The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Heat getting the heck out of dodge.

avelanch

Look at this image and tell me that moving our farm team to the Fraser valley makes sense for the development of our prospects.AHL-League-Map.jpg

It might make sense for fans, and possibly even for FA but moving the "comets" (or whatever they'd be called) would be terrible for player development. Having them close to Vancouver would increase the spotlight on them, and this fan-base clamoring for success would pick over everything the AHL players do. Also, see map, the closest team to the Heat right now is in, you guessed it, Iowa! This would mean more red-eye flights, and less practice time for our "future Canucks" Is this what we want?

I say leave them in Utica, let them develop outside the spotlight, and use their time for practice/development not travel.

I haven't read the rest of the threat so this may have been covered by another poster, but wouldn't the pospects benefit from a bad (even worse than the canucks) travel grid than better? They're going to deal with it to a lesser degree as Canucks, so we might as well find out who can handle it before the big leagues, right?

I haven't read the rest of the threat so this may have been covered by another poster, but wouldn't the pospects benefit from a bad (even worse than the canucks) travel grid than better? They're going to deal with it to a lesser degree as Canucks, so we might as well find out who can handle it before the big leagues, right?

There's pros and cons both ways. More travel means more wear and tear on the players over a season and allows them less time to practice than if they played in a state with multiple teams within driving distance. On the other hand, being so close to the Canucks would allow for more attention from the skill coaches and the player development team could really evaluate talent and better work with them on a game plan to improve.

Some players might benefit from one more than the other, but it's hard to say what's the best for the team as a whole. I know what I'd prefer from a selfish standpoint of being able to watch them, but I'm sure management will make an informed decision on what's best for the players and their development.

As an Abbotsford resident, when they first arrived I went to about 6 games in each of the first 3 years. Last year I went to 1 and this year 0. I think the low attendance has a lot to do with all the negative publicity. Our property taxes are being funnelled to pay for this poorly managed team because of an illegal deal signed by a mayor who lost his job for signing the deal.

I don't think another team is coming to the arena as it was reported this morning that Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre has changed it's name to Abbotsford Entertainment Centre

I always loathed the Heat slogan, "Our town, Our team" It was up on all the street lamps on the main roads. Abbotsford is not a town, it's a city. The largest "town" in BC has 13,000 people whereas we have 130,000.

Also, getting calls upon calls from Abbotsford Heat staff trying to sell tickets was very off-putting.

Ticket pricing was also out to lunch. The arena is so small that every seat should be considered equal and yet they range from $14 to $41. Should've just been a flat rate $20 ticket. You can make up the difference in extra ticket sales and concession sales.

End Rant lol

When the heat were 1st announced coming to abby i knew it was a bad idea...I just think that no other AHL team other then canucks prospects would work there. Any sellouts or even close to sellouts have been when the Wolves/Comets were in town.

Its a great facility and I hope they find another team or even a lower league team to come in possibly, or turn it into a reg stop for concerts.

My only real worry with the heat leaving is the future of the Jr. Heat AAA program, they had huge support from the Abbotsford Heat and was a part of its success.

Look at this image and tell me that moving our farm team to the Fraser valley makes sense for the development of our prospects.AHL-League-Map.jpg

It might make sense for fans, and possibly even for FA but moving the "comets" (or whatever they'd be called) would be terrible for player development. Having them close to Vancouver would increase the spotlight on them, and this fan-base clamoring for success would pick over everything the AHL players do. Also, see map, the closest team to the Heat right now is in, you guessed it, Iowa! This would mean more red-eye flights, and less practice time for our "future Canucks" Is this what we want?

I say leave them in Utica, let them develop outside the spotlight, and use their time for practice/development not travel.

Failed franchise, failed experiment for all parties involved, including the AHL. I cannot see Abbotsford having an AHL hockey team next year. The Vancouver Canucks will have to continue playing on the east coast, just like all the other teams.

Well it sounds like Vancouver plans on remaining committed to the Utica Comets. A year ago I really believe that the Canucks were looking for a way to move the farm to Abbotsford but the experience in Utica has been so positive that it changed some minds.

The Canucks don't sound interested, releasing a statment on Tuesday afternoon regarding the situation.

"The Vancouver Canucks are committed to our AHL affiliate, the Utica Comets and enjoy a strong relationship with our partner club. A strong base of Utica fans have shown tremendous support throughout the season and the Canucks intend to honour our long-term partnership agreement with the Comets."

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/2014/04/15/abbotsford-heat-on-the-move

IMHO it makes not sense for Van to move their AHL team to Abby. Most of this noise is simply Van fans

who might go to their games. Utica is an ideal location. Close to so many other AHL teams. Not only is

it great for travel and extra practice time but it allows Van management a great base for scouting.

If there were 3 or 4 other AHL teams out west might think other wise but that is not happening.

Seemed like Abbotsford blew it by asking too much for the Canucks to play there. Both originally, before the Heat got there, and in 2012 when the farm team was leaving Chicago.

stoooopid for them. They would have had sell-out crowds. I have relatives in Abby, and they have more car flags, and fans wearing jerseys there, when the Canucks make the playoffs, on a per-capita basis, than Vancouver. I certainly would have gone to a few games down there to see how the prospects are coming along.

that said, its probably better for the actual team to be located more in the region where all the other AHL teams are. Also easier travel for call-ups.

I always loathed the Heat slogan, "Our town, Our team" It was up on all the street lamps on the main roads. Abbotsford is not a town, it's a city. The largest "town" in BC has 13,000 people whereas we have 130,000.

Also, getting calls upon calls from Abbotsford Heat staff trying to sell tickets was very off-putting.

Ticket pricing was also out to lunch. The arena is so small that every seat should be considered equal and yet they range from $14 to $41. Should've just been a flat rate $20 ticket. You can make up the difference in extra ticket sales and concession sales.

End Rant lol

Abbotsford is a big town. Not a small city.

Archived