The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which prospect is most likely to fall out of top 5?

Nessnuck27

I think Draisaitl will get picked up before he falls to us. The size and point production despite a huge talent deficit on his team will be tough to pass up. Reinhart and Ekblad are too highly-touted to drop. Dal Colle is having a hell of a playoff run.

Then, it requires a team getting seduced by Ritchie's size or taking a shot on Nylander or Virtanen (no, not Ehlers).

Bennett falling to us would be amazing but I think it would be very unlikely that any of the top 5 drop.

I personally would rather take Jake Virtanen over both of them. Dras is really slow and Virtanen imo is a more complete player then Dal Colle. I think Virtanen is more nhl ready then the both of them.

Virtanen is not a more complete player than Dal Colle and calling Draisaitl really slow means you've never watched him play. He's not the fastest but he still gets around the ice and does what he's supposed to do. I guess you don't want a player like Kopitar, because Kopitar is slow?

Don't forget that Draisatl had a poor performance at the World Juniors too. Would not surprise me at all if he fell.

Six points in six games with absolutely pitiful linemates is a poor performance? Don't forget he was an underager for the world juniors (U20).

We will trade down to the 30th spot and NJ gives us Cory Schneider. And then Ekblad will release a statement saying the only team he will play for is the Canucks. The canucks tank next season and draft Mcdavid. Stanley cups for the next 15 years while Alberta fans only dream about making the playoffs

I think there will be a trade by one of the teams that currently holds a top 5 picks in this draft.

To who and for what. All the teams holding top 5 are basically in rebuild mode (or in needs of talent). Only team that MIGHT do the trade is probably Oilers,maybe NYI, but very slim chances.

To who and for what. All the teams holding top 5 are basically in rebuild mode (or in needs of talent). Only team that MIGHT do the trade is probably Oilers,maybe NYI, but very slim chances.

Oilers could think about a top two defenseman under 24 I'm sure.

Virtanen is not a more complete player than Dal Colle and calling Draisaitl really slow means you've never watched him play. He's not the fastest but he still gets around the ice and does what he's supposed to do. I guess you don't want a player like Kopitar, because Kopitar is slow?

Six points in six games with absolutely pitiful linemates is a poor performance? Don't forget he was an underager for the world juniors (U20).

You can disagree with me all you would like. IMO Virtanen has a more complete game. I have watched them both play. Virtanen is quicker, he drives to the net, hes physical, and he has a way better shot then both those players. From what Ive seen of Dal Colle hes good no doubt but if you compare their play to current current nhl players Virtanen looks a lot more nhl rdy.

Dal Colle may be better defensively and in that way a more complete player but Virtanen is imo more NHL rdy and can make a impact a lot sooner. (That doesnt even take into consideration hes skill ceiling which is really high given the impact he has made as a 17 year old.) I bet Dal Colle will end up in Calgary and we will land Virtanen.

Virtanen imo is the type of player the ducks would want. I think if he continues he could possibly be a Perry type player. Is that a fair assessment. (question mark)

** My question mark is broken lol need to restart **

My guess would be Sam Bennett.

Draft will go something like this

Florida- ekblad

Buffalo- Reinhart

Edmonton- draisaitl

Calgary- Ritchie

New York - dal colle

Vancouver- Sam Bennett

My guess is:

Florida- Ekblad

Buffalo- Bennett or Reinhart

Edmonton- Reinhart or Bennett

Calgary- Dal Colle

New York - Draisaitl, Ehlers, or Virtanen

Vancouver- Virtanen

I think the biggest question mark is the New York Islanders. They will probably want someone who is nhl rdy who can step into a top 6 role and grow on the fly.
I hope Virtanen lands in Van.

I really don't see the Islanders keeping their pick. If you look at their roster, they are going to be absolutely atrocious next year. I'm a big Islanders fan, so I'm not saying this with bias, they are terrible. Their defense is much worse without MacDonald, and the free agent list is virtually non-existent. Who knows what's going to happen with Nabakov, but he's not in his prime anymore, and the top free agent goaltenders (Miller, Elliot, Halak, Hiller) would not make them much better, due to their weak defensive unit. In the end, I believe they will forfit their pick to Buffalo this year. Now, would Buffalo be will to part with their "most likely" 5th overall pick for a defenseman, forward, and a pick (ie: Tanev, Booth, 3rd rounder)?

You can disagree with me all you would like. IMO Virtanen has a more complete game. I have watched them both play. Virtanen is quicker, he drives to the net, hes physical, and he has a way better shot then both those players. From what Ive seen of Dal Colle hes good no doubt but if you compare their play to current current nhl players Virtanen looks a lot more nhl rdy.

