The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolaj Ehlers

S N Y P E R S 7

I don't even know why this is a discussion. Kid aint a Benning type of player.

Here are Benning's 1st round picks while head of amateur scouting in Buffalo. I think this is a better indication of HIS type of player rather than his time in Boston, as that was an assistant GM position, not a full time scout. I might be wrong about that, but who knows.

1998 Entry 18 1 Dmitri Kalinin D Traktor Chelyabinsk (Russia) Kalinin is a big physical Russian defenseman. 6'3" 216

1999 Entry 20 1 Barrett Heisten L U. of Maine [H-East] Heisten busted (10 NHL games). 6'2" 207lbs

2000 Entry 15 1 Artem Kryukov F Yaroslavl Torpedo [Russia] Kryukov busted (career high 17pts in KHL). 6' 198lbs

2001 Entry 22 1 Jiri Novotny C Ceske Budejovice HC [Czech] Novotny played parts of 5 NHL seasons, for a 1st rnd pick he was a bust. 6'1" 192lbs

2002 Entry 11 1 Keith Ballard D U. of Minnesota [WCHA] Ballard was decent until he came to Vancouver. 5'11" 200lbs

2003 Entry 5 1 Thomas Vanek R U. of Minnesota [WCHA] Vanek is very skilled, but streaky. 6'2" 216lbs

2004 Entry 13 1 Drew Stafford R U. of North Dakota [WCHA] Stafford has put up some decent point totals in the past. 6'2" 216

I don't a see a huge pattern other than the players seem to be bigger guys. Benning has stated that he wants to take the BPA, but that's open to interpretation.

Archived