The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Matt Cooke suspended for 7 games

AriGold

No accident, why was his foot turned sideways and a foot off the ice. He raises his leg trying to drive his knee into the back of the other players leg on a regular basis.

read up every single analyst and hockey expert and player it was a freak accident nothing more

he raised his leg to brace him self same as Kassian both incidents are almost damn near identical only difference is court of public opinion aganst Cooke even though he had played clean since the 2011 playoffs he cut his PIM in half after that season look it up and it continued to stay below 100 for every season since then

you know Cooke isn't the only player that knees other players probably happens once in every single game played

I'm not saying he is but it certainly happens more often with him than it does with most other players (excluding Brown).

you know Cooke isn't the only player that knees other players probably happens once in every single game played

Ignorant statement because it doesn't happen every game. The only 2 players I see it from more than once in a year is Brown and Cooke.

How is he not considered a repeat offender?

His last supplementary discipline was in 2011, so 3 years ago. Only instances within the last 18 months (going by memory of the rule, could be slightly different) are considered for repeat offender status.

There were some interesting tweets from Friedman I saw though that noted while he may not be a repeat offender, past history can still be considered and that repeat offender status was primarily for fines.

Elliotte Friedman@FriedgeHNIC Apr 21

Although Cooke has not been punished in last 18 months, NHL considers that status only relevant for fines. It believes language of CBA allows for history to factor in number of games a player can be suspended for.

That makes no sense to me since that's never been said before for any players in a similar situation, and it certainly seems to me that's played a factor in previous suspensions. Perhaps it's something Quintal is doing to enforce things a little differently with his interpretation of how the rule works?

So five games minimum?

Seems excessive.

Bad result, but not a totally unusual play.

An in person hearing gives the NHL the option to suspend for 6 or more games, but it doesn't mean they can't still suspend for less.

So Kassian should have the book thrown at him too?

No he hasnt played clean, the NHL has simply looked the other way because he played for the precious Penguins.

Feel free to share incidents that he should have been suspended for.

I don't disagree this is a bad play by a player with a history of bad plays, but he really has been much better the last 3 years. It's still a reaction (whether or not it was intentional) the NHL will punish players for because of potential for injury. He'll get a suspension for this one, likely a little harsher with his past history but nothing like 25 games or a lifetime ban.

What about when he kneed Nichushkin like a month ago?

He doesn't stick his knee out very much in that hit and actually turns sideways so that no matter how far his knee moves to his left, it's not left out in front of Nichuskin's path. I can certainly see why that wouldn't be a suspension.

He doesn't stick his knee out very much in that hit and actually turns sideways so that no matter how far his knee moves to his left, it's not left out in front of Nichuskin's path. I can certainly see why that wouldn't be a suspension.

I don't actually think it was suspension worthy. Just pointing out that he certainly has not been completely incident free in the last 3 years. He also tried to elbow Mack in the head earlier in game 3. Had a major for checking from behind on McQuaid in last years playoffs as well. That's quite a few questionable plays in the last year. His "reformed" status seems to have been a bit overstated even before the Barrie hit.

No accident, why was his foot turned sideways and a foot off the ice. He raises his leg trying to drive his knee into the back of the other players leg on a regular basis.

Is that you Dave Pratt? This argument sounds vaguely familiar to his blowhard rant this morning. And then once Crawford hung up the phone you decided to disagree with The Crow's stance on Cooke! Shame on you Pratt!

http://youtu.be/UQNM4z5HiRw

So Kassian should have the book thrown at him too?

No way kassians was on bolland he had it coming and has more coming to him screw him

But im also irritated by so much hate for x canuck matt cooke he is a good guy who stands up for his teamates plays on the edge. I dont think is suspension pretty acidental and non intention

Was a fan of Cooke when he was on the Canucks. Played hard, and was the only guy that could successfully complete a dump and chase, but I can't defend him here. His knee is leading and targeting just way too much to look un-intentional.

7 games is enough people take the damn hate blinders off the guy was playing pretty clean up until this point and the stats are there to back it up

no suspensions since 2011 playoffs

pims from 40-60 each year since 2011 where he was regularly getting 100 plus a season

he cleaned up his game bottomline and is nowhere near the same villain he once was there's plenty of other useless players like Carcillo and Scott and other 4th line goons who provide squat to the game

7 games is enough people take the damn hate blinders off the guy was playing pretty clean up until this point and the stats are there to back it up

no suspensions since 2011 playoffs

pims from 40-60 each year since 2011 where he was regularly getting 100 plus a season

he cleaned up his game bottomline and is nowhere near the same villain he once was there's plenty of other useless players like Carcillo and Scott and other 4th line goons who provide squat to the game

Archived