The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[BOXING]Related discussion here!

Angry Goose

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was a bit put off by his entrance to the ring - being carried on a throne, wearing a crown.  Especially since he hadn't really won anything yet.  But good luck to the young guy - should be interesting to see how he fares.

****************************************************************************************************************************************

https://www.si.com/boxing/2021/01/04/ryan-garcia-campbell-knockout-boxing-future-title-fight?suid=5cc1babffc942d7988391785&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SI Extra 010421&utm_term=SI Extra - USE THIS - List

A good night for Garcia. A great night for boxing. It’s not hyperbolic to suggest that Garcia is potentially the most important fighter of this generation. Only a handful of boxers in recent years have magnetized fan bases. Oscar De La Hoya supercharged an emerging Latino market. Floyd Mayweather attracted a strong urban audience. Garcia’s power comes from his social media presence, highlighted by nearly eight million followers on Instagram, most being introduced to boxing by Garcia.

That power will only grow. The 135-pound weight class is loaded. Garcia doesn’t have a world title, but his popularity makes him the division’s most appealing opponent. Some 6,000 fans trickled into American Airlines Center, a COVID capacity sellout. DAZN, the streaming service broadcasting the fight, chose Garcia-Campbell as the unofficial launch of its global service. Highlights of Garcia’s win was one of the top trending videos on YouTube over the weekend.

• 2 months later...

Oscar is coming back.

Gonna be part of that silly fight club thingy. I think he wants a mma guy with a name that he can beat like that you tuber is trying to do.

Suppose we are inching towards celeb death match stuff.

Edited by bishopshodan

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Hoping it's lights out for Saunders.  

I'm surprised at how frequently Canelo is fighting.  December 19th, February 27th and now May 8th.

They're expecting a crowd of 60-70 thousand at AT&T Stadium on Saturday.

https://www.ringtv.com/621423-canelo-alvarez-billy-joe-saunders-expected-to-break-att-stadiums-boxing-attendance-record/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I'm surprised at how frequently Canelo is fighting.  December 19th, February 27th and now May 8th.

They're expecting a crowd of 60-70 thousand at AT&T Stadium on Saturday.

https://www.ringtv.com/621423-canelo-alvarez-billy-joe-saunders-expected-to-break-att-stadiums-boxing-attendance-record/

I read somewhere that he wants to  five times in 2021.  

Wish we could see more from the top welterweights

• Like 1

Possibly the greatest boxer in history is chasing around a 24 year old punk youtuber.. lol hilarious.. like him or dislike him, but

Jake Paul is a genius marketer..

UFC now and Canelo vs Saunders later..

great tv viewing tonight for fight fans..

18 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Possibly the greatest boxer in history is chasing around a 24 year old punk youtuber.. lol hilarious.. like him or dislike him, but

Jake Paul is a genius marketer..

UFC now and Canelo vs Saunders later..

great tv viewing tonight for fight fans..

Personally I'm kinda into it.  Old man Mayweather vs some trash talking you tube phenoms.  Should make for a fun watch.  

Canelo very dominant vs Saunders.  Those LH counters to the body must have hurt.   Kind of wish he had a bit more respect when it came to Mayweather in their prime tho.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Angry Goose said:

Personally I'm kinda into it.  Old man Mayweather vs some trash talking you tube phenoms.  Should make for a fun watch.  

Canelo very dominant vs Saunders.  Those LH counters to the body must have hurt.   Kind of wish he had a bit more respect when it came to Mayweather in their prime tho.  

Not to mention the hits to the head.  

A reported fractured orbital bone?  That sounds very painful.

11 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Not to mention the hits to the head.  

A reported fractured orbital bone?  That sounds very painful.

Oh I didn't know that-ouch.  

Towards the end Canelo had a nice side step uppercut I really liked.  Overall an impressive fight by CA.  Good strategy and just broke Saunders down.  

I watched the heated clip of Demitri Andrade in the post fight presser.  That's a fight I'd like to see happen.

1 hour ago, Angry Goose said:

Oh ya I'll be watching Mayweather exhibition vs Logan Paul.. its fun although nothing serious.. 

Can't believe it. UFC pays some of their champion belt holders only cpl hundred thousand dollars.. these youtubers making millions in exhibition boxing fights lol..

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Oh I didn't know that-ouch.  

Towards the end Canelo had a nice side step uppercut I really liked.  Overall an impressive fight by CA.  Good strategy and just broke Saunders down.  

I watched the heated clip of Demitri Andrade in the post fight presser.  That's a fight I'd like to see happen.

Ya that punch towards end of round 8 fractured Saunders' orbital bone. Canelo knew right away and knew Saunders wouldn't be coming out for next round..

“Saunders set to have surgery today on multiple fractures to his orbital bone, a complete blowout, known as a quadripod fracture. Brutal injury.”

He's a big mouth. This is the video he posted a while back when Dubois had an orbital bone fracture (same injury) in a fight and didn't come out for next round..

Karma is a bitch...

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya that punch towards end of round 8 fractured Saunders' orbital bone. Canelo knew right away and knew Saunders wouldn't be coming out for next round..

“Saunders set to have surgery today on multiple fractures to his orbital bone, a complete blowout, known as a quadripod fracture. Brutal injury.”

He's a big mouth. This is the video he posted a while back when Dubois had an orbital bone fracture (same injury) in a fight and didn't come out for next round..

Karma is a bitch...

I can't figure out what he's trying to say in this clip.

At one moment he seems to be saying the only way to leave a fight is on a stretcher - implying that this other boxer should have continued fighting with an eye injury.

But then he seems to say it'll take a long, long time to come back from this injury, acknowledging that it's a very serious injury.

In any event, loud mouth or not, I hope this injury does no permanent damage to the man.

43 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I can't figure out what he's trying to say in this clip.

At one moment he seems to be saying the only way to leave a fight is on a stretcher - implying that this other boxer should have continued fighting with an eye injury.

But then he seems to say it'll take a long, long time to come back from this injury, acknowledging that it's a very serious injury.

In any event, loud mouth or not, I hope this injury does no permanent damage to the man.

No he's saying it'll take a long time to come back "from that " meaning from quitting. He's talking about Dubois..

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

No he's saying it'll take a long time to come back "from that " meaning from quitting. He's talking about Dubois..

Yes.  I've seen a further quote from Saunders.  It's surprising how saying some things can come back to bite you.  Wonder if Dubois had anything to tweet in response?

******************************************************************************************

https://www.si.com/boxing/2021/05/09/canelo-alvarez-billy-joe-saunders-three-questions

Saunders's injury is legitimate: He spent the night in the hospital and is scheduled to undergo surgery to repair multiple fractures to his orbital bone, according to his promoter, Eddie Hearn. The brash Saunders, however, invites criticism. He has ripped fighters for what he has perceived as quitting. Last year, he criticized heavyweight contender Daniel Dubois, who allowed himself to be counted out after Joe Joyce broke Dubois’s orbital bone—the exact injury Saunders is believed to have.

“If my two eye sockets were broken, my jaw was broken, my teeth were out, my nose was smashed, my brain was beaten, I was not stopping until I was knocked out or worse,” Saunders said last year. “I don’t agree with a man taking the knee and letting the ref count him out.”

• 2 weeks later...