The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Just to boost the optimism a bit more....

Apparently Hutch has been mowing them down in Triple A this season. Of course, Triple A is a lot different than MLB, but it bodes well for the Jays down the road when rosters are expanded, and/or if they move Sanchez back to the bullpen. (Right now, Sanchez is throwing too well to take him out of the rotation, but the plan all year has been to do just that at some point, in order to limit his innings pitched)

If Hutch can step up and be a reliable 5th starter, it gives the Jays a lot more options going into the second half of the season.

Jimmy...we hardly knew ya.....

Jimmy Paredes' Toronto Blue Jays career was a short one.

The team announced on Wednesday that the utility player had been dealt to the Philadelphia Phillies for cash or a player to be named later.

A native of San Cristobal, Dominican Republic, the 27-year-old Paredes was claimed on waivers by the Jays from the Baltimore Orioles on May 16. He appeared in seven games for the Jays, posting four hits and two runs batted in 17 plate appearances. He was designated for assignment on Monday to make room on the roster for reliever Ryan Tepera.

The Phillies will be the fifth team that Paredes has played for in his six-year pro career. After debuting with the Houston Astros in 2011, Paredes also spent time with the Kansas City Royals before signing with the Orioles.

His best season in the majors came a year ago with the Orioles. He appeared in 105 games, hitting .275 with 10 home runs and 42 RBI.

25 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Dealt for cash or a player to be named later...that hurts.

It seems a bit strange, but I think it comes down to roster space. There's a bit of a logjam in the middle infield and it will only get more crowded once Tulo gets back.

The Jays had to call up Tepera because the bullpen is gassed and it doesn't look like it's getting any easier on that front. 

They have tomorrow off, (after finishing up the Yankees series tonight) but after Thursday, they start a ridiculous string of games on 17 consecutive days. They are going to need that extra arm in the pen. In fact, I could see them sending someone down for a game so they can bring Hutch up for a spot start. (My guess would be somewhere in the Philly series, if so)

Tough to lose Paredes, because he was a useful bench player. Hopefully, he doesn't come back to haunt the Jays when they host the Phillies in the middle of this month. Even so, It's still preferable to having him hurt us as an Oriole.

1 hour ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Dealt for cash or a player to be named later...that hurts.

I don't disagree, but probably preferable to waivers.  His bat came in useful here and there but the utility man spots are taken up with glove first players in Barney and Goins and I don't disagree with that decision.

I've heard rumblings a couple times, namely from Happ and Estrada that they wanted to go the full game.  Personally, I like how Gibby is closely monitoring SP innings because only Dickey has a track record or going 200 in a year.  The Jays can't have Estrada, Happ, Stroman, and Sanchez gassed by September, so better not to let things get carried away now.

56 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It seems a bit strange, but I think it comes down to roster space. There's a bit of a logjam in the middle infield and it will only get more crowded once Tulo gets back.

The Jays had to call up Tepera because the bullpen is gassed and it doesn't look like it's getting any easier on that front. 

They have tomorrow off, (after finishing up the Yankees series tonight) but after Thursday, they start a ridiculous string of games on 17 consecutive days. They are going to need that extra arm in the pen. In fact, I could see them sending someone down for a game so they can bring Hutch up for a spot start. (My guess would be somewhere in the Philly series, if so)

Tough to lose Paredes, because he was a useful bench player. Hopefully, he doesn't come back to haunt the Jays when they host the Phillies in the middle of this month. Even so, It's still preferable to having him hurt us as an Oriole.

Yeah, it's just gotta be s bit of a blow to Paredes' ego. It's like being traded for "future considerations". I like what Paredes can bring but there's not really any need for him on the Jays. A better hitting catcher who can catch dickey or a heavier-hitting fourth outfielder would be nice off of the bench, though Zeke has been more than adequate thus far. 

1 hour ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Yeah, it's just gotta be s bit of a blow to Paredes' ego. It's like being traded for "future considerations". I like what Paredes can bring but there's not really any need for him on the Jays. A better hitting catcher who can catch dickey or a heavier-hitting fourth outfielder would be nice off of the bench, though Zeke has been more than adequate thus far. 

I think if Carrera starts today Saunders has lost his job for awhile...every player on the team has had a slump but soon as Saunders does he is platooned.

19 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I think if Carrera starts today Saunders has lost his job for awhile...every player on the team has had a slump but soon as Saunders does he is platooned.

I really hope not. Unfortunately Zeke hits left too so Saunders doesn't have that advantage. I'm just thankful Jay Bruce didn't pass his physical...imagine how bleak that would look now.

• Upvote 1

Quite the game going on in San Diego. 16-13 for the Mariners right now. 

Also you guys must be excited to see Dickey vs Price tomorrow. Too bad it wasn't Wright vs Dickey tomorrow and then Stroman vs Price on Saturday. Looking forward to Sunday's Matchup. Estrada vs Rodriguez. We will see how Rodriguez looks during his 2nd game back from a knee injury. 

3 hours ago, gmen81 said:

Also you guys must be excited to see Dickey vs Price tomorrow. Too bad it wasn't Wright vs Dickey tomorrow and then Stroman vs Price on Saturday. Looking forward to Sunday's Matchup. Estrada vs Rodriguez. We will see how Rodriguez looks during his 2nd game back from a knee injury. 

Mariners are playing so good this year! Really praying we make the playoffs for once. Been a fan of this team for so long, it's really exciting to see some success finally. Hope they can sustain it all season. It's June and they're still first in the division, that hasn't happened in forever

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UMB said:

Mariners are playing so good this year! Really praying we make the playoffs for once. Been a fan of this team for so long, it's really exciting to see some success finally. Hope they can sustain it all season. It's June and they're still first in the division, that hasn't happened in forever

How much fun would a Mariners / Cubs WS be!

12 hours ago, gmen81 said:

I had double check to see if it was actually a baseball game and not a Seahawks-Chargers game. 

6 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

How much fun would a Mariners / Cubs WS be!

That would be unreal! Though the Billy Goat curse would have to continue as I want my M's to win. 

• Upvote 1