The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

45 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The Jays' hitters are still falling into the same old bad habits.

Yesterday, both Encarnacion and Saunders come up with nobody on and down by four runs. The team needs baserunners. Yet both hitters pull the ball into the shift for easy outs. The day before, Edwing got two hits the other way, while Saunders hit two opposite field dingers in Philly.

Meanwhile, the O's were taking what the Jays' pitchers gave them and were constantly coming up with two out and two strike hits.

I always liked Mike Schmidt's approach- when asked how he hit 500+ HR's he said he didn't try to, he just tried to hit the pitcher in the belly button as hard as he could.

5 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

what happened to stroman jeez

He's off for sure, magnified by the fact that 3 of his last 4 starts have been against the Red Sox and Orioles, 2 of the best hitting teams in baseball.

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

He's calling your comment rude... 

Ah, I see. Personally, I think it's rude to dump on a guy who just threw a quality start and got no run support.....as usual.

But to each their own, I guess...

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Ah, I see. Personally, I think it's rude to dump on a guy who just threw a quality start and got no run support.....as usual.

But to each their own, I guess...

I don't disagree with you. Even Dickey's last 'poor' start, where he gave up about 6 runs against the Yankees, I thought he threw very well for 4-5 innings. 

To be fair, I think that what some people here are saying is that they don't trust Dickey, not that he hasn't been throwing well. At some point though you have to look at his trend and say "okay, he's locked in now". 

Just now, Down by the River said:

I don't disagree with you. Even Dickey's last 'poor' start, where he gave up about 6 runs against the Yankees, I thought he threw very well for 4-5 innings. 

To be fair, I think that what some people here are saying is that they don't trust Dickey, not that he hasn't been throwing well. At some point though you have to look at his trend and say "okay, he's locked in now". 

To be fair, you should go back and read some of the quotes that had me questioning certain poster's knowledge of the game. Bear in mind that these same people claimed that 200+ innings pitched in a season wasn't worth anything.

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

To be fair, you should go back and read some of the quotes that had me questioning certain poster's knowledge of the game. Bear in mind that these same people claimed that 200+ innings pitched in a season wasn't worth anything.

Yes, Dickey is an inning muncher.  Is he a good muncher though?

Just now, Alflives said:

Yes, Dickey is an inning muncher.  Is he a good muncher though?

It depends on whether you understand the fact that managers generally do not leave pitchers in a game long enough to amass 200 innings, if most of them are not good....

On 6/20/2016 at 7:57 AM, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I always liked Mike Schmidt's approach- when asked how he hit 500+ HR's he said he didn't try to, he just tried to hit the pitcher in the belly button as hard as he could.

Love Schmidt.  He was a vacuum too.

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It depends on whether you understand the fact that managers generally do not leave pitchers in a game long enough to amass 200 innings, if most of them are not good....

Dickey does get left in though.  He is able to absorb a lot of innings because there is little or no strain on his elbow.  I defer to Wild Sean on baseball.  I played cricket.

44 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dickey does get left in though.  He is able to absorb a lot of innings because there is little or no strain on his elbow.  I defer to Wild Sean on baseball.  I played cricket.

I played my first game over 50 years ago and I'm still playing....

....and I don't think you can back up your first two sentences with statistics.

Edited by RUPERTKBD

25 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I played my first game over 50 years ago and I'm still playing....

....and I don't think you can back up your first two sentences with statistics.

Yup.  I'm not a stats guy.  Dickey is an inning muncher.  That's a stat.  He has a high ERA.  That's a stat. 

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'll admit that most of my disdain for dickey stems from resentment over the trade. Easily AA's worst move of his tenure. I like Dickey as a person- seems like a nice, genuine guy and he competes his butt off which is the one quality I respect most in athletes. For that reason I'm glad he won his Cy Young award too. Where I have issue with him is the price tag- he's not worth the money. You can sit there and tell us he is and tell us we're poorly informed and lack baseball knowledge but I'll disagree with you on all 3 counts there, when generally I agree with you on just about everything on CDC. I'm not saying they should've let him go to retain price, but I do think the money could be better allocated. On top of that, he's a knuckleballer- the very nature of the pitch is unpredictably. More than just about any conventional pitcher (especially those making Dickey's money) you don't know what you're going to get. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's atrocious. I'd rather see a guy that you can trot out there and expect he'll be perfectly average on most days. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  I'm not a stats guy.  Dickey is an inning muncher.  That's a stat.  He has a high ERA.  That's a stat. 

High compared to what? He's just over 4 and not a whole lot worse than Happ or Sanchez, who are both around 3.5. Doesn't look all that bad to me...

8 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I'll admit that most of my disdain for dickey stems from resentment over the trade. Easily AA's worst move of his tenure. I like Dickey as a person- seems like a nice, genuine guy and he competes his butt off which is the one quality I respect most in athletes. For that reason I'm glad he won his Cy Young award too. Where I have issue with him is the price tag- he's not worth the money. You can sit there and tell us he is and tell us we're poorly informed and lack baseball knowledge but I'll disagree with you on all 3 counts there, when generally I agree with you on just about everything on CDC. I'm not saying they should've let him go to retain price, but I do think the money could be better allocated. On top of that, he's a knuckleballer- the very nature of the pitch is unpredictably. More than just about any conventional pitcher (especially those making Dickey's money) you don't know what you're going to get. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's atrocious. I'd rather see a guy that you can trot out there and expect he'll be perfectly average on most days. 

Yeah, I've seen to say that before and I should probably clarify: I don't think you're not knowledgeable about baseball (and I apologize for suggesting that) but I do think you have a blind spot where Dickey is concerned.

You did say something to the effect of "what good is 200 innings when most of them are crap". To me, that looks an awful lot like a preconceived bias...

Anyway, it's fair enough. You and Shaky don't like Dickey for whatever reason, but I'm curious to know, how would you have spent the money that the Jays used on Dickey? Bear in mind, that both Happ and Estrada make close to the same amount and neither has ever thrown 200 innings in their career.

28 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

High compared to what? He's just over 4 and not a whole lot worse than Happ or Sanchez, who are both around 3.5. Doesn't look all that bad to me...

Yeah, I've seen to say that before and I should probably clarify: I don't think you're not knowledgeable about baseball (and I apologize for suggesting that) but I do think you have a blind spot where Dickey is concerned.

You did say something to the effect of "what good is 200 innings when most of them are crap". To me, that looks an awful lot like a preconceived bias...

Anyway, it's fair enough. You and Shaky don't like Dickey for whatever reason, but I'm curious to know, how would you have spent the money that the Jays used on Dickey? Bear in mind, that both Happ and Estrada make close to the same amount and neither has ever thrown 200 innings in their career.

He throws a knuckle ball.