The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Hansen Keep/Trade him?

First off thank you everyone for joining the discussion. I'm glad we can all come together and discuss things like this. Lately all the talk has been around Kesler and Edler. Figured this would be a good time to talk about more about one of our complimentary pieces. I wanted to respond to a few posts just for fun :D

I hope we could ship him off for a young forward with Top-6 potential, much like how the Wild trading Clutterbuck brought them Niederreiter. Hansen + Schroeder out East somewhere for a decent young forward works for me. Neither of those guys can really cut it as Top-6 guys who would thrive in the Pacific but they're still good enough to get someone who can grow into a decent player since they are decent players themselves.

(Burr/ Danny) _______ - Hank - Jensen

(Danny/ Burr) _______ - Kes - _______ (Higgins)

Booth - Matthias - Kassian (I'll keep them together next season as the 3rd line because they've played really well)

Archibald - Richardson - _______

This is exactly the thought process I have. We have a lot of solid depth players but we could always use more offensive prospects. The great thing about the players you mentioned in Hansen and Scroeder is that they would be great pieces for a lot of teams. Great contribution :D I am sure several eastern teams would be interested in these guys.

This. Trade him to a team that wants an immediate impact player and is willing to give up a good prospect.

Phoenix, Washington, Winnipeg, and the Islanders could be good trading partners.

Great trading partners. :D You came up with a much bigger list then I could of. Thanks for your contribution!

Hansen is not a top 6 forward on any team no matter the situation.

Hansen currently isn't really a bonafide top 6 forward you are correct. But on a team like PHX where offense is scarce his speed and experience would be a valuable asset. If given the opportunity he could grow into a reasonable top 6 forward for a lower tier team. (He is very defensively responsible so there would be no defensive liability.)

Ahh CDC at its bi-polar best.

For months I've been hearing, trade Booth he's a bum. Booth where offence goes to die.

People griping and complaining about his $4.5 Million dollar salary.

Then he with Kassian and Richardson start playing well.

Now it's dump Hansen. (Whom for the record tends to be far more durable, costs $2 million less)

Hansen: 11 goals 9 assists 20 points

Booth: 8 goals 9 assists 17 points.

The only issue is Booth shoots the puck. Hansen is more cautious. Booth does hit more, but is also more frequently injured.

I don't mind Hansen being on the 3rd or 4th Line. At least he works his tail off. And how soon everyone forgets 2011-12.

Hansen had 16 goals, 23 assists and +18.

Take the lockout shortened season and convert it to 82 games he'd have similar points in the 35-40 range as well.

Hansen had an off year just like everyone else. But at least he shows up every night.

The point of this post isn't to say we should drop Hansen. But rather what is our best option given the depth we have? Hansen has a pretty good contract and his NTC will be kicking in soon. Like you said about his point production in the shortened season. Imagine if he has given the opportunity to develop in the top 6 of a struggling team he would certainly be able to exceed those numbers if he was trained to have a more offensive focus.

That's kinda where I'm coming from. If we can't get value from him, then why trade him? On the other hand, he's a a player who we could move to make a roster spot for our younger players to come up and play but I'm not interested in getting rid of a solid piece for nothing just to make room for prospects.

I completely understand where you are coming from. If we look at the projection of our youth though we will more then likely have Jensen return and its very possible at least one of our prospects may get called up at some point in year. Just makes sense to have a player from the AHL fill in on the 4th line if we move Hansen. (Given we will need roster space either this coming year or next.)

I could really see a team like PHX offer a decent prospect for the amount of speed and impact Hansen would bring to their lineup. I appreciate you joining the conversation :D

Thank you everyone that has and plans to join the discussion. :D

I would trade him but it depends on the return. U probably can't get much for him tho. I see him as a 3rd liner who has potential to play on the 2nd on most teams.

Contending team who needs wing depth: Hansen

Van: 2nd? If we're lucky maybe a 3rd as well?

I think that's a bit much for Hansen. It could work tho because he's as fast as they get and hits as well. As far as his use to us, its non-existant IMO, Santo just took his job and we're not contenders anymore.

Hansen is on pace for 12 goals and 21 points this season and is barely a top 6 player on one of the NHL's worst offensive teams. He has never scored more than 16 goals and has never even had a pace of 20 goals.

He is not a young prospect and is likely playing as good as he will get at the age of 28.

I am surprised so many people still try to push this guy as a top 6 winger. He is a good 3rd line winger but if he is in the top 6 it's because something is wrong with the team. Teams do want 3rd line players with a solid defensive game and some offensive awareness but this isn't an extremely rare commodity or something a team has to have. Hence teams likely won't give you anything substantial. You are likely looking at a mid round pick or a sub par prospect in return. The best option would probably be trading him for a player who is simply seen as redundant or expendable on other team.

Hansen is a good player but there is nothing utterly special about him. Players like him exist all over the NHL. Teams simply don't have to give up a substantial amount to get players like him.