Dal Colle may be better defensively and in that way a more complete player but Virtanen is imo more NHL rdy and can make a impact a lot sooner. (That doesnt even take into consideration hes skill ceiling which is really high given the impact he has made as a 17 year old.) I bet Dal Colle will end up in Calgary and we will land Virtanen.

Virtanen imo is the type of player the ducks would want. I think if he continues he could possibly be a Perry type player. Is that a fair assessment. (question mark)

** My question mark is broken lol need to restart **

Both players should rightfully play in the CHL again next year so more NHL ready is a mute point. And no, Virtanen will be nowhere near the calibre of player Perry is.

Dal Colle is the one we should be hoping falls to us.

Everyone is underestimating his abilities. He's a top line 40 goal scorer who's good defensively, and prides himself on his 2 way game.

6'2 and still finding his game. I'd much rather have a him and watch him develop into a superstar than have Virtanen who's physically close to his NHL size already.

Just my opinion though.

Both are good players, but Dal Colle's ceiling and basement are higher than Virtanen's.

I personally would rather take Jake Virtanen over both of them. Dras is really slow and Virtanen imo is a more complete player then Dal Colle. I think Virtanen is more nhl ready then the both of them.

Jake Virtanen is big, speedy, has arguably the best shot in the draft and is great at driving to the net and being physical. Local kid to boot.

If Linden wants character Jake Virtanen has character.

Did I mention Virtanen is only 17.... imagine him in one year. Best player that will be avail without a doubt imo.

I agree that Virtanen may possibly have one of the best big league shots in this draft, however, he is too one dimensional who doesn't use his linemates very well. He's a steamroller on skates who's dangerous if there isn't any defenders on him. Personally, seeing a bunch of his goals on YouTube, there's no ways that he's giving those easy scoring opportunity at the pro level. IMO, Dal Colle is a better option than Virtanen.

Dal Colle is the one we should be hoping falls to us.

Everyone is underestimating his abilities. He's a top line 40 goal scorer who's good defensively, and prides himself on his 2 way game.

6'2 and still finding his game. I'd much rather have a him and watch him develop into a superstar than have Virtanen who's physically close to his NHL size already.

Just my opinion though.

Both are good players, but Dal Colle's ceiling and basement are higher than Virtanen's.

Agreed, I've been hoping we'd have a shot at him all year. We would be extremely lucky to him fall to us, but I think if someone were to drop a spot it would be Draisaitl(whom I'd be almost equally thrilled to get).

I think the top 5 will remain Ek, Reinhart, Bennett, Draisatl, DC. I think Ritchie, Ehlers, Nylander should all be available when the Canucks pick. Out of my top 5 I think DC has the highest chance of dropping from the top 5. I really can't see the Flames and Oilers passing on the two centers and the top 2 will remain Ek/Reinhart. Which leaves the Isles and they will have a choice of wingers to select. .

Also OP Bennett falling out the top 5 is wishful thinking, he won't fall below 3.

I am afraid this is probably right.

Assuming the top 5 go as expected, the Canucks can make a risky pick -- a small skilled forward like Ehlers or Nylander who might be a scoring star or might not be effective at the NHL level. Or they can make a safe pick like Ritchie or Vertanen or Perlini -- a guy who can certainly help the team in a couple of years and is almost certain to be a solid 2nd liner. But right now the Canucks need potential first liners with the Sedins aging.

Horvat, Gaunce, and Fox all look like potential 2nd or 3rd liners. Shinkaruk has a chance to be a first liner but is obviously still high risk. Cassels had a good year but is a longshot to even make the NHL. And Jensen has not shown he can be first liner yet. He is still a longshot. Kassian is following a career trajectory that suggests he will top out as a good second liner. Who is going to play on the first line in 2 or 3 years?

this is how i see the draft going:

1. Ekblad (they need to improve next year so tallon takes the guy who is most NHL ready, they dont need anymore centers and its a little bit of a stretch to take MDC in this spot)

2. Bennet (tim murray likes guys who play with an edge and hes gone on record saying he really likes bennet)

3. Draisital (edmonton needs a big #2 center, i've listend to edmonton fans and media and this is their consensus choice)

4. Reinhart/Ritchie/Virtanen (burke is the one guy i could see going off the board by taking ritchie or virtanen but its hard to see him passing on sam reinhart, also dont think MDC is a brian burke type of player)

5. Dal Colle ( they dont need another center, if MDC is still there the take him, if burke passes on reinhart i cant see snow taking him either with all the centers he has already)

In short, people may be surprised how the draft goes, believe it or not i think if anyone one of the consensus top 5 slip down the draft it will be sam reinhart.

Archived