The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[BOXING]Related discussion here!

Angry Goose

Wow very surprised by this.

Floyd did not look like himself.

I personally called it a draw. Maidana clearly looked like he was dominating but you have to look at the numbers. Percentage wise Floyd owned him.

Maidana threw a lot but not much of it landed. Regardless, I think we can all say it was a lot closer than anyone expected.

Definitely and yea, first time really seeing Floyd like he was today. Seemed very uncomfortable at first but regained his composure near the mid rounds and from there took back the fight.

Wow very surprised by this.

Floyd did not look like himself.

I personally called it a draw. Maidana clearly looked like he was dominating but you have to look at the numbers. Percentage wise Floyd owned him.

Maidana threw a lot but not much of it landed. Regardless, I think we can all say it was a lot closer than anyone expected.

his age is showing, his legs didn't look right to me.

his age is showing, his legs didn't look right to me.

I don't think that's the case fully. Sure age is a factor to everyone cause everyone is technically 'aging' but can't take this one fight and assume that. His last fights he looked incredible plus his conditioning and stamina was on par as it was today.

Maybe the cut factored in. First time he's had it and it must of cause some dizziness/blurriness for a bit and time to adjust to it. Think moreso it was Maidana fighting so well for the first few rounds. Never gave Floyd space to punch and pushed him to the ropes and contained him.

Edited by TheRussianRocket™

I don't think that's the case fully. Sure age is a factor to everyone cause everyone is technically 'aging' but can't take this one fight and assume that. His last fights he looked incredible plus his conditioning and stamina was on par as it was today.

Maybe the cut factored in. First time he's had it and it must of cause some dizziness/blurriness for a bit and time to adjust to it. Think moreso it was Maidana fighting so well for the first few rounds. Never gave Floyd space to punch and pushed him to the ropes and contained him.

He said that he couldn't see for two rounds when he got the cut, and I don't know man this fight was supposed to be easy, instead it was a competitive fight! From a guy that calls himself TBE I expected a better performance than that, I thought it would be a one sided 12 round decision for Floyd.

This fight showed how you can beat Floyd. You got to be a pressure fighter, with speed (hand and feet) and power, always have lateral movement and pretty much pressure him into the ropes. I think that Pacquiao, Thurman, Lara, Khan and maybe even Porter can beat Mayweather at this point. Man I'm just disappointed in his performance. Credits to Maidana

Edited by CANUCK-EXPRESS

Floyd won. Any boxing fan from a neutral point would tell you he did. I'm a Floyd fan but not a homer. I know there's been controversy before and stuff but this match was called correctly.

Maidana won rounds: 1, 2, 4, 5, 11

Floyd won rounds: 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12

If anything, should've been a draw but no way Maidana won. Either Floyd or a draw and in this case they got it right. But then again I always say never leave it to the judges to decide just to be safe and still don't get why they have 12 rounds. Like they want draws. Make it an odd number like 13; that way there's always a winner and loser.

Until he fights Pacman, he will never be TBE...

Battle of fighters past their prime???

C'mon.....those days are over.

lol those days are far from over. As long as they both are still boxing, it is fight waiting to happen. I would argue both are even past their prime, Mayweather clearly still the best based on his record.

But once both retire, Boxing will be going down with them.

Mayweather looked like he wasn't even trying this fight, he fought differenty, dropped his hands several times and seemed like he was just trying to get out of there with a win playing very defensive after rounds 5-6. He isn't "done" or on the "decline" this was an off fight. Nonetheless he clearly deserved the win.

Just finished watching Mayweather/Maidana, and I had the fight 117-113 in favour of Mayweather. If I was being lenient I might have gave Maidana an extra round or two, but clearly Mayweather won. Overall, it was a good fight but I didn't see it that close at all. Anyone who had it a draw or even close to that confuses me (feel free to elaborate). If Maidana was able to hurt May or slow him down I might have viewed the fight differently, but IMO Mayweather looked strong, paced himself well and just waited for the right moments to land good clean counter shots and some great lead right hands. Basically fought the same way he always does: smart, effective and relying on his superb defense and counter punching.

I'll watch the rest of the undercard next

Edited by Kola Nuts

myhing spectacular. Adrien Broner didn't look impressive, he's still the same flat footed fighter and I thought Khan was very impressive in his first fight at 147

When Broner walks opponents down he usually fights in his "flat footed" style but I don't think that should be a knock against him as a boxer.

