The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

I hope they don't rush him. I also hope they put him at the bottom of the order and don't try to stick him in the leadoff position.

He was awful in the leadoff spot (albeit in only like 91 plate appearances). He hit for an average of .193, with an OBP of .264 and an OPS of .577 while leading off.

Hopefully Travis doesn't try to do too much today, it would be a right shame if he re-injured himself as a result of not getting enough minor league at bats before coming into the Majors. It would be nice to see him back full time though.

I liked what Gregg Zaun had to say about Barney, but was he saying it just to defend the professional and to play Devil's Advocate? Or becuase he may genuinely think Travis is being rushed back as a result of poor offense of late.

The Jay's medical/managerial staff would know the risk of rushing Travis into the lineup given his history. They must be confident that he's ready. 

I agree with Peck. I'd start him on the bench today and maybe bring him in for a pinch hit and let him play a couple of late innings at second.

If all goes well, give him the start against CC tomorrow, where he has the advantage of hitting against a lefty...

Martin definitely impressing on the defensive end today. Great positioning on an errant throw by Travis and then a great block on a ball in the dirt by Floyd. Unfortunatley his approach at the plate in the 9th was especially poor. Down on three straight pitches, chased up high on the second pitch and tried to hit the ball into the next time zone on the first and third.

Happ with another gem. Only four SPs have a lower ERA than him over the last year.

Edited by Down by the River

3 minutes ago, the last outlaw said:

Who is ace of the staff?

Stroman, Estrada or Happ?

For awhile when Happ was 5-0 thought he might be in Cy Young conversation.

Stroman is the guy you build around, but for my $, Happ has pitched the best; he had one disastrous outing and that's it. Estrada just goes about his business more quietly. 

I saw some pretty interesting gamesmanship between Osuna and Martin in the 9th.

With A-Rod at bat and a 1-2 count, Martin called for the slider, only to have Osuna shake him off. Martin calls the same pitch and Osuna nods and throws the slider.

What they were doing there is trying to get A-Rod off the breaking ball. A 1-2 count is when a pitcher will usually "bury" a breaking ball, or throw a change-up. Martin and Osuna know this and they know that A-Rod knows it as well. When Osuna shakes Martin off, they want A-Rod to think that he wants to go back to the fast ball.

It might have worked, except Osuna bounced it well in front of the plate.

Pretty interesting though and one of the things that I love about the game.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Really like Devon Travis in the lineup!

I do too..but I dont think he is better defensively than Goins or Barney..you can tell he is rusty at the bat and field...seems to take awhile to get the ball out of his glove but Im sure that will come around..its his bat we need...Bats, EE and Donaldson are cold as hell and not one of them is hitting over 250....big series with the BoSox at home now...Boston has won twice as many games at home as the Jays..time to get that going.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I saw some pretty interesting gamesmanship between Osuna and Martin in the 9th.

With A-Rod at bat and a 1-2 count, Martin called for the slider, only to have Osuna shake him off. Martin calls the same pitch and Osuna nods and throws the slider.

What they were doing there is trying to get A-Rod off the breaking ball. A 1-2 count is when a pitcher will usually "bury" a breaking ball, or throw a change-up. Martin and Osuna know this and they know that A-Rod knows it as well. When Osuna shakes Martin off, they want A-Rod to think that he wants to go back to the fast ball.

It might have worked, except Osuna bounced it well in front of the plate.

Pretty interesting though and one of the things that I love about the game.

Yeah now that you've noticed it you'll probably notice it a lot more. Speaking from experience it can definitely screw with your head as a hitter. Catchers will sometimes just tell the hitter what pitch is coming. Sometimes he's lying, sometimes he's telling the truth. But definitely gets in your head as a hitter.

23 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I do too..but I dont think he is better defensively than Goins or Barney..you can tell he is rusty at the bat and field...seems to take awhile to get the ball out of his glove but Im sure that will come around..its his bat we need...Bats, EE and Donaldson are cold as hell and not one of them is hitting over 250....big series with the BoSox at home now...Boston has won twice as many games at home as the Jays..time to get that going.

No Travis won't provide that level of defence but its his timely hits that make him more valuable even with the downgrade on the defensive side. I think we'll see Goins or Barney sent down and we go with Tulo and Travis with Barney (my guess he stays) coming in for Travis late in games as a defensive sub.