Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

The only thing I saw about the slide that could of overturned it was Pillar came up on all fours...must have considered that impedement...what a joke this new rule is.

We watched that replay over and over and were baffled at the call. A buddy of mine who's a Yankee fan said it was basically a textbook example of how you have to slide under the new rules.

 

The only thing we could come up with for the call being overturned was the fact that Pillar's foot appeared to make contact with the Philly player's foot before he made contact with the ground.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

We watched that replay over and over and were baffled at the call. A buddy of mine who's a Yankee fan said it was basically a textbook example of how you have to slide under the new rules.

 

The only thing we could come up with for the call being overturned was the fact that Pillar's foot appeared to make contact with the Philly player's foot before he made contact with the ground.

The rule needs to be changed. I saw some nastier slides in my cousin's Little League game last weekend that were considered legal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I was as critical of Russ as anybody but since he hit that first HR he's returned to form. His BA still isn't great but just to have it at .214 is pretty good considering where it was. He's hitting .279 in his last 15 and .260 in his last 30- I'll gladly take that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This new rule will lead to more injuries.  The whole rule comes from a play where it was an obvious intentional dirty slide.

 

Now the SS and 2B know they don't even have to try to avoid a slide, in fact they will try to get hit.  This will lead to more injuries than before.  It's a rule to fix a nonexistent problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So by this logic we will have Sanchez and Stroman going to the bullpen later on this year? You can't say no for Stroman then because he is a young arm and is your future, but I don't hear his name coming up just Sanchez. This is why I believe it's a cheap strategy excuse for Sanchez without actually saying it, to make moves to fix the bullpen. Of course the reasoning they're saying makes it sound like it's the right call for the future and tricks people to make it seem like it's to protect Sanchez, so by that logic then it looks smart. But it contradicts it self if Stroman doesn't get put in the bullpen as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BCNeil said:

This new rule will lead to more injuries.  The whole rule comes from a play where it was an obvious intentional dirty slide.

 

Now the SS and 2B know they don't even have to try to avoid a slide, in fact they will try to get hit.  This will lead to more injuries than before.  It's a rule to fix a nonexistent problem.

Its ridiculous..not only that..its time consuming, more replays..just another rule to take away the essence of the game...I hate it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

So by this logic we will have Sanchez and Stroman going to the bullpen later on this year? You can't say no for Stroman then because he is a young arm and is your future, but I don't hear his name coming up just Sanchez. This is why I believe it's a cheap strategy excuse for Sanchez without actually saying it, to make moves to fix the bullpen. Of course the reasoning they're saying makes it sound like it's the right call for the future and tricks people to make it seem like it's to protect Sanchez, so by that logic then it looks smart. But it contradicts it self if Stroman doesn't get put in the bullpen as well. 

That pitcher for Philly last night is 23 and has been a starter for 2 years..he is a big boy like Sanchez...why cant Sanchez handle the starting role?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Its ridiculous..not only that..its time consuming, more replays..just another rule to take away the essence of the game...I hate it.

and the more ironic part is, there are a few times a year where a player is trying to injury the SS/2B for whatever reason.

One sided game.....player hit by pitch...team histories......whatever.

This rule won't deter that.  Player knows he will be kicked out of the game....he isn't concerned about an out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

That pitcher for Philly last night is 23 and has been a starter for 2 years..he is a big boy like Sanchez...why cant Sanchez handle the starting role?

Well that's the thing Sanchez can.... This is why I am so frustrated with the decision, because I know he can handle it, but they just want to use it as an excuse to play it out the cheap way to fix the bullpen. This is a guy who the Jays weren't even sure was going to be a starter for them, now all of a sudden they are so worried about him and having him over pitch for their future. Well I'm sorry their time to win is now NOT in the future. The only way I will agree to shut him down is if they're already in a playoff spot, until that happens there is NO reason to shut him down unless he asks for it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well that's the thing Sanchez can.... This is why I am so frustrated with the decision, because I know he can handle it, but they just want to use it as an excuse to play it out the cheap way to fix the bullpen. This is a guy who the Jays weren't even sure was going to be a starter for them, now all of a sudden they are so worried about him and having him over pitch for their future. Well I'm sorry their time to win is now NOT in the future. The only way I will agree to shut him down is if they're already in a playoff spot, until that happens there is NO reason to shut him down unless he asks for it. 

exactly...Sanchez is a horse and their second best pitcher right now...

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

exactly...Sanchez is a horse and their second best pitcher right now...

He is, and the way he pitches is just so natural and smooth he makes it look so effortless. I've also heard Jamie and Zaun discuss this before, that he doesn't over pitch to try and get people out he just has a nice perfect pitching mechanics, that it will probably prevent him from getting injured. It never looks like he is trying to over throw to strike people out like some pitchers do, and that's when pitchers can get hurt, Sanchez doesn't do this. I just don't get it and can't stand what they're planning on him 100% disagree.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Buck and Tabby hardly ever mention Saunders when they are talking about hitting on the team,, Saunders is always a throw in....they say every body is starting to hit  blah blah.....when Saunders has the best BA on the team as well as best OBP ..also the 4th most dingers..lol

Shaky finally starting to like Saunders.......:)

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

exactly...Sanchez is a horse and their second best pitcher right now...

I heard on ESPN some baseball guy, forgot his name, say that with pitchers their is a formula for innings pitched from one season to the next.  I think the guy said no more than a 40% increase from the previous season.  Sanchez is approaching what he pitched last season already.  I guess they are saving his arm?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I heard on ESPN some baseball guy, forgot his name, say that with pitchers their is a formula for innings pitched from one season to the next.  I think the guy said no more than a 40% increase from the previous season.  Sanchez is approaching what he pitched last season already.  I guess they are saving his arm?

I understand saving his arm and sheltering him a bit..but really..they have been giving him extra days rest already this year..just seems like a cost saving Shapiro thing to me....but Im not the coach/GM.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I understand saving his arm and sheltering him a bit..but really..they have been giving him extra days rest already this year..just seems like a cost saving Shapiro thing to me....but Im not the coach/GM.

 

 

Washington literally shut down Strasbergh just prior to the playoffs a couple seasons ago for the same reason.  They said he had a capped number of innings, and once reached he 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I heard on ESPN some baseball guy, forgot his name, say that with pitchers their is a formula for innings pitched from one season to the next.  I think the guy said no more than a 40% increase from the previous season.  Sanchez is approaching what he pitched last season already.  I guess they are saving his arm?

I haven't heard that before but hats interesting. Good point by somebody above about Stroman/Sanchez though- why isn't Stro on a limit? Maybe cause he missed almost all of last year. Who knows.

 

an interesting contrast to this innings limit is what Nolan Ryan does with his pitchers in Texas. I read about it in sports illustrated a few years back so maybe it's changed, I don't know. He has them throw long toss every day no matter what. The day before a start, the day after a start, and everyday in between they throw long toss. He did it during his career as well. He never had real injury problems and so far his pitching staff hasn't had arm problems under his watch so it's an interesting idea. Totally goes against the modern way of thinking though

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...