The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Linden to be new President of Vancouver Canucks

Where do I sign the petition? First thing, is get rid of Gillis. Second thing bring Linden in as President. Class act all the way like Neely and Sakic. Third, sign Stan Smyl as GM. He can then fire Torts and bring in someone who wants to play hockey and not 'try and stand in front of your goal and screen the goalie".

And if they are qualified, still go the other direction?

Naslund has been GM of MoDo for 5 years.

I see them as perfect hires.

Not to be a downer, but just quickly checked up on team MODO since Nazzy has been GMing them and here are their stats under Nazzy:

2013-2014 season: in 55 games, MODO had 28 wins and 27 losses. The teams top scorer only had 28 points.

2012-2013 season: in 55 games, MODO had 26 wins and 29 losses. The team top scored only had 35 points.

2011-2012 season: in 55 games, MODO had 27 wins and 28 losses. The teams top scorer had 52 points.

2010-2011 season: in 55 games, MODO had 23 wins and 32 losses. The teams too scorer had 44 points.

Not great, average at best. Track-record shows it and under Nazzy, team hasn't beEN a top team in the league so you can't just assume a former Canuck could become a upgrade over MG and a "perfect hire". His 2010-2011 year team was dead last and rest of the years MODO was a team at the back of the standings and was never higher than 7th in the standings. Not to mention the team has had pretty low leading scorers so to think that = instant NHL success is ridiculous.

And if they are qualified, still go the other direction?

Linden has built a successful business, and Naslund has been GM of MoDo for 5 years.

I see them as perfect hires.

My mother built a successful home-based business, I suppose this makes her qualified too?

Not to be a downer, but just quickly checked up on team MODO since Nazzy has been GMing them and here are their stats under Nazzy:

2013-2014 season: in 55 games, MODO had 28 wins and 27 losses. The teams top scorer only had 28 points.

2012-2013 season: in 55 games, MODO had 26 wins and 29 losses. The team top scored only had 35 points.

2011-2012 season: in 55 games, MODO had 27 wins and 28 losses. The teams top scorer had 52 points.

2010-2011 season: in 55 games, MODO had 23 wins and 32 losses. The teams too scorer had 44 points.

Not great, average at best. Track-record shows it and under Nazzy, team hasn't beEN a top team in the league so you can't just assume a former Canuck could become a upgrade over MG and a "perfect hire". His 2010-2011 year team was dead last and rest of the years MODO was a team at the back of the standings and was never higher than 7th in the standings. Not to mention the team has had pretty low leading scorers so to think that = instant NHL success is ridiculous.

What I see is a team that has increased the number of games it won from year 1 to year 4. As MG say's "it's a process" but it looks like Naslund is slowly improving a piss poor Modo team.

What I see is a team that has increased the number of games it won from year 1 to year 4. As MG say's "it's a process" but it looks like Naslund is slowly improving a piss poor Modo team.

Well that's picking and choosing to convey your argument. From year 1-4 (essentially), the team has drastically decreased in it's top leading scorer and usually, that's a sign of the GMing.

I don't know that league well enough to speculate. He could possibly have been left in a crappy situation when he got the job, or he could possibly suck as a GM, but if you graph MG's tenure here you'd have to snowplow down that hill. They improved in the first little bit as the remains of the Nonis/Burke era aged in to their prime, and then declined as MG added only older veterans to the team. I am not qualified to say Naslund is the perfect guy, because there's a lot of under the radar guys that could be GM, but I'm also not qualified to say he isn't, but I do like Naslund, so I'm cheering for him to be the next GM, or at least assistant.

My mother built a successful home-based business, I suppose this makes her qualified too?

What made MG qualified? Agent and lawyer? Linden hasn't just build a quilting lessons business out of his garage. He has built a very successful gym business, along with charities, and worked with the PA. I don't see how he is under-qualified for the Prez job.

Great! Does she love Vancouver and is she Canadian? If so, please forward her resume to ownership!

Well that's picking and choosing to convey your argument. From year 1-4 (essentially), the team has drastically decreased in it's top leading scorer and usually, that's a sign of the GMing.

Technically you are picking and choosing to convey your argument too. Improvement in the standings is much more indicative of a GM's success than what their top scorer gets.

Ok, chill out everyone...

They want Trev there as a figurehead to shut the fans up for a while and buy everyone some time. Get all those season tickets renewed.

If he takes the job I doubt he would have any real power.

I'm as big of a Linden mark as anyone, but you have to see this move for what it is.

Aqua man must be sweating if he's ready to play the Linden card, you can only play that card once.

On another note Linden and Kesler are good friends, so take that for what it's worth.

Technically you are picking and choosing to convey your argument too. Improvement in the standings is much more indicative of a GM's success than what their top scorer gets.

Not really at least what I think and am saying honestly from a neutral point. Even at a standings basis they didn't improve that much. They were still a team near the back of the standings and were a .500 team. For 4 years staying around that same ballpark isn't an improvement in my mind. And usually having high production players = better improvement in the standings.

But yea, I love Naslund though looking at his track record in Sweden, it's not a persuasive argument considering he never really improved there in a span of 4 years. Just my 2 cents from a neutral point.

What made MG qualified? Agent and lawyer? Linden hasn't just build a quilting lessons business out of his garage. He has built a very successful gym business, along with charities, and worked with the PA. I don't see how he is under-qualified for the Prez job.

Trev has done quite well as a businessman since retiring.

His chief business is real estate, the gym is just his most high-profile venture.

Whether the skills of a real estate mogul translate to the hockey world remains to be seen.

I do know he is well liked league-wide (save for those few who sued him during the union debacle and they are all gone from the game) so I would think he might have a better chance at making fair deals with other GM's. It's always been rumored that other GM's didn't like Gillis.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I see Linden more as a coach then a GM and if he can bring the same leadership as coach as he did as captain then I'm all for this move.

We'll have a Cup in five years! :P

Not really at least what I think and am saying honestly from a neutral point. Even at a standings basis they didn't improve that much. They were still a team near the back of the standings and were a .500 team. For 4 years staying around that same ballpark isn't an improvement in my mind. And usually having high production players = better improvement in the standings.

But yea, I love Naslund though looking at his track record in Sweden, it's not a persuasive argument considering he never really improved there in a span of 4 years. Just my 2 cents from a neutral point.

I get what you're saying. I am just giving him the benefit of the doubt since I know nothing about that league or the team, and to judge him on just a few stat lines seems extremely premature. I'd trust Linden to make the right decision on GM if he was the prez of hockey ops, and for my own reasons I hope that is Naslund.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Much ado about nothing.

Linden said he had not even been approached.

And Bush said Iraq had WMD's what's your point?

I get what you're saying. I am just giving him the benefit of the doubt since I know nothing about that league or the team, and to judge him on just a few stat lines seems extremely premature. I'd trust Linden to make the right decision on GM if he was the prez of hockey ops, and for my own reasons I hope that is Naslund.

Fair enough. If it's true Linden becomes president and they want to bring in Nazzy, I personally would keep Gillis for one more year/chance and make Nazzy the assistant GM behind MG. Let him get a feel of how things are run and don't rush him into the spot. Ultimately still wouldn't want Nazzy as GM as I have a vibe he wouldn't know how to get it done but just saying if they want him, make him assistant for at least 1 year.

Archived