The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Matt Cooke suspended for 7 games

AriGold

Cookie may have played his last NHL game. The only thing I can see is a 25 game suspension or more and if he isnt banned for life I put the guy on waivers if I am the Wild.

No GM will touch him and he he sails off into the AHL sunset.

doubt it. there's a reason the guy has played over 1000 nhl games in spite of his reputation. he's a useful player.

I hope not the wild need him. Im really fearing the avs team and how good they will be for a while. They need to lose so they lose confidense people!

Cookie may have played his last NHL game. The only thing I can see is a 25 game suspension or more and if he isnt banned for life I put the guy on waivers if I am the Wild.

No GM will touch him and he he sails off into the AHL sunset.

Are you two being serious?

Thats really stupid it was more accidental and carless than anything

Cooke is a good guy he used to be great with canucks and really should be back next game

That was not accidental. He put his knee out with intention. A scumbag move by a scumbag player. If the NHL was a well run league, Matt Cooke would be permanently banned from the league.

Thats really stupid it was more accidental and carless than anything

Cooke is a good guy he used to be great with canucks and really should be back next game

If Kassian got 8 games for being accidental and careless with his stick. Cooke should get at least 12.

you cant compare the seabrook hit and this one.... the league has been trying and has been doing a great job of getting rid of kneeing injuries for a long long long time... since bryan marchment was out ripping guys knees apart .. it has been a suspendable offence for like 20 years now... these head shots head hits ect... have been what the last few years and they have changed what can and cant happen every year with the head hits.... its been 100% clear you cant stick your leg out and go knee on knee for years and years now.... we used to see it all the time and now you rarely see it because the players have learned for the most part.......i bet cooke gets around 6-8 games

not saying it's accidental but Cooke did change his ways

54 pim 2013/2014

36 pim 2012/2013

44 pim 2011/2012

129 pim 2010/2011

106 pim 2009/2010

101 pim 2008/2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Cooke

2011 Playoffs and Regular Season he ended his Season with a 10 game suspension plus 1 round and he was one of the few players that actually followed through and changed his game something Torres took a littler longer figuring out seems like he has been good in SJ

of course he has a reputation just like Torres does so anything they do people label them as a goon and should be out of hockey the point is both players are decent hockey players unlike guys like Carcillo and Cooke did go out of his way to change how he played playing all the way up until now with 0 incidents ( unless you count the Karlsson skate cut)

Exactly.

No matter what the league does here, it's BS. The league will continue to punish players like Cooke and Torres excessively while players like Brown and Lucic go relatively unpunished. For all the crap they pull, Lucic has two 1-game suspensions in his career, while Brown has one 2-game suspension. FFS, Hansen and Edler have more of a record than Lucic and Brown do. Am I supposed to believe than Hansen and Edler are dirtier players than Lucic and Brown?

Kassian has more suspensions for being an idiot than Lucic and Brown do for actually being dirty.

I suspect that Cooke will get more games than he should to balance out the suspensions that the league doesn't make, and then the league can point to the large suspensions of players like Cooke and Torres, and say 'We're watching out for player safety. Look at the huge 20 game suspension we gave Torres'.

It's BS. All of it. Pre-Shanahan, Peri-Shanahan, and Post-Shanahan.

Very well put, my thoughts exactly.

IMO, Cooke will get the balance of the 1st round.

Everyone sees that it's Matt Cooke and they lose their minds. But if that was Dustin Brown throwing that hit (like he has many MANY times before), the league wouldn't even notice. CDC would, but NHL Discipline wouldn't.

Disappointing because Matt Cooke was supposed to have really cleaned up his act lately.

It's incredibly weird that he's not considered a repeat offender, but even without repeat offender status that's a dirty enough hit to warrant a hefty suspension. I hope the NHL throws the book at him.

Exactly.

Very well put, my thoughts exactly.

IMO, Cooke will get the balance of the 1st round.

Everyone sees that it's Matt Cooke and they lose their minds. But if that was Dustin Brown throwing that hit (like he has many MANY times before), the league wouldn't even notice. CDC would, but NHL Discipline wouldn't.

I think an in person hearing means it's at least 6 games. I wonder what effect the media firestorm will have.

lets be honest here, that knee was not as bad as many other knees that we have seen, that got smaller suspensions, not to mention this is the playoffs too! More than 5 is too many, he is not a repeat offender, he hasn't been suspended in I dont know how many years. If they are going to suspend him for lets say 7 games, thats 14 regular season and thats just ridiculous.

EDIT: He didn't even stick the knee out. Of course not saying it SHOULDNT be suspended, because I am sure he knew what was happening, but he didn't go out of the way to do it, no worse at all than most kneeing incidents

Archived