the Tigers. Losing a random game to the Tigers is the outcome of the problem, not the problem itself.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm ripping you apart or anything, I just would prefer to discuss things that are deeper than 'they lost a few games to bad teams'. That being said, it's certainly something I'd rather they not get into the habit of doing too often.

Edited by Brad Marchand

46 minutes ago, Pears said:

Maybe I have unrealistic expectations but with how good our offense is supposed to be we shouldn’t have any problems with these teams. 

Over 162 games even a historically good team will lose dozens of times. It’s just an unfortunate truth. Some days you actually outplay them but despite all the solid contact you hit everything right at the defence. Some days it’s a bad bounce or two, some days you run into a pitcher having an unusually good day. Even a bad team is full of major league ball players who are capable of beating anybody on a given day, it just happens for them less often. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Over 162 games even a historically good team will lose dozens of times. It’s just an unfortunate truth. Some days you actually outplay them but despite all the solid contact you hit everything right at the defence. Some days it’s a bad bounce or two, some days you run into a pitcher having an unusually good day. Even a bad team is full of major league ball players who are capable of beating anybody on a given day, it just happens for them less often. 

Yeah, just frustrating I guess. 

• Cheers 1

I wonder if Montoya had any thought about leaving Kirk in the game yesterday, then moving Moreno to 2B (was originally an infielder), and Biggio to CF.  Just to keep Kirk’s bat in the lineup. I mean, it sure would have been worth a try than leaving Zimmer in the game, who is an automatic out.

22 hours ago, Pears said:

**I would like to retract my statement from yesterday

Goes to show you how few games the Jays have played against sub 500 teams :blink:.  Nearly half the number as the Astros

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Goes to show you how few games the Jays have played against sub 500 teams :blink:.  Nearly half the number as the Astros

Yep. I keep saying we’ll make up the 8 or so games that we’re behind the Yankees once we’ve played the amount of games against sub .500 teams that they have.