The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[BOXING]Related discussion here!

Angry Goose

The judges were more in favour of Floyd and they always will be, there was a lot of close round because maidana over worked Floyd but Floyd landed the cleaner shots or would come back with counter punching combos himself, however if they didn't favour the fight would be a draw or a close win for either guys not 117-111 and 116-112 the 2 judges got just my opinion

Edited by CANUCK-EXPRESS

The judges were more in favour of Floyd and they always will be, there was a lot of close round because maidana over worked Floyd but Floyd landed the cleaner shots or would come back with counter punching combos himself, however if they didn't favour the fight would be a draw or a close win for either guys not 117-111 and 116-112 the 2 judges got just my opinion

Sometimes fights like these can be tough to call. Those close rounds, IMO, came down to who had the better overall round. Although Maidana threw a lot and was aggressively coming forward, Mayweather's superb defense stopped most of it. But if Floyd wasn't landing clean counter shots like his left hook or right upper, many of the rounds could have gone in favor of Maidana by virtue of how hard he was working. Really, the first 5 rounds were the most difficult for Floyd, but I thought he handled himself well. Guys like Maidana are tough to fight because they can take a beating and just don't stop coming at you, but Floyd executed just like he needed to, and I'm surprised how little he got hit. Seeing the James Toney stuff on the ropes was great- quick, short punches.

I watched the same fight you guys did, and didn't see Maidana even close to being in the same competition as Floyd. No different than the same thing Mayweather did to Canelo. Mayweather used his superior boxing and superb conditioning as a 37 year old to beat a tough competitor who everyone thought had the most difficult style to contend with (clearly he didn't) and that is in superb shape as any serious fighter facing Floyd would be. Yeah Maidana threw a ton of punches early on, but hardly any of it hit, and the few shots that did didn't damage Floyd (his cut was from a glove not punch) but hey this is boxing and you are going to get hit. I thought Floyd used his style well against a very good pressure fighter- no?

I am in no way doubting Floyd as the winner here, but it was a lot closer than I expected.

No way do I see it as dominating as the Canelo fight. The Canelo fight was about as perfect a fight as possible and Canelo was just outclassed and could not do anything the whole fight.

I understand it seemed closer than it may have been because Maidana was the aggressor, threw more punches ect ect when in fact a lot did not land.

However, taking that into consideration, his game plan did give Floyd some trouble. There is no denying the concerning body language Floyd was showing throughout the fight especially at the end when decision was being announced.

He was unsure himself. Regardless, rematch he brings a better game plan and it won't look this close.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Marquez vs Alvarado today! have you guys seen Marquez?? He's sooo skinny compared to his last two fights and he has chest acne! It's one of the signs of steroid use so I've heard! I don't know about you guys but it's kind off suspicious. Anyways I got Marquez winning on points if not a late stoppage, Alvarado is a Taylor made fighter for Marquez comes forward with no head movement and has no footwork easy win for Marquez unless his age caught up with him.

Edited by CANUCK-EXPRESS

Marquez vs Alvarado today! have you guys seen Marquez?? He's sooo skinny compared to his last two fights and he has chest acne! It's one of the signs of steroid use so I've heard! I don't know about you guys but it's kind off suspicious. Anyways I got Marquez winning on points if not a late stoppage, Alvarado is a Taylor made fighter for Marquez comes forward with no head movement and has no footwork easy win for Marquez unless his age caught up with him.

JMM possibly using steroids is nothing new. Remember back when JMM KO'd Pacman and Erik Morales tweeted "the Mexican pharmacy was better"! haha

Hey people, don't want to sound like a racist but there hasn't been too many mexican fighters that I've been a fan of (even Dela Hoya). Definitely has been a ton of tough as nails mexican boxers but I've never been too keen on, I guess over generalizing here, their pressure style of boxing. Anyone here big on the current generation of Mexican fighters?

Ever since Marquez hired Heredia it seems like he has found the fountain of youth..... The guy looked better than most 20+ yr olds when he at 40... and that new found power at 40 that knocked out Pac raised suspicions.

Wasn't Marquez the guy using plaster on his wraps for a fight about 5 years back?

nope, the person you're talking about is Margarito. When he got caught against mosely he lost via tko and then he faced pacquiao and got the sh*t beat out of him for 12 rounds, broke his orbital bone and haven't seen him since.

nope, the person you're talking about is Margarito. When he got caught against mosely he lost via tko and then he faced pacquiao and got the sh*t beat out of him for 12 rounds, broke his orbital bone and haven't seen him since.

Yeah he then got his ass handed to him by Cotto for nine rounds the next year and he was unable to continue due to eye swelling.

Edited by DarthNinja

He can't beat up anyone if he doesn't have his weapon which is the plaster

Funny how that works because he wrecked Cotto in the 11th their first fight with the plaster but it was still close up to that point.

And everyone just thought Margarito just has sick power! I believe it was actually Nazim Richardson who busted him with the hand wraps before the Mosley fight and Margarito had to re-wrap his hands 3 times for that fight!.

EDIT:

Max Kellerman: "The $64K question...what did his (Margarito's) punches feel like in this fight compared to the first fight?"

Miguel Cotto: "I'm still awake right now...I'm still standing, that's all I will say"

LOL

Edited by DarthNinja

• 3 weeks later...