The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] President Trevor Linden

Strombone1

I find it hilarious that little crybabies like you and old news take shots at the Vancouver sports writers that actually ask the TOUGH questions that most others are afraid to ask. This city and team NEEDS those kinds of writers and radio hosts, its called journalism not team promotion.

And then of course you mention Shorty, Cheech and Murph (lets thrown in Valk) as the media you trust. Are you kidding me?!!? The 4 BIGGEST Canuck fanboys who do nothing but kiss the ass of this team on EVERY broadcast are the ones you trust.

Is there any reason that you can't listen to all sides and realize that the Botch's and Willes' etc asking the tough and sometimes "dramatic" questions are needed to counteract the fluff that the "Two-Johns" etc throw in our faces 65 nights a year..?

Enough with the insults...last friendly warning before official ones will be doled out.

There is a time and place for "tough questions". When a new President is being signed in you can't expect him to have the answers readily available that same day. These reporters know the drill, yet some of them go beyond that.

Let's address one of them...my old favourite and I won't name names. Showed up in Bertuzzi's front yard during that period. Actually stood on the grass in front of his house with his wife inside.

Same guy was reportedly there as Linden entered the building, forcing an earlier announcement than planned. Some of them ARE doing their job and some are vultures who cross the boundaries of ethics and patience.

It's like a feeding frenzy at times and these guys are there to report on things, not force them or drag them out of people.

I find it hilarious that little crybabies like you and old news take shots at the Vancouver sports writers that actually ask the TOUGH questions that most others are afraid to ask. This city and team NEEDS those kinds of writers and radio hosts, its called journalism not team promotion.

And then of course you mention Shorty, Cheech and Murph (lets thrown in Valk) as the media you trust. Are you kidding me?!!? The 4 BIGGEST Canuck fanboys who do nothing but kiss the ass of this team on EVERY broadcast are the ones you trust.

Is there any reason that you can't listen to all sides and realize that the Botch's and Willes' etc asking the tough and sometimes "dramatic" questions are needed to counteract the fluff that the "Two-Johns" etc throw in our faces 65 nights a year..?

Jeez, I haven't even seen any of this so-called 'media toughness' during this season of despair. Just more cowering away and whining in the paper/on the radio as opposed to actually getting in their face about it.

That being said, these guys have performed the same act during even the good years here, so it kinda falls on deaf ears now.

I heard on good authority today via a text that people who know him in the business world do not look on him as a particuarily smart or sophisticated man. They see him more as a charismatic guy who is good at shaking hands and wooing clients. Potentially that could be very good for this team but if he is in fact meant to be the brainchild of this hockey team that makes me nervous, especially with NO experience running a team.

If people here choose not to believe this (99% won't I'm sure) then that's there perogative. I trust the source I heard it from and will stand by what I said earlier. This is not me trying to play NHL insider. This is not me trying to troll CDC. It's just me relaying my opinion based on my own observation of what I saw today in the presser plus (more importantly) the observation of others who know him personally in the business world.

Even without hearing about what I did I wasn't blown away by Linden, not to mention very unimpressed with Aquilini when they were speaking at the presser. What they were saying seemed like a lot of hot air. Linden has never been in the front office of an NHL team so I'm surprised he recieved such a high role. If he is meant to be a puppet that doesn't really concern me. This move reeks of PR but listening to FAq and Trevor speak I dont know what to believe.

And if through his connections and network he can bring in (or retain) a top flight assistant GM who has paid his dues and learned the ropes on a top notch staff I will be happy. As for the timing of the GM hire, people can talk about how we have a scouting team/ other personel still in place but ultimately the pick falls on the shoulders of the GM. When MG first came in CoHo was the first stamp he put on the team and one of the few significant moves that marked his legacy with us. I think the more time a GM has to get familiarized with the big board as well as our expendable assets the better off he will be starting his tenure here.

I love this team and I hope everything works out. I believe the team as it is now could come back strong next season with a good signing or two and a blue chip prospect in the jrs. I just really hope that our owner doesn't drive this team into the ground by hiring an inept president as a PR stunt. And I hope to God that they hire a good GM.

I can't say I care too much about un-named, un-cited sources who you say claim they don't see Linden as particularly smart or sophistocated.

That's an opinion I don't share, but appreciate that you attempted to moderate calling the guy a "bozo" straight off, although in the end, pretty much circled back.

I'm not sure what you were expecting from Linden yesterday. I wasn't really impressed with Francesco Aquilini either but at the same time, I think there was a clear gameplan there to respond to most questions with a vote of confidence in TL, as in "what Trevor said", 'he's going to be making all the decisions', etc. I take that with a grain of salt to be an attempt to clear any perceptions that he was 'meddling' too thoroughly in the GM decision-making process, which is probably a welcome development with most fans. Like Linden's denial the day previous that he was taking the position, I read FA's statement that 'Gillis hired Tortorella but that's something I have to take responsibility for' to be perhaps not entirely forthright, but an attempt to rescue the situation somewhat by running against the grain of perception and handing it all over to Trevor Linden.

In any event, what there is there is a pretty clear and publicly stated trust in Linden and an unambiguous commitment to letting him do his job.

Is Trevor Linden now expected to fulfill all the competencies that Mike Gillis did straight out of the gate? For starters, they are diviiding the duties. In addition, Linden already has Gilman and a working structure that need not be overhauled overnight. He is also quite clearly stating that he intends to surround himself with good people - something he is pretty much already blessed with. Quinn for starters will be honored right from the get-go. Stan Smyl is already a key player in the organization. All kinds of reputable hockey people regard Linden's character very highly and I highly doubt he will have any difficulty whatsoever attracting the kinds of people he seeks to work with.

Trevor Linden does not need to be the be all and end all of the Vancouver Canucks. All he needs to do is work to his strengths and let the people around him work to theirs.

