The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rebuild coming ahead with MG firing.

Sandro17

You are delusional if you think Aquaman will tolerate a rebuild. Firing Gillis right now is all about the bottom line and therefore I doubt he will allow a rebuild that will hurt his bottom line. Just hope some of high stature is hired that will make Aquaman think twice before he meddles again.

i don't think a rebuild is needed. a retool is

I understand that a 'retool' does not involve missing the playoffs for years. We all understand that going that route is far more fun for the fans in the short term.

It also means we turn into Phoenix , Winnipeg and Calgary. Trying to retool on the fly while still trying to keep the fanbase happy. It leads to nowhere. Never good enough, never bad enough to get a franchise pick.

A 'retool' is for a team like with stars in their prime who are not performing and need to bolster their line up to get back up to speed. San Jose was the only team I can recall that it ever worked for. Every other team that tries this slowly withers away.

We need to take our medicine and rebuild. Put in the losing years and develop our young players so we can again compete. How do you think we drafted the Sedins 2nd and 3rd overall in the first place? Tanking for years and trading Trevor Linden.

Houston, I mean Vancouver, we have a problem.

With the season coming to what seems an abrupt end, already there are rumblings around the hockey world as a great Titan in the West has finally crumbled.

Vancouver is done. For now.

All reasons for this crumbling aside, sometimes, selling can be as high as ever. This is a very important time for the Vancouver Canucks as there is an imminent reorganization top to bottom in perhaps a more conventional hockey environment. Already started with the Linden hiring, it will surely continue throughout the summer and I sure hope the plan is already as pre-written as the Linden hiring suggest.

To Gillis, thanks for the oval room. Forever the Canucks will think "outside the box".

Concerning our newly acquainted friends in the new Pacific Division,

If the three California teams have been fighting to the bone for their entire existence together in the same Pacific division,

If the three California teams are the most successful teams in the new realignment,

If Dallas, St-Louis, Colorado and Phoenix are built according to Burke's Anaheim truculence plan; now a Flames,

Then the Canucks have no choice but to emulate this type of hockey which really is in fact, good old Western hockey; big, strong, fast and durable.

The new GM will certainly have to design a Pacific Division team that can play with the best of them all. Now the Canucks have some interesting pieces that could potentially be available and others that are better kept. As a GM coming in after a player friendly person ex-player agent guy, I know I'm walking into an unmovable mess.

It's almost as if Gillis was forced to move Luongo out of town so that potential GMs wouldn't look at that contract as a first line of business upon hiring. "remove it or we'll remove you". With that, the list of GMs certainly increased.

If I'm a Canucks GM, with all available pieces, I'm targeting players built for the Western style. Lucic, Phaneuf, E. Kane, Tavares, Shea Weber, Couturier, Bjudgstad; players who are built for this stage.

With Lack in net, I'm perfectly confident. For one because I have no choice. For two, I believe in the kid and his friend.

The Canucks need a 1D, a 2C and some serious scoring help which I think Shinkaruk could be it.

The fundamentals of this team is about to change and already has with the firing of AV, the hiring of Torts, the Schneider trade, the Luongo trade, the firing of Gillis and the hiring of Linden.

That's a lot of traffic.

Lame duck GM is gone, and as Tortorella has said: "I'm always involved with the owners of the team".

Now can we have the stick and rink back Mr. President?

Bring back my nasty in our face lunch bucket Canucks.

Seriously speaking, any GM who is involved with this team has to buy into this: Aquilinis, Linden, Tortorella.

Tortorella, is NOT Gillis' guy.

Gillis, is NOT Vancouver's guy.

Let the trades begin.

If Torts goes, then I agree,

If he stays...not going to happen.

He and the Canucks were a horrible match.

Tell me you did not get entertained this season. Hell I want another season of top notch hockey entertainment.

Torts stays.

The Canucks are 2-3 trades away from being elite again.

Gillis has said anyone not named Sedin is available. Gillis is gone. Now Linden is an old boy with pride and got traded himself and it hurt a lot. So I doubt Henrik and therefore Daniel, get traded anywhere any time. They are here to stay and retire.

Kesler was already rumored to be wanting out and that started at the Olympics so who knows what happened there. I think he does have preferred destinations that would suit him and the Canucks best as trade partners and that avenue ought to be explored. Here's a guy who wants to win now and perhaps too much has occurred in Vancouver with him and would like a fresh start somewhere else. He would have the same effect as Iginla going to Boston because his list would be a list of elite if not Cup winners already.

Elder. What is wrong with this guy. Does he sleep too much? Apparently that's all he does according to a Bieksa sound bit a few years ago. Wake up guy and hit someone. Like you did Gaborik. That's an Edler hit. That's an Edler game. That's what the Canucks should be looking for in trade; a 1D. But Edler gives us flashes here and there of total dominance and then disappears for a few months. His value around the league would be extremely high if he were to be convinced that his services would be better appreciated on another team.

Bieksa. Will make numerous mistakes but has the heart of a lion and from any of this current core, is the only one that still burns bright every night. True warrior. You feel for him when he makes mistakes. He knows it. Everyone knows it. And then he goes on a great stretch were he's the heart and soul of the team. Excellent value on the market although the returns should be substantial to merit a trade. Bieksa seems to have bought into the system Tortorella wants to play.