Hansen has kind of flown under the radar the past two seasons (for different reasons).

Hansen was 3rd on the team in points last year, good for a 47 point pace. 47 points would rank him as a "very good" 2nd line player.

Despite these numbers, many argued that he was a "good 3rd line player".

Leading up to last season he scored 39, 29 points respectively, around a 10 point jump per season. I had really hoped to see Hansen jump into 50-55 point territory, which is low-end first line winger production. Combining his contract and intangibles he was a classic money ball player.

This have changed this year. He is now a "good" third line player. I can't find the average point total per NHL forward, but he is making average salary, although median salary is around $1.7ish (average driven up by top players). I am guessing it is somewhere around 27 points, which means he earning a about $700k more than he is worth.

What does this mean? His trade value is probably extremely low. Unless we are pushing up against the cap we might as well hold on to him and hope for a rebound. At least he is still a player who contributes. If we need to shed dollars, David Booth would be the obvious pick (probably have to package him up with a pick for a Kellan Tochkin type contract player).

Hansen would only fetch us a 4th or 5th, so the option of trading Hansen isn't a great one.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2011/9/27/2452941/common-misconceptions-how-much-should-that-forward-score

That's kinda where I'm coming from. If we can't get value from him, then why trade him? On the other hand, he's a a player who we could move to make a roster spot for our younger players to come up and play but I'm not interested in getting rid of a solid piece for nothing just to make room for prospects.

Yeah its just not worth it. If he's the odd man out at camp then sure but I dont want him shipped out just to give archibald a job. If we want to be competetive next season then hansen should be in our bottom six. He's a great third liner and we dont have a buttload of RW on the farm screaming for a job. Even if someone does take his 3rd line job, hansen on the 4th line likely means your close to cup winning depth.

Key word missing is "limited"

Hansen and Higgins both have limited NTC. Meaning if canucks decide to trade them we still can

The fact it's a limited NTC does change the equation slightly. I didn't know it was limited. The question though if Hansen does stay and we eventually want to move him. Are we going to get the same offer from a contending team if that's his choice of selection.

*I should of done my due diligence to check the exact NTC status.*

Thx for your contribtion!

Yeah its just not worth it. If he's the odd man out at camp then sure but I dont want him shipped out just to give archibald a job. If we want to be competetive next season then hansen should be in our bottom six. He's a great third liner and we dont have a buttload of RW on the farm screaming for a job. Even if someone does take his 3rd line job, hansen on the 4th line likely means your close to cup winning depth.

No kidding. I'd rather lose Dalpe or someone similar to waivers as a 4th liner that Hansen pushes down the depth chart, than trade Hansen for next to nothing.

I wouldn't trade him until you got a replacement. If one of the kids take his job then sure. He's more valuable than the 3rd round pick you'd get for him. Play him on the 4th line if you have to and can fit under the cap. He'd be the best 4th liner in the league.

Sestito Richardson Hansen would probably be the best 4th line in the league actually.

I agree with Elvis, this makes sense. But...

The time to trade Hansen would have been at the deadline. Rundblad went for a second round pick. Phoenix was desperate for forwards. If we took a cap dump;

Voila we might have had our PMD prospect???

Hansen would have also helped Washington. Hansen might have pulled Orlov who was still trying find a role on their team.

A maniacally hard working checking forward, who can kill penalties, has more value just before the play off's. Off season GM's look to fill main roles.

I keep him, though I am a bit biased because he is my favorite player, but regardless, I keep him. I think we need to focus on our top 6 forwards more than worry about what Jannik Hansen is doing. We don't have a single player on the roster with more than 50 points. I haven't done research on it, but I doubt any other team, besides the Sabres, has every player under 50 points. Hansen has 11 goals this year, which is low, but still tied for 5th on our roster.

I think this team was very poorly coached all year long, and with the mess of injuries, it threw things off and made it difficult for everyone on the roster. If we keep a consistent 3rd line of Hansen-Matthias-Higgins next year, we have in my opinion one of the best 3rd lines in the NHL, and it costs us under 7 mil for that 3rd line, which to me is very reasonable. Hansen has a great shot, though is afraid to pull the trigger, he is among the fastest players we have, can play quality defense, and log good minutes on the penalty kill. He's a valuable asset to this team and it would be a shame to see a player like him in another jersey. Though this year has been rough, he really has been one of the unsung heroes of this team for the last few years. I believe somewhere in there is the 16 goal, 39 point, 2011 Jannik Hansen, and I think we could see that type of production again next year.

That line-up is terrible. Booth is not going to be playing on the 4th line he is a second line player if he is not playing up to snuff he will be waived or traded. Santorelli is pretty much the reason why we are not in the playoffs and soon as he went down this team production plummeted and you are sticking him on the 4th line? If he plays like he did this year next year he is a second line player.

Burrows, Booth and Hansen need to go.

:picard:

Archived