The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

Rate this topic

12 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Yeah I'd rather have DP up anyway, just trying to think of what kind of depth they have. Mayberry Jr is gone I believe.

Yes, Mayberry is gone. there actually isn't a lot of outfield depth in Buffalo. Behind Pompey and Brown are Ceciliani and Junior Lake. 

In fact, both the Bisons and New Hampshire (the Jays' AA affiliate) are only carrying four outfielders. I imagine that if Pompey is called up, the Bisons would roll with the three guys they have and make the call to New Hampshire if someone gets injured.

Meanwhile, the Jays have been working Goins out at pretty much every position but Catcher and Pitcher. I think they need an extra position player in an NL park, which is why I expect Pompey to be called up, but my guess is that once they head to Baltimore, they're going to want an extra pitcher. DP will be sent back to Buffalo, Pillar, Bats and Zeke will be the outfielders (unless Saunders comes back by then) and Goins will be insurance.

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Yes, Mayberry is gone. there actually isn't a lot of outfield depth in Buffalo. Behind Pompey and Brown are Ceciliani and Junior Lake. 

In fact, both the Bisons and New Hampshire (the Jays' AA affiliate) are only carrying four outfielders. I imagine that if Pompey is called up, the Bisons would roll with the three guys they have and make the call to New Hampshire if someone gets injured.

Meanwhile, the Jays have been working Goins out at pretty much every position but Catcher and Pitcher. I think they need an extra position player in an NL park, which is why I expect Pompey to be called up, but my guess is that once they head to Baltimore, they're going to want an extra pitcher. DP will be sent back to Buffalo, Pillar, Bats and Zeke will be the outfielders (unless Saunders comes back by then) and Goins will be insurance.

Right! I forgot about Junior Lake. I wouldn't mind seeing him come up just to see what he's got, but I have no idea how his season has gone in the minors. He's such a toolsy player.

Pompey is still so young, born in either 92 or 93 I believe, but has already shown great promise. Funny how being ~23 in hockey usually means it's either time to "put up or shut up" (so to speak), but in baseball that's pretty much the infancy of your career for most guys.

16 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Right! I forgot about Junior Lake. I wouldn't mind seeing him come up just to see what he's got, but I have no idea how his season has gone in the minors. He's such a toolsy player.

Pompey is still so young, born in either 92 or 93 I believe, but has already shown great promise. Funny how being ~23 in hockey usually means it's either time to "put up or shut up" (so to speak), but in baseball that's pretty much the infancy of your career for most guys.

I remember Ceciliani almost made the team out of spring training...I think Pompey was sent down and Ceciliani was one of the last cuts..he isnt setting the world on fire in Buffalo..273 with no Hrs...but gets on base and his fielding is alright.

19 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I remember Ceciliani almost made the team out of spring training...I think Pompey was sent down and Ceciliani was one of the last cuts..he isnt setting the world on fire in Buffalo..273 with no Hrs...but gets on base and his fielding is alright.

Where are you getting those numbers Shaky? Bisons.com has him at .217, or were you referring to his OBP?

BTW: Montero is looking good as well. Close to a .300 average and leading the team in HRs and RBIs...but it doesn't look like they have him doing any catching at all. The Jays don't need another 1B...

21 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Yeah he had a great spring, he could be an option. They're better off than I thought they were. 273 isn't outstanding but it's solid, and he's shown he can hit mostly major league pitching in the spring. 

What's Billy Bean's motto? Just get on base :P

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Where are you getting those numbers Shaky? Bisons.com has him at .217, or were you referring to his OBP?

BTW: Montero is looking good as well. Close to a .300 average and leading the team in HRs and RBIs...but it doesn't look like they have him doing any catching at all. The Jays don't need another 1B...

you are right..yes his OBP was 279..wrong info after another look....I actually though Ceciliani made the team out of spring but I guess they went with tried and true Carrera.

So apparently the Jays have called up Chad Girodo, which makes sense and Andy Burns, which I suppose makes sense to them, because I have to confess that it makes no sense at all to me...

Phillies to hold Canadian Heritage celebration tonight: http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/phillies-hold-canadian-heritage-celebration-host-blue-jays/

Matt Stairs (now the Phils color analyst) will figure prominently.

Good on the Phillies for the gesture, but we aren't taking Bieber, or Celine back. (Besides, we already gave them Doc Halladay. The owe us)

• Upvote 1

Its nice the Jays are in the lead, really working the pitch count, etc., but poor baserunning decisions continue to be a problem.

Carrera thinks he can tag from first to second and wasn't even close, Travis tries to stretch a double into a triple and wasn't even close (wasn't paying attention to whether the cutoff man was going to throw to home). These are things they Jays seem to get caught for too often. 

• Upvote 1

Just came on here to rant about what I read this morning at work, about how Gibbons has said it will happen eventually that Sanchez is going to the Bullpen. Their excuse is to save his arm because he's been so dominate, that he has pitched more innings then all the other starters. One of the stupidest things I have heard from a professional team in a long time, just a sad excuse to help out their bullpen instead of actually trading pieces to fix the bullpen. Frustration with this organization is really getting to me, and Rogers.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Just came on here to rant about what I read this morning at work, about how Gibbons has said it will happen eventually that Sanchez is going to the Bullpen. Their excuse is to save his arm because he's been so dominate, that he has pitched more innings then all the other starters. One of the stupidest things I have heard from a professional team in a long time, just a sad excuse to help out their bullpen instead of actually trading pieces to fix the bullpen. Frustration with this organization is really getting to me, and Rogers.

Arguably their best pitcher this season..good old Shapiro cheaping out for Rogers...what a team.

14 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Arguably their best pitcher this season..good old Shapiro cheaping out for Rogers...what a team.

Fans need to hit ownership where it hurts and stop supporting their team.  Hiring this joke of a GM is unacceptable.

• Upvote 1

They went into the offseason unwilling to pay the money to staff their pitchers properly. Now they don't have any stability in their bullpen, so they want to rip out their second best starter out of his spot to cover their bases, without having the requisite starter to replace him in the rotation. (Hutchison or Chavez?)

Good cheap baseball, Rogers. You got what you wanted with Shapiro. Saving money by leaving gaping holes in the roster. Good work.

Knowing that the first thing that Shapiro did when he came in was rip into the existing staff for trading away prospects under AA, there is literally zero chance that he trades one to fill up the hole that he left.

The management isn't treating this season like the last of the closing window that it is. God knows they're not signing both Bautista and Encarnacion back. Or perhaps not even either of them. I'm set for mediocrity, because that's the model that they're establishing for themselves.

I'm happy to see them winning in spite of these things in this run they have going for themselves. It's just frustrating to see a prospect succeeding, only to be cut off at the knees because management was too incompetent in other faculties. They're entirely and realistically in the hunt still, so I hope they make sure it's not squandered

• Upvote 1

I thought the eventual BP move for Sanchez was more of a innings thing than help for the bullpen thing.  Still doesn't excuse not spending money on the bullpen in the summer.

Shutting down pitchers for an innings limit is common practice nowadays by most organizations other than Texas (thanks to Nolan Ryan). Whether it be because of injuries or fear or injuries, it happens. Sanchez us likely thrown a hell of a lot more innings than a guy his age would have twenty years ago. It sucks to see as a fan because he's been so good but I understand. They're looking to the future.

where I take issue with it is the apparent (IMO) lack of depth in the organization to cover for Sanchez when they do shut him down. Unless Chavez or Hutch or somebody can really step up, it'll be a huge loss for the team.