The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

23 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

My one concern- will players respect him knowing he juiced and still wasn't very good? Lol

Nothing was ever confirmed that he did though.... So don't know where "knowing" comes from since it was all speculation, he has denied the rumors and as stated if you read reports they all say nothing was confirmed that he did, all speculation.

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Nothing was ever confirmed that he did though.... So don't know where "knowing" comes from since it was all speculation, he has denied the rumors and as stated if you read reports they all say nothing was confirmed that he did, all speculation.

The same can be said for many other players in the steroid era but the fact remains steroid use was rampant at that time. I wouldn't be shocked at all if zaun juiced.

19 hours ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Can of corn for Pillar?  Did I hear that right?

Probably. The "can of corn" saying comes from the idea of reaching up for a can of corn on the shelf. It's used to describe routine fly balls.

About yesterday's loss, I know the temptation is to blame it on Dickey, (and it is a bit frustrating that he can't seem to avoid that one bad inning that always does him in) but IMHO this one is on Gavin Floyd. Couldn't throw a strike to save his life and it's a lot to expect Storen to clean up his mess against the best hitting lineup in the league.

I don't blame Gibby for putting Floyd in the game, or even leaving him in as long as he did, but I do blame him for not having Travis bunt after the leadoff single by Smoak in the 9th. (I think) To me, that's fundamental baseball after a leadoff single and needing one run to win.

Take a look at the Red Sox. They're getting it done with power and speed...

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Probably. The "can of corn" saying comes from the idea of reaching up for a can of corn on the shelf. It's used to describe routine fly balls.

About yesterday's loss, I know the temptation is to blame it on Dickey, (and it is a bit frustrating that he can't seem to avoid that one bad inning that always does him in) but IMHO this one is on Gavin Floyd. Couldn't throw a strike to save his life and it's a lot to expect Storen to clean up his mess against the best hitting lineup in the league.

I don't blame Gibby for putting Floyd in the game, or even leaving him in as long as he did, but I do blame him for not having Travis bunt after the leadoff single by Smoak in the 9th. (I think) To me, that's fundamental baseball after a leadoff single and needing one run to win.

Take a look at the Red Sox. They're getting it done with power and speed...

some of Gibbys decisions are baffling...I kind of like the guy but he makes a lot of blunders that arent really acceptable.

• Upvote 1

Just now, ShakyWalton said:

some of Gibbys decisions are baffling...I kind of like the guy but he makes a lot of blunders that arent really acceptable.

He's one of those "3 run homer" kind of managers. There have been several of them over the years. (Earl Weaver comes to mind right away)

The idea is, when you have a power laden lineup, instead of risking running into outs or giving yourself up, you live and die by the long ball. It made sense last season when the Jays seemingly scored at will, but with the bats as cold as Winnipeg in February, I think you need to adapt and try other ways of scoring runs.

• Upvote 1

Paredes gets the demotion...for Tepera of all people....I dont think its a permanent one though.

A worn-out bullpen forced the Toronto Blue Jays to make a roster move.

Right-handed pitcher Ryan Tepera was recalled by Toronto from its triple-A affiliate on Monday afternoon, while infielder Jimmy Paredes was designated for assignment to make space.

"We're strapped," said Blue Jays manager John Gibbons in his office before Toronto hosted the New York Yankees. "Really strapped."

The Blue Jays had to rest closer Roberto Osuna, relievers Gavin Floyd, Joe Biagini and Jesse Chavez. Drew Storen was available, even though he'd pitched Saturday and Sunday.

47 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Paredes gets the demotion...for Tepera of all people....I dont think its a permanent one though.

A worn-out bullpen forced the Toronto Blue Jays to make a roster move.

Right-handed pitcher Ryan Tepera was recalled by Toronto from its triple-A affiliate on Monday afternoon, while infielder Jimmy Paredes was designated for assignment to make space.

"We're strapped," said Blue Jays manager John Gibbons in his office before Toronto hosted the New York Yankees. "Really strapped."

The Blue Jays had to rest closer Roberto Osuna, relievers Gavin Floyd, Joe Biagini and Jesse Chavez. Drew Storen was available, even though he'd pitched Saturday and Sunday.

Estrada has been working pretty efficiently so far today... who comes in to close if Osuna is out?

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

Only saw the 1st 4 innings, but it was nice to see the Jays batters driving up the pitch count early on in the game. Obviously that was one of the things that made them successful last year.

I've been kind of obsessed with keeping track of pitch counts. Last summer it seemed like once JB and Donaldson had seen around 60 pitches a HR/double was almost automatic.