The fact that you run with this as some kind of alarm the Aquilini hired an "inept" man as a stunt imo is just a regression to your original denigration that he's a "bozo" - something I can't take on your authority with all due respect.

I am certainly not a soft sell where firing Gillis is concerned. His recent work as far as I'm concerned was moving in the right direction - his acquisitions in the context of cap drop this past year of Santorelli, Richardson, Stanton were highly successful, he managed to move the unmoveable for imo a very good return. Despite this season and the highly likely impending firing of Tortorella which imo is the crux of the decision to fire him (and how the dynamics of that conflict originated, developed and concluded is not that clear) the team has a lot to work with in terms of quality roster players, a much improved youth/prospects pool, and cap flexibility for a change having worked back under the drop and are now positioned to add in free agency.

To have fired Gillis and then not named the direction they were headed would have let the thing snowball further into speculation that the team was going in a direction defined by Tortorella and possibly seeking a compatible Pres/GM - the Feaster rumours etc were reason enough to act swiftly imo. I look at this decision as less knee jerk and better formulated than it could have been. My impression from Linden's statements is pretty much the opposite of your 'inept bozo' perceptions- I think he'll not only handle the leadership role well, but also retain the Canucks identity and manage to attract some highly competent people to work with.

Jeez, I haven't even seen any of this so-called 'media toughness' during this season of despair. Just more cowering away and whining in the paper/on the radio as opposed to actually getting in their face about it.

That being said, these guys have performed the same act during even the good years here, so it kinda falls on deaf ears now.

No kidding. To ask "tough questions" requires working harder intellectually than the easy controversy peddling of the Province.

The ironing here is that illuminati is their biggest apologist on these boards.

How dare people here turn their criticism back on them? Who is it that can't take the tough questions?

How dare we fans talk back to these "authorities"....pfffft.

Tougher questions are asked by people with critical or oppositional positions on the other side of these debates on these boards.

One of the things that I hope changes with this change in leadership is our interest in Russian players.

Our last Russian player in the org was Shirokov & he was acquired by Nonis. Gillis didn't bring in any Russians as far as I know/can recall. And I think (especially in the draft) we've missed out on some good players because of it.

One of the things that I hope changes with this change in leadership is our interest in Russian players.

Our last Russian player in the org was Shirokov & he was acquired by Nonis. Gillis didn't bring in any Russians as far as I know/can recall. And I think (especially in the draft) we've missed out on some good players because of it.

Linden/Bure feud says no. But who knows...

Our history with drafting Russian players since Bure hasn't been great though.

Koltsov, Grot, Fedorov, Kablukov, and even Shirokov didn't pan out. Chubarov, who I liked, also burned us.

If you mean that we should hire a good Russian scout then I'd agree but until we have confidence there then it'll be too big if a gamble unless a player falls into our lap.

But traditionally we haven't done well from Russia in the last 15 years even when we did take chances.

Koltsov, Grot, Fedorov, Kablukov, and even Shirokov didn't pan out. Chubarov, who I liked, also burned us.

If you mean that we should hire a good Russian scout them is agree but until we have confidence there then it'll be too big if a gamble unless a player falls into our lap.

But traditionally we haven't done well from Russia in the last 15 years even when we did take chances.

Yeah sorry if you've got a Swede, Fin, N.A. etc player anywhere close to the same talent level at the spot your picking and there's also a Russian...you don't pick the Russian.

The only way you do is either on a high "sure thing" first rounder who's CLEARLY a better player or maybe in a later round where it's a crap shoot anyway. Even then, again you pick a comparable player from elsewhere. Just too risky to waste picks on a guy that may bolt to the K at any moment.

Yeah sorry if you've got a Swede, Fin, N.A. etc player anywhere close to the same talent level at the spot your picking and there's also a Russian...you don't pick the Russian.

The only way you do is either on a high "sure thing" first rounder who's CLEARLY a better player or maybe in a later round where it's a crap shoot anyway. Even then, again you pick a comparable player from elsewhere. Just too risky to waste picks on a guy that may bolt to the K at any moment.

That was the prevailing wisdom when we got Bure though. As a result of this thinking, which is common, there are deals to be had

If you mean that we should hire a good Russian scout then I'd agree but until we have confidence there then it'll be too big if a gamble unless a player falls into our lap.

I think times have changed. The Russian factor to me is becoming less, its always there but alot of young players want to come here & play now.

I mean looking over the last few drafts, Nichushkin was right there & was the guy I wanted really badly (even before we made the trade) though I am extremely happy with Horvat.

We have missed some other good Russian players though like Kuznetsov, Kucherov, Orlov, exc. And even free agency, Alex Semin probably would have really added an offensive boost to the team but I doubt that reaching out and exploring that possibility was ever even considered.

You bring up that our Russian draft history hasn't been great, but the majority of players you draft are unlikely to be impact players no matter which nationality they are, imagine the ratio of Canadian draft picks that have worked out for us vs those that havent.

I just think we had a mentality of no russians, and that really bringing in some russian's here or there if its appropriate could be beneficial rather than just looking straight past them cause of nationality.

Loved the Sportsnet panel's shot of Linden in the executive box talking to Laurence Gillman. He looks great! So classy and austere. MG used to look a little bored and almost stale. Linden brings with him a sense of optimism and youthful energy - something we need in this organization both on and off the ice

Loved the Sportsnet panel's shot of Linden in the executive box talking to Laurence Gillman. He looks great! So classy and austere. MG used to look a little bored and almost stale. Linden brings with him a sense of optimism and youthful energy - something we need in this organization both on and off the ice

That shot of him in the pressbox after the scoreboard intro brought a huge smile to my face. Trevor's the personification of "forever a Canuck".

Archived