The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Malone Arrested for DUI and Cocaine possession

Vrienzy

Are you saying it is okay to drink and drive?

No.

But do you carry around a personal breath tester and test yourself after having a 2 or 3 drinks at the local sports bar ?

I don't

Everyone has a rough idea and drives accordingly.

I lost a friend to a sober driver. Do I hold it against this guy ? No. This is life. Accidents happen. You can try all you want to legislate away accidents but guess what , they keep happening !

Have you traveled around the world ? Away from these western nanny states ? I have. Jamaica or Cambodia doesn't enforce any of these laws. They have accidents just like we do. Sometimes more, sometimes less. But don't kid yourself. All of this legislation and state control has less effect then you think it does.

I'm 200 lbs 6'0" and if I pound 8 Alexander Keiths in under an hour I blow .06 on an Intoxilyzer 5000 (machine the police use, not some stupid plastic thing you bought at the dollar store). I wouldn't pass a field sobriety test, my words are slurred, and my judgement has been affected.

But that's me.

If you are a professional athlete with a significantly higher metabolism and you blow .112 then you are hammered and you are fully aware that you have no business being behind a wheel.

It has not been verified that it was .12 or .012.

By the way, it is .05 bac in Ireland

In most countries with laws concerning drunk driving, the standard is set by a person’s blood alcohol content (also called blood alcohol concentration). This corresponds to the percentage of alcohol in a person’s blood. Numerous headlines have been claiming that County Kerry "legalized drunk driving," when in fact, the legal limit proposed is lower than the BAC standard in the U.S. The Kerry proposal would allow certain residents to apply for permits that allow them to drive on rural roads with a BAC of up to .07, as opposed to Ireland's current standard of .05, according to the car news site LeftLane. As of July 2004, all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia have criminalized driving with a BAC above .08 percent

http://www.ibtimes.com/irish-town-legalized-drunk-driving-still-has-stricter-blood-alcohol-limits-us-1149933

No 0.12 is more like 10+ beers over the course of a couple of hours...

Average metabolic rate of alcohol is .015 - .02 per hour . a single drink can be .01-.04 depending on the size /gender etc of the person. and a .12 over a few ours is the same rate of intoxication as .12 doing a few shots one after the other.

or waking up from a crazy night and your still drunk .

if it was .012 they would have let him drive home, .012 = approx 1 beer a half hour after consumption.

If it was .12 then he would have been arrested. .12 = approx 4-5 drinks consumed within an hour

Yes it has. Check the thread and every article about it. It was .112-.116.

Don't defend his actions. It was an ass move. He's lucky he didn't kill some one.

There is zero excuse for driving over the limit and an adult should be wise enough to not even get close to that. Only an arrogant moron like Malone could think he's above the law in this case. It shows a complete lack of respect for other members of society.

By the way, it is .05 bac in Ireland

In most countries with laws concerning drunk driving, the standard is set by a person’s blood alcohol content (also called blood alcohol concentration). This corresponds to the percentage of alcohol in a person’s blood. Numerous headlines have been claiming that County Kerry "legalized drunk driving," when in fact, the legal limit proposed is lower than the BAC standard in the U.S. The Kerry proposal would allow certain residents to apply for permits that allow them to drive on rural roads with a BAC of up to .07, as opposed to Ireland's current standard of .05, according to the car news site LeftLane. As of July 2004, all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia have criminalized driving with a BAC above .08 percent

http://www.ibtimes.com/irish-town-legalized-drunk-driving-still-has-stricter-blood-alcohol-limits-us-1149933

They watered the language down after the headlines went across the world. But when you are there, its is understood that you can drive pretty drunk on rural roads , without the cops pulling you over.

No.

But do you carry around a personal breath tester and test yourself after having a 2 or 3 drinks at the local sports bar ?

I don't

I lost a friend to a sober driver. Do I hold it against this guy ? No. This is life. Accidents happen. You can try all you want to legislate away accidents but guess what , they keep happening !

Have you traveled around the world ? Away from these western nanny states ? I have. Jamaica or Cambodia doesn't enforce any of these laws. They have accidents just like we do. Sometimes more, sometimes less. But don't kid yourself. All of this legislation and state control has less effect then you think it does.

2-3 drinks at a sports bar is not in the same ballpark as .112 (unless we're talking about hemophiliac dwarves pounding absinthe, which we are clearly not).

Here's some stats that refute your Jamaica claim (page 2) - they have significantly higher alcohol related traffic fatalities:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fccsenet.org%2Fjournal%2Findex.php%2Fass%2Farticle%2Fdownload%2F953%2F922&ei=FohJU-i1Bu_wyAHwmYHwCA&usg=AFQjCNGZAS44LGqQNsSqM1qwKdM8ML6neQ&sig2=8LgBlAOHW2g_pRHLcyheyw&bvm=bv.64542518,d.aWc

You're correct you can never legislate away all accidents, but you most certainly can reduce their number and impact. See the same article, or numerous others for irrefutable proof of the same.

Exactly.

In Ireland, 0.12 is a pass. And that's not a joke. But its a sensational headline and red meat to people on their hypocritical high horse.