Floyd has the better record over Pacman and especially the last few fights as Pacman lost. If anything Manny has to fight Pacman and not the other way around.

Fight Mayweather you mean? IMO I wouldn't even be that excited by a Paquiao/May fight. Manny seems to have slown down a bit and it wouldn't be a real contest without seeing Manny fight in his prime. I think May wins no problem just like his other recent fights.

Edited by Kola Nuts

Mayweather got worked by a C + fighter in maidana. Hopes of him fighting pacquiao is now slim to none.

If he gets bruised and worked up by a slow flat footed guy like maidana, imagine what pacquiao would do to him.

He thought maidana would be a very easy fight but after 12 rounds, maidana's face looks like he just got back from a vacation.

Floyd is smart. He will keep avoiding pac now and not risk losing his zero. A past his prime pacman would still dominate floyd mayweather if he ever mans up but he'll probably just rematch maidana but requires him to use an even bigger size gloves next time. Then he'll fight khan and call it a career without fighting pacquiao.

Edited by keslercrosby

Mayweather got worked by a C + fighter in maidana. Hopes of him fighting pacquiao is now slim to none.

If he gets bruised and worked up by a slow flat footed guy like maidana, imagine what pacquiao would do to him.

He thought maidana would be a very easy fight but after 12 rounds, maidana's face looks like he just got back from a vacation.

Floyd is smart. He will keep avoiding pac now and not risk losing his zero. A past his prime pacman would still dominate floyd mayweather if he ever mans up but he'll probably just rematch maidana but requires him to use an even bigger size gloves next time. Then he'll fight khan and call it a career without fighting pacquiao.

Floyd, for what ever reason simply did not put up his best.

There is no way 6 months from a completely dominating performance against an A fighter changed his ability.

Athletes of his caliber don't slow down that quick.

He clearly just had an off fight. Be it his relationship issues that recently caused drama or his super late night nocturnal behavior.

I'm sure he comes back way stronger in the rematch.

There is no way 6 months from a completely dominating performance against an A fighter changed his ability.

He clearly just had an off fight. Be it his relationship issues that recently caused drama or his super late night nocturnal behavior.

I think in a rematch Floyd will destroy Maidana, like he did in his rematch against Castillo, however I don't believe that he had an off night because of his relationship, it's just the fact that Maidana's gameplan and style surprised Floyd. Punches coming from weird angles and his game plan which was to bully Floyd show no respect, get him on the ropes and do your dirty work and he was cut for the very first time in his pro career and it managed to close which is unbelievable.

I watched the same fight you guys did, and didn't see Maidana even close to being in the same competition as Floyd. No different than the same thing Mayweather did to Canelo. Mayweather used his superior boxing and superb conditioning as a 37 year old to beat a tough competitor who everyone thought had the most difficult style to contend with (clearly he didn't) and that is in superb shape as any serious fighter facing Floyd would be. Yeah Maidana threw a ton of punches early on, but hardly any of it hit, and the few shots that did didn't damage Floyd (his cut was from a glove not punch) but hey this is boxing and you are going to get hit. I thought Floyd used his style well against a very good pressure fighter- no?

EDIT: worse spelling/grammer ever

I think in a rematch Floyd will destroy Maidana, like he did in his rematch against Castillo, however I don't believe that he had an off night because of his relationship, it's just the fact that Maidana's gameplan and style surprised Floyd. Punches coming from weird angles and his game plan which was to bully Floyd show no respect, get him on the ropes and do your dirty work and he was cut for the very first time in his pro career and it managed to close which is unbelievable.

But hardly anything hit. The judges who scored the fight way in favor of Floyd saw it the same way. Maidana kept trying to land an overhand right and surprise surprise Floyd ducked the majority of them. I still think Cotto gave Floyd a tougher fight and Judah for the first 5 rounds definitely.

Edited by Kola Nuts

Maidana had Floyd on the ropes a lot in the early rounds but if you look closely nothing really landed. Marcos got him with one of those overhand rights early (which didn't seem to affect Floyd) and he kept trying that over and over and over again. As the fight went on Floyd figured out Maidana's attempt with that wild overhand right, and dodged it everytime.

It wasn't Floyd's best performance and he knew it by the disappointing look on his face post fight, but he definitely won. Marcos is a brawler and him always coming forward made him look like the aggressor, but Floyd landed the better punches

EDIT: amen Kola Nuts, glad someone saw the same fight as me

Edited by Baercheese