The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

I chose not to make a new thread over it but thought that some people might be interested since players like Bieksa, Burrows, Hansen, and other core players still with this team may be happy to have a new GM who isn't going to tell them when to go to bed.

Rupert, please do not assume what I am thinking. My happiness has nothing to do with trashing members of the Canucks organization. In fact I just posted about how people shouldn't be trashing AV. It was interesting information related to one Canucks' experience with the policies of a former GM. Give me a break.

I saw that actually, but unfortunately after I had made the post above. I apologize for lumping you in with the people I was describing.

I think that we can agree that there certainly are people here who do exactly that.

I saw that actually, but unfortunately after I had made the post above. I apologize for lumping you in with the people I was describing.

I think that we can agree that there certainly are people here who do exactly that.

No problem at all and I am 100% in agreement. Gillis had some terrific qualities, probably one of the more analytical GMs in the league.

No problem at all and I am 100% in agreement. Gillis had some terrific qualities, probably one of the more analytical GMs in the league.

I agree. He certainly made his share of mistakes, but I think the criticism we see on this board is a tad overblown.

It was kind of funny reading about Mitchell's "solution" to the sleep monitor. I doubt that you'd find very many adults who appreciate being told that it's bedtime. However, it's hard to argue with the results.

It actually reminds me of a favorite story: Back in the 90's, the Devils were on a charter back to New Jersey after a disappointing loss. Upset at his team's performance, Jacques Lemaire decreed that there would be no beer served on the flight home.

When he heard about this, Esa Tikkanen reportedly said "What! I've got five Stanley Cups! Who's going to tell me I can't have a beer!"...

To which, one of the Devils' vets replied: "The guy who has ten Cups"...

I agree. He certainly made his share of mistakes, but I think the criticism we see on this board is a tad overblown.

It was kind of funny reading about Mitchell's "solution" to the sleep monitor. I doubt that you'd find very many adults who appreciate being told that it's bedtime. However, it's hard to argue with the results.

It actually reminds me of a favorite story: Back in the 90's, the Devils were on a charter back to New Jersey after a disappointing loss. Upset at his team's performance, Jacques Lemaire decreed that there would be no beer served on the flight home.

When he heard about this, Esa Tikkanen reportedly said "What! I've got five Stanley Cups! Who's going to tell me I can't have a beer!"...

Good one .. reflects the 'Old Boys Club' mentality in the NHL. .. :)

I remember that one. Yep. Probably the first time the Tick was speechless.

Some people aren't happy unless they're slagging former members of the Canucks' organization.

If this were a coaching thread, we'd be seeing garbage comments on how AV is the reason for the Rags being down 3-0 and if it we're about players, some idiot would have mentioned Mason Raymond falling down a lot...

what's wrong with talking crap about competitors, it's a sport after all. Better than the other half of the fan base that falls in love with the former Canuck Only when they are gone. Then turns around and whines about their own team.

Ha! Not easy to shut Tikanen up.

what's wrong with talking crap about competitors, it's a sport after all. Better than the other half of the fan base that falls in love with the former Canuck Only when they are gone. Then turns around and whines about their own team.

Talking crap is only fine when it has merit. Most of the criticism is never backed up.

Loved Mitchell's story. Willie cannot win enough CUPs IMO.

Tikkanen was a classic character. My son's bantam team was in Van for Provincials and Rick Ley got us

into a Canuck practice. All the boys are sitting in the stands at the blue line. Tikkanen fired 3 wristers from the blue line and put all 3 off the cross bar! Before each shot he looked at the kids and smiled only the way he could smile! All the way back to the hotel all our kids could do is debate

whether he did that on purpose or not.

Rick Ley was nice enough to let the kids into that practice but I was disappointed that not many Canucks went out of their way to acknowledge the kids. Tikkanen, Tim Hunter and Corey Hirsh were outstanding.

Despite the fact that he was a 1994 Ranger, Tick was one of the guys who embraced being a Canuck as well during his short time here. I choose to overlook the 62 games in 1996-97 before he got traded to the Rangers. Part of that problem I think was Tom Renney.

Despite the fact that he was a 1994 Ranger, Tick was one of the guys who embraced being a Canuck as well during his short time here. I choose to overlook the 62 games in 1996-97 before he got traded to the Rangers. Part of that problem I think was Tom Renney.

As always, there are two sides to every story. This is from lcshockey.com and is closer to how I remember it:

After dressing for just nine games with the Devils, Tikkanen was on his way to Vancouver for a second-round draft choice.

The problems started immediately. First, it was rumored that Tikkanen wouldn't report. Then, he wanted his contract renegotiated. When he finally did get to Vancouver, he failed his team medical, thanks to years of damage to his knees. After a great deal of testing, rehab, and checking past medical records, Tikkanen finally joined the team more than a month later, announcing "Moses is here". The Canucks' fortunes did improve when Tikkanen first took to the ice, and he was his usual formidable shadow' self against Peter Forsberg in the playoffs. But the situation turned really ugly this year at training camp, thanks to an early clash with rookie coach Tom Renney over the coach's banning of beer on post-game charters. "I'll get a doctor's note," quipped Tikk with his usual lack of respect for authority. Renney was not amused.

