The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[BOXING]Related discussion here!

Angry Goose

9 hours ago, HI5 said:

Many pundits picking Deontay Wilder by KO for the rematch tonight. But I gotta stick with the Gypsy King tonight; I like both fighters but Tyson Fury a tad more.

Both fighters carrying a lot more weight than their previous fight as well.

First Fight:

Wilder: 215.5lbs

Fury: 256.5lbs

Second Fight: 

Wilder: 231lbs

Fury: 273lbs

I believe Wilder weighed in even less in first fight (212). 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, EoH said:

Dominating win by Fury.

I read somewhere on Twitter that Wilder was fighting a bunch of people that were not really considered to be ‘anything great’, and how the league/camp was trying to protect Wilder by not giving him contenders in the top 10, or how they refused to unify the belts.

Apparently the fight with Fury was suppose to be also a ‘easy’ match considering Fury was coming to the fight out of shape and just finished battled depression and substance abuse. Just it never happened and Fury held his own resulting in another match. 

Pretty much the status quo for any prize fighter is to keep them from fighting the top competition. They make so much money even against lesser opponents. Its not like the UFC where a few losses doesn't mean much on a fighter's record. For boxers, 2-3 losses really marks the end of their reign. 

12 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Not a fan of the headlocks and wrestling by Fury but the better boxer won. Just like in the first fight between them. 

Does Fury further solidify his #1 status by fighting AJ next? 

Me neither, but it made so much sense given the size mismatch between the two. Fury wore Wilder down in many ways, but the stuff in between the punches certainly helped. 

On 2/25/2020 at 7:17 AM, Silky mitts said:

Once wilder's ear was popped it was over. His legs were so wobbly with no equilibrium 

His balance has always been shaky at best, dating back as an amateur.  But with his height/power advantage it makes up for his poor defense/piss poor inside work.  

I don't see him winning a third fight against Fury, if Fury stays on top of him.

Edited by SILLY GOOSE

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2020 at 1:41 PM, SILLY GOOSE said:

Man Wilder's defense (and overall technique) is so shaky and it got exposed pretty good v Fury.

Lennox Lewis in his prime would have obliterated him.  

I think most of the great heavyweights from years past easily beat both these guys.  Neither is really that good.  Real down time for the heavyweights.  Kind if like when Spinks was on top.  Just meh fighters right now.  Look at that Ruiz guy!  Seriously!  He’s top five?  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Caleb Plants last fight was dominant.  Wonder if we'll ever see an Alvarez / Plant fight down the road

Rumours had it Canelo vs Billy Joe Saunders, not sure if confirmed yet..but this could be a tricky match up for Canelo.

23 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Rumours had it Canelo vs Billy Joe Saunders, not sure if confirmed yet..but this could be a tricky match up for Canelo.

Yeah I noticed it's in the works.  Would be a good watch.

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think most of the great heavyweights from years past easily beat both these guys.  Neither is really that good.  Real down time for the heavyweights.  Kind if like when Spinks was on top.  Just meh fighters right now.  Look at that Ruiz guy!  Seriously!  He’s top five?  

Yep. I don't see much to get stoked on in the division-been that way for the last decade at least.  I guess the klitschkos we're good but still wasn't a great division during their run.  Now the welterweight division is deep, just gotta get some decent match ups set up. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Yeah I noticed it's in the works.  Would be a good watch.

Yep. I don't see much to get stoked on in the division-been that way for the last decade at least.  I guess the klitschkos we're good but still wasn't a great division during their run.  Now the welterweight division is deep, just gotta get some decent match ups set up. 

Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Tommy Hearns, Roberto Duran and a couple others made fir a fabulous middleweight division fir a while.  Maybe the best class of boxers ever? 

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Tommy Hearns, Roberto Duran and a couple others made fir a fabulous middleweight division fir a while.  Maybe the best class of boxers ever? 

All great fighters.  I would add James Toney to that list. Was probably my favorite growing up

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...