The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Suspension] Joshua Ho-Sang Suspended 15 Games...

Wow! I can't believe that got a 15 game suspension. (For anyone interested, the OHL has a video including simple graphics explaining their rational behind the suspension.)

What's really interesting is that he got 15 games for that, but the London Knights' goalie Anthony Stolarz was only suspended 8 games for swinging his stick and hitting Ho-Sang in the back of the head. (news story, video) Apparently the OHL is emulating the NHL's supplementary discipline logic.

It is a noticeable shove from behind on a player in a dangerous spot, and I usually am in favour of the harsher suspensions the OHL hands out compared to the NHL, but even considering the difference between regular season games (which is when Ho-Sang will serve his) and playoff games (when Stolarz serves his) that's too large a gap to ignore.

That's a joke. That wasn't even a penalty.

Uh, no, that's absolutely a penalty. It's not like they rubbed shoulders and one guy fell, Ho-Sang noticeably pushes Bell from behind going into the boards. It shouldn't matter at that point if his feet go out or he goes head first for whether or not it's a penalty.

Good. They should start increasing the penalties and fines at the NHL level too.

It's time NHLers start paying hundreds of thousands of dollars and are suspended for dozens of games.

If they're going to play like criminals, it's time to start treating them like criminals.

It's a great idea, but the NHLPA wont stand for it.

That was dirty on every level. Smoking shot and a slick move. Skating was perfectly on par too slicing the d

Cant wait to give him a chance up here and see what this guy can do. I dont think he will impact the team if he makes it next year (well you never know) but the year after I could see him being just unreal once he gets used to the pace and play.

I don't mind excessive suspensions. Respect for other players should always be a concern. You never know what can happen if you decide to slip in a dirty play in the heat of the moment.

Though, I still wish they would suspend on intent instead of result.

When Ho-Sang pushed the player, they were well inside the faceoff circle and nowhere near the boards. If the guy doesn't lose his balance, he bounces off the check. I am really sorry the defender ended up with a broken leg, but that wasn't even a minor penalty much less a suspension. As for the OHL sending a message, the message is obviously, "We hand out random suspensions for routine hockey plays that go badly."

Did you even watch the video...?

Zero Intent to from Josh Ho-Sang.

Pure fracking stupidity from him as well - No need to make the check in the first place, vulnerable spot, unlucky play.

It was a stupid play, and now he pays. It's the only way young players will get the message that this crap is not going to be tolerated at the NHL and International levels; Intentional or not - you should be trying to protect each other out there to some degree, when you see somebody in a vulnerable spot like that - you should have enough respect for them as a human being and as another father/brother/son trying to provide a life for themselves/their families by playing hockey that you don't pull this kind of crap.

I'm not just referring to this hit, there are SO many young guys that just don't seem to get it;

hits like this -

4 games for THAT is nowhere near enough. This mofo should have been nailed to the wall - 12 games, and a $125K fine.

If you start penalizing players that much, you can be DAMN sure they will be watching eachothers backs out there - because if you don't, everybody is going to pay. Literally.

;and yes you could argue that 12 games and $125k isn't enough. I would support you. But the simple truth is you can't hit junior players in their pocketbooks, so they would likely need to be suspended a few more games to make up for the cash thrown around in the NHL - or some other type of compensation would need to be considered

I cant even find a 2 minute penalty for that play. ive watched it over and over and it looks like the injurred player cuts in front of ho-sang to get body position, ho-sang appears to push on his butt with his gloves in an attempt to knock him a bit off balance. He isnt in a vulnerable position and he is way far away from the boards. 15 games for a butt-push is obsurd.

Archived