The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rebuild coming ahead with MG firing.

Sandro17

OK so I looked at the MG firing and when I had first heard the decision I didn't like it. The reason for this was I believed that a firing in this situation is a knee jerk reaction to fans not buying tickets.

Lets be real, a bad season can occur to any team and the past 2 years MG hasn't been able to add anything to the team because of cap restraints. Whats more, I think his hand was twisted in the firing of Alain Vigneault and hiring of Torts, the trading of Lu (because of his retarded twitter comments and Torts choosing not to play Lu in the Heritage Classic) and most importantly trading Schneids (Salary cap played a huge role in this trade).

Having said this, how is our situation MGs fault?

Well the team is clearly on the decline, and with the direction were heading (needing younger players in the system). MG has proven that he has the ability to compliment core players to a great extent (Higgins, Lappiere, Santorelli, etc.). If the question is "Is MG the guy that will help our core get to the finals" the answer is yes.

There is a catch though. The core is declining and it is ill equipped for our new coach's style of play and more importantly, the organization wants to go thru a youth movement and attain younger players (IMO euphemism for rebuild) MG has given out numerous NTC's which he said he wouldn't ask anyone to waive under any circumstance. The question here becomes "Is MG the guy who can bring in a new core with all the NTC's he's given out and his inability to make huge trades that can change the teams core? The answer is no

Looking at MGs patterns of management, he is good at building around a core, but he has never shown the ability to make a new core.

Now you may be asking yourself "Well why don't you think MG can make a new core? You haven't given him a chance to draft high yet" The answer is NTCs. If a re build is to happen, your top players typically have to be traded for 1st round draft picks and with NTC's given out to Edler, Kesler, and the Sedins, coupled with MG's "No asking players to waive" policy, a rebuild under MG would be a painstakingly longer process than it should take. I love irony don't you?

If the organizations new direction is to build from youth again (Which has been said time and time again) and the core is declining obviously there was only one correct move to make, fire MG.

I think this move by Aquaman says a few things on what he thinks of the organization.

1. Our window has closed. Why fire a man who does well with complimenting the core if you want to take strides with your current core and win the cup?

2. He wants a re-build. It's over, the window has closed and we have to start fresh. Youth movement + firing manager + hiring new coach = rebuild IMO

I guess thats it, 2014 signifies the start of a new era, Post MG - Luongo - Vigneault.

*Holds breath for McDavid*

How sure are you that we will be rebuilding and getting rid of course players like Kessler and sedins? You don't think Aquaman cares about his money? Rebuild? He fired Gilli's due to missing the playoffs this year and this was the first time we did miss the playoffs under his tenure.Aquaman wants playoffs every year, he won't tolerate rebuilding ala the oilers.

Which is why it'd be easier to re build with a new GM because a new GM would actually ask the people with NTCs to waive. something that MG will not do.

I don't disagree. However It just puts limits on what can be accomplished. A new GM could put together a great package of players to be dealt for some incredible assets in return, only to have one key holdout say "no" and then it is back to square one.

It's a new core, but not an over the top Kopitar, Doughty, Quick new core. If you want a cup you need these types of superstars and Tanev isn't exactly a number 1 defenseman, Kassian and Jensen are still unproven and don't exactly have that "Crosby esque" superstar aura around them.

Wait so who on LA is "crosby esque" I would assume seeing as you mentioned those three it would have to be one of them

gillis was overly patient and lost value on his players, good gms know when some of their players are at their peak and finished and trade them off or not resign them to NTC's like Bolland etc.

Dave Bolland and Clarkson are prime examples of terrible GM'ing

Signing guys after peak years, when they have nowhere to go but down, and have no track record of delivering on the same level.

Kind of like the Garrison signing

I don't disagree. However It just puts limits on what can be accomplished. A new GM could put together a great package of players to be dealt for some incredible assets in return, only to have one key holdout say "no" and then it is back to square one.

I think NTC's should be banned,

These guys already get HUGE guaranteed money,

Letting them dictate where and when they switch teams is too much.

How sure are you that we will be rebuilding and getting rid of course players like Kessler and sedins? You don't think Aquaman cares about his money? Rebuild? He fired Gilli's due to missing the playoffs this year and this was the first time we did miss the playoffs under his tenure.Aquaman wants playoffs every year, he won't tolerate rebuilding ala the oilers.

My main point is that that is the direction were heading in.

But if you want to talk money, Aquaman has assets in his hands right now that are on the decline? What do you do with an asset that is declining? You can

1. Stay still and hope that its value gets higher

or

2. Sell it while it still has value

Option 1 is obviously not viable the core is ageing not getting better, therefore any good business man would appeal to option 2.

Its not a simple task, but what needs to be done is the transition of the Sedins to the Second line role. So a couple major moves need to occur including a signifciant UFA signing and in turn this will all help with Depth in the bottom six which gillis failed misserably at (possibly due to cap restraints). We do not need a rebiuld all we need is a new 1st line.

I think our scouting staff has to go, they stayed ever since Nonis was fired

The scouting staff are like government employees; hired for life while sitting on their asses.

These guys should be MUCH more involved in their job. Sound like a pretty cushy job if you ask me.

Good and nice persons don't win Cups.

That's why I'm worried by the Linden rumors. Sounds like another country club floater to me.

Dave Bolland and Clarkson are prime examples of terrible GM'ing

Signing guys after peak years, when they have nowhere to go but down, and have no track record of delivering on the same level.

Kind of like the Garrison signing

Um...

Bolland has two Cups.

Garrison had one good season.

I think NTC's should be banned,

These guys already get HUGE guaranteed money,

Letting them dictate where and when they switch teams is too much.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, however, since the NTC clause takes the place of money on the table, have you considered how that would affect the cap situation of any team?

You might say that having a guy who doesn't perform, and has a big contract, is also affecting a team's cap situation, and that without the NTC you could trade him to some other team thereby freeing up cap space, right? So if this same guy has an even bigger contract (because there isn't a NTC to absorb some of that cap hit) and is having a bad year, why would another team be so eager to take a risk on him?

For example, Edler has a $5 million cap hit contract, and may have gotten a substantial amount more had he been on the UFA market AND not gotten a NTC ($500,000+?). Edler has had a poor year this current season. One of the things which still makes him a desirable asset is that other teams see this season as a one off, and than Edler will return to his previous form (or continue to get better) next season.

The other thing which makes him interesting to other teams is that his cap hit is only $5 million. If he was being paid an additional $500,000, or more, then a lot of teams would have to pass on making a trade as it would screw their cap structure.

regards,

G.

If Vcr is to have Tortorella at the control and we continue with his chip and chase style and fire drill defense then there's a lot of chnages going to be needed. Start with the defense....you need a new one...then another 10 Sestitos...not easy to come by for the forward lines. This is a long term under taking and a few seasons of less than mediocre entertainment. I hope the club has a list of fans that enjoy that style because it won't take long to realize that this is going to be like a bad dream that won't end soon, the bloom will come off the rose very quickly

I think.its hard to evaluate our lineup when torts has been the coach and we have had so many injuries. Image if we were healthy and had just one good scoring winger this year. We might not be having this conversation. I believe tortsiboy is not the coach for this team.

Give us a coach that can coach this lineup, sign a vanek, and see if a couple of youngsters can make this team

So many players had off years it looks to me like something other than the players.

Archived