In any case, I see 1-2 core pieces traded for high value at the draft and hopefully, a major push for either the best defenseman available in the entire draft, or a trade for one. A 1D is necessary.

The returns from a couple of trades and the promoting of some serious gems, along with a signing or two in the Statsny-type ought to be enough for this team to compete next year again.

You are delusional if you think Aquaman will tolerate a rebuild. Firing Gillis right now is all about the bottom line and therefore I doubt he will allow a rebuild that will hurt his bottom line. Just hope some of high stature is hired that will make Aquaman think twice before he meddles again.

Exactly.

I'm just worried that in fact we will not have a top notch GM until the slum-lords remove themselves from the day to day operations of the club. No self-respecting GM candidate worth his salt will work for this team knowing that Aquaman is looking over his shoulder every day.

In the meantime, we'll probably have to make due with second rate GM's and raw GM rookies, both of which would be desperate enough to get back into (or into for the first time) the business that they'd be willing to tolerate working for him under his conditions.

I'm starting to picture this looking like the Jerry Jones scenario in big D, where he is the self proclaimed best GM in all of sports and the team has a .500 record over the last 18 or so years.

Tell me you did not get entertained this season. Hell I want another season of top notch hockey entertainment.

Torts stays.

The Canucks are 2-3 trades away from being elite again.

Gillis has said anyone not named Sedin is available. Gillis is gone. Now Linden is an old boy with pride and got traded himself and it hurt a lot. So I doubt Henrik and therefore Daniel, get traded anywhere any time. They are here to stay and retire.

Kesler was already rumored to be wanting out and that started at the Olympics so who knows what happened there. I think he does have preferred destinations that would suit him and the Canucks best as trade partners and that avenue ought to be explored. Here's a guy who wants to win now and perhaps too much has occurred in Vancouver with him and would like a fresh start somewhere else. He would have the same effect as Iginla going to Boston because his list would be a list of elite if not Cup winners already.

Elder. What is wrong with this guy. Does he sleep too much? Apparently that's all he does according to a Bieksa sound bit a few years ago. Wake up guy and hit someone. Like you did Gaborik. That's an Edler hit. That's an Edler game. That's what the Canucks should be looking for in trade; a 1D. But Edler gives us flashes here and there of total dominance and then disappears for a few months. His value around the league would be extremely high if he were to be convinced that his services would be better appreciated on another team.

Bieksa. Will make numerous mistakes but has the heart of a lion and from any of this current core, is the only one that still burns bright every night. True warrior. You feel for him when he makes mistakes. He knows it. Everyone knows it. And then he goes on a great stretch were he's the heart and soul of the team. Excellent value on the market although the returns should be substantial to merit a trade. Bieksa seems to have bought into the system Tortorella wants to play.

In any case, I see 1-2 core pieces traded for high value at the draft and hopefully, a major push for either the best defenseman available in the entire draft, or a trade for one. A 1D is necessary.

The returns from a couple of trades and the promoting of some serious gems, along with a signing or two in the Statsny-type ought to be enough for this team to compete next year again.

I wasn't entertained by the Canucks play this year at all. It's been the most bored I've been as a fan of this club in quite some time.

I also doubt we're 2-3 trades from being elite especially against established teams of Anaheim, San Jose and LA who have quite frankly embarrassed us contest after contest.

Nothing is going to make us instant contenders overnight. Dark days are ahead and I'm thinking it'll be the better part of a decade before the Canucks are competitive again. I figure the Aquilini's will stick it out 2-3 more years before they bail.

Unfortunately it's the poor hardworking scalpers who suffer the most, lol!

If we can luck out and win the draft lottery, and get Ekblad, there's the bonafide #1 dman we've been looking for.

If we can luck out next season and draft McDavid. There's a generational talented forward the Canucks need.

Come on hockey gods we need a break.

(I'm quoting that from the Hockey News by the Carolina beat writer, when he said that the team won the cup that same year...)

Danny and Hank are here or MODO. Thats the reality.

Im sure new management will talk to every player with a NTC and ask for a trade list to be submitted. If no listy, then no tradey.

THeres a lot that has to happen before executing trades and signings. Complete and full assessment of entire orgnization. Firstly the GM (if thats not dealt with today), then the coach, then the players, then the draft and deal shopping, then UFAs... RFAs... I actually expect less to happen than I did before Gillis got canned.

The exception being a potential Kesler deal.

If we can luck out and win the draft lottery, and get Ekblad, there's the bonafide #1 dman we've been looking for.

If we can luck out next season and draft McDavid. There's a generational talented forward the Canucks need.

Come on hockey gods we need a break.

(I'm quoting that from the Hockey News by the Carolina beat writer, when he said that the team won the cup that same year...)

The hockey gods did give the Canucks a break recently...it was called the 2010-11 season...

The hockey gods did give the Canucks a break recently...it was called the 2010-11 season...

Also called, by Gillis, as "his plan", the career years of many. The stars aligned and he took credit for it. Calling it a plan though... sure thing, MG.

Much like Burke with Naslund/Bert... because a good GM would have know Bert would 'roid his way to 46 goals to go along with Naslund's, and that later, Biter-man would score 30+ with the Hart twins. Masterminds.

Archived