When Tikkanen joined the club last season, Vancouver was believed to be a good team with a missing superstar going through a period of mediocrity. With the addition of Renney and the return of Pavel Bure, the team's fortunes did not improve. For an aging player looking to win one last Stanley Cup, this did not sit well with Tikkanen. He stayed focused on winning, but pretty much decided that Renney's methods weren't going to make it happen. It was not unusual, during games, to see one group of players huddled around Renney, listening to his instructions, while Tikkanen was frantically talking and gesturing to the rest of the team, explaining his ideas. While it may be true that Tikkanen is gradually losing his physical abilities, there's no doubt that he has an outstanding grasp of the mental side of the game.

Tikkanen's situation with the Canucks began to come to a head a couple of months ago. Unhappy with the team's direction and looking for a great new contract to start his free-agent years, Tikkanen and his agent Rich Winter went public with the rather acrimonious state of their negotiations to date. They said that, if the Canucks did not make improvements and had no intention of keeping Tikkanen beyond the end of the season, as their contract offers had indicated, that they would prefer to see the player traded. Tikkanen even threatened to withdraw his services until a deal was made, although he did stay with the team until the bitter end and even scored in his last game with a skate on his chest.

Despite Tikk's value as a hockey player, by this point it was clear that Pat Quinn would probably be better off dealing the player out of the Vancouver dressing room.

Yes they have aged.

But they also were asked to change their role and play two way minutes. Part by coaching (Torts) philosophy. "Your best players should play against best competition." And part due to degradation of depth players being available to handle that side of hockey for us. It took them away from "sheltered" offensive minutes where they piled up points in the past. It also added significant wear to their bodies. They were constantly playing injured this year.

Same with Edler. For most of the year he played the toughest defensive minutes and the highest quality opposition. Why? Who knows. Most if not all Canuck fans know he's not our best defensive D. Nor did he play on the first PP a lot of the year. He's a formal all star doing just that. He owns 95% of Garrison's shot with more accuracy and he is waaaay better at handling the puck. He should run the power play!

The Twins and Edler will do much better when slotted back into roles that make sense for them.

I agree that Edler will do well when he is not asked to play against good players. As for the Sedins, they are on the decline and yes they may do better but only if the new coach manages to keep them away from the other teams' best players.I fwe 'shelter' them like you say, yes they will do better. As for playing constantly injured, well that comes with age, not much can be done about that, the same applies to Kesler.

Found this on HF boards, just gonna throw it in here. Read from bottom and go up.

Nav097 @Nav097 · 1m

Quote:
#CanucksTownHallRichmond Just my opinion based on tonight: Coach - WillieD Kesler - Gone Draft - A forward (unlikley to get 1st overall)

Nav097 @Nav097 · 3m

Quote:
#CanucksTownHallRichmond (2/2) ... Linden pointed out Burrows, Hansen, Edler specifically.

Nav097 @Nav097 · 10s

Quote:
#CanucksTownHallRichmond (1/2) When discussing players who had terrible/unlucky years last year...

Nav097 @Nav097 · 1m

Quote:
#CanucksTownHallRichmond (2/2) ... JB seemed interested in the result of that game. #JustSayin #WillieDComeOnDown #TWSS #sorrynotsorry

Nav097 @Nav097 · 2m

Quote:
#CanucksTownHallRichmond (1/2) During a brief discussion w/ JB during intros, I mentioned Desjardins's team ended up in OT...

Nav097 @Nav097 · 4m

Quote:
#CanucksTownHallRichmond When asked to provide a top 5 or top 10 list of coaching candidates, Benning wouldn't mind.

Nav097 @Nav097 · 8m

Quote:
#CanucksTownHallRichmond Re: Lu-Schneidz, Benning indirectly had a "no comment" & Linden joked "the past is the past, we'll look forward"

Nav097 @Nav097 · 10m

Quote:
#CanucksTownHallRichmond Benning living in Olympic Village, family should be in town on Wednesday, isn't stressed at all about the position

Nav097 @Nav097 · 11m

Quote:
#CanucksTownHallRichmond Linden explained when asked about needing a new Captain that Hank is the Captain and he's the definition of leader

Nav097 @Nav097 · 13m

Quote:
#CanucksTownHallRichmond Buyouts were not questioned... unfortunately too many people wasted time whining about prices of shirts and food

Nav097 @Nav097 · 17m

Quote:
#CanucksTownHallRichmond VDB re: Beer Prices continually going up 50 cents/yr - "The prices will definitely "change" this year" #UpOrDown?

Nav097 @Nav097 · 18m

Quote:
#CanucksTownHallRichmond Benning talked to Tallon re: 1st overall pick. Expects Tallon to decide what to do w/ pick night b4 draft

Nav097 @Nav097 · 21m

Quote:
#CanucksTownHallRichmond Q: Will prices of t-shirts go down? A via VDB: (paraphrased)... blah blah, spectrum of prices, it all depends

Nav097 @Nav097 · 1h

Quote:
Linden re: Kesler - We think things will work out for "us". - IMO, sounds like he's getting dealt soon. #CanucksTownHallRichmond

Nav097 @Nav097 · 1h

Quote:
Benning: We will take forwards with our first two round picks. #CanucksTownHallRichmond @blakeprice1040 @BradZiemer @RJHenderson7

Nav097 @Nav097 · 2h

Quote:
De Bonis: Certain home weekday games will likely begin at 6PM to ensure kids can attend games on school nights. #CanucksTownHallRichmond

Nav097 @Nav097 · 2h

Quote:

Benning confirms he has had talks with Tallon about the 1st overall pick. Expects Tallon to make decision night before draft. #Canucks

Archived