Not a joke, just a lie.

The existing limits are:
  • 80 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood (0.08)

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/Drink-Driving/Drink-Driving-Limits-and-Recommendations-/

And regarding your claim that it is allowed in rural areas, it certainly is not allowed to the extent you claim (.12). They allow 2-3 drinks. That's not .12, unless you're a 90 pound girl.

if it was .012 they would have let him drive home, .012 = approx 1 beer a half hour after consumption.

If it was .12 then he would have been arrested. .12 = approx 4-5 drinks consumed within an hour

By your calculations, he could have had 4 drinks in an hour. Thats almost within the window of reasoning.

2-3 drinks at a sports bar is not in the same ballpark as .112 (unless we're talking about hemophiliac dwarves pounding absinthe, which we are clearly not).

Here's some stats that refute your Jamaica claim (page 2) - they have significantly higher alcohol related traffic fatalities:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fccsenet.org%2Fjournal%2Findex.php%2Fass%2Farticle%2Fdownload%2F953%2F922&ei=FohJU-i1Bu_wyAHwmYHwCA&usg=AFQjCNGZAS44LGqQNsSqM1qwKdM8ML6neQ&sig2=8LgBlAOHW2g_pRHLcyheyw&bvm=bv.64542518,d.aWc

You're correct you can never legislate away all accidents, but you most certainly can reduce their number and impact. See the same article, or numerous others for irrefutable proof of the same.

Jamaica is a tropical country. Waaay more motorcycle traffic , year around.

No.

I don't

the legality of it is irrelevant. driving while intoxicated by any substance is indefensible, and decent human beings with a properly calibrated sense of right and wrong simply don't do it.

I didn't mean "da hood" street smarts. I mean just common sense. There is 3 groups of people.

There is the straight and narrow kind of ppl. They rarely drink and don't do any drugs. (because they see people screwing their lives up with drugs)

Then there is the weekenders. They realize over time that there is a responsible way of drinking and sometimes doing drugs. It dawns on them that the people who get screwed up on things, are extremely wreckless and irresponsible.

Then there is the idiots, the wreckless and addicts.

This is what we see on this thread. There is some straight and narrow people who think that all of the below are idiots. They also seem to think that its sad because they assume that Malone is already a down and out addict. (When they themselves, just by virtue of taking this stance , are probably responsible enough to be able to do drugs without getting into problems. )

Then there is the weekenders who are just kinda like "well, not a big surprise, lapse in judgement on Malones part"

This happened in Florida on a Friday night. He doesn't look that out of it in his mug shot. Apparently he isn't married. He's not old. He didn't blow way over. He's a weekender and I don't think he deserves to be thrown under the bus, nor should he get any pity.

Here's the problem with this and, believe me, without going into too many details I have plenty of experience in this. Both by way of working in an alcohol/drug outpatient service and in having 4 full blown addicts in the family and a marriage that fell apart mostly due to cocaine and alcohol use/abuse.

What you're missing is that some of those weekenders WILL go on to exhibit dependency issues and their lives will be ruined as a result. It only seems harmless on the surface and some, like myself, will party when they're young and then move on and leave it behind. Some others can't - it's in their genes and make up (mostly) so that weekending thing will turn into something different. But it isn't realized at the time...it takes awhile to reveal itself as something more than a harmless bit of fun.

And one of the first signs?....is if your use of alcohol and drugs creates problems in your life. Causes you to use bad judgement but you continue to use/do it.

Does this mean he's an addict? Absolutely not. But it means he should learn from this and it should likely change some behaviour, if at least in making better decisions.

When you bump a curb, it means you're likely not fit to drive. Everyone who does coke thinks they're invincible and "good to go"....but, when mixed with alcohol, a self assessment isn't always accurate.

Young people party...it's not a big deal although cocaine is. I would be a wealthy woman if my ex hadn't burned through every thing we worked hard for (much of which I brought into the relationship). Now I struggle as a single Mom, so no one needs to pretty up what recreational cocaine use is all about. When you wake up and your nose won't stop bleeding after the party, that ain't so pretty.

By your calculations, he could have had 4 drinks in an hour. Thats almost within the window of reasoning.

yes very possible but unlikely esp at 3AM but something like having 6-7 beers over a couple hours then a shot or two a half hour before he left would also result in around the same level.

If you have a smart phone there is an app called alcodroid it is not crazy accurate but can give you a general idea of your BAC levels after a drink or ten.

yes very possible but unlikely esp at 3AM but something like having 6-7 beers over a couple hours then a shot or two a half hour before he left would also result in around the same level.

Also, he's an adult male and a pro athlete - he's much more likely at the .01 end of the spectrum than the .04 end.

i know plenty of people and i am sure people on here too that think oh a couple drinks and i am ok to drive and it seems to be quite acceptable because he it's only a few drinks bs excuse that a lot of people use they are just as bad as the hammered people driving doesn't matter if it's 1 drink or 10 drinks you still impair your judgement and that's the real problem when society has deemed it acceptable to drive on a couple of drinks but as soon as your hammered then all of a sudden it's a big deal

Archived