The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Matt Cooke suspended for 7 games

AriGold

No way kassians was on bolland he had it coming and has more coming to him screw him

But im also irritated by so much hate for x canuck matt cooke he is a good guy who stands up for his teamates plays on the edge. I dont think is suspension pretty acidental and non intention

Stands up for his teammates? The Cooke I remember stirred the pot and let May, Jovo and Brashear fight his battles. Cooke is was and always will be a gutless weasel.

This is a shame. Cooke was finally cleaning up his act. I was so happy for him, even though everyone else seemed to still hate him.

Now he's gone and undone all the hard work he did to help clear his name and change his reputation.

This is a shame. Cooke was finally cleaning up his act. I was so happy for him, even though everyone else seemed to still hate him.

Now he's gone and undone all the hard work he did to help clear his name and change his reputation.

He was only doing it to save his own skin from being kicked out of the league. Obviously he just can't help himself, a whole life of being a dangerous weasel has made him good at it.

Honestly Cooker has turned around his career so much, but I guess you just can't escape the past sometimes. People are so uptight on his past transgressions they are blind to the fact that he hasn't had a MAJOR PENALTY much less a suspension since 2011.

Careless and reckless? Absolutely

Deserving of 7 games? Not if Seabrooks hit to the head is only 4, even as a first time offender.

Let me be clear I'm not defending Cooke's actions, knee on knee hits are extremely deplorable for anybody to do. I just wait for the day where guys like Marchard/Brown are punished for it too.

That just means he hasn't been caught, or its been ignored. he's like an alligator, lays low until he gets a chance to strike.

Cooke hadn't been suspended since the 2011 season

learn the difference between accident and on purpose nobody in the NHL said what Cooke did was on purpose except for Eugene Melnyk

Maybe you should learn the difference, explain why his skate was a foot in the air turned sideways and angled forward? There is no way you would have your foot in that position unless you intended to chop down on someone.

Soooooo Aaron Rome gets 20 games for a Scott Stevens special.

Matt Cooke, who I don't hate, but have to admit is a repeat-offending, dirty player, gets 7 games?????

Seriously. Cooke charged the kid and destroyed his knee! lol. FFS.

The NHL is just hilarious. Keystone Kops.

I have been enjoying Don Cherry calling all the d-bags on their garbage though. The bit he did on Keith made me so happy.

Hey Duncan, you tough guy, how's it feel to know that Cherry thinks you're a POS who should have his block knocked off?

Back to the topic at hand. All you can do is shake your head.

So is he supposed to be the only player in the league to not hit anybody? Hockey is a spit second game, a hit can go wrong in the blink of an eye. Guys like Don Cherry don't get just how fast the game has become.

All the people saying kick him out of the game are crazy, there are far dirtier players than Cooke who have never been suspended.

Ah yes, the two wrongs make a right argument. That's one of the problems with the NHL discipline. How about they go the other way, and suspend more not less in the mythical "protect the players" PR. Hitting is one thing, Cooke has a proven track record of dirty hits that injure players. He has done hits from behind and knee on knee hits over the last few years which have not resulted in suspension (mostly as they didn't result in injuries I suspect) and that is simply an artifact of the poor process the NHL has, not any great clean up by Matt Cooke. Yes, he has done better, I'll grant him that, but this idea that he is poster child for reform is just plain wrong IMO.

Stands up for his teammates? The Cooke I remember stirred the pot and let May, Jovo and Brashear fight his battles. Cooke is was and always will be a gutless weasel.

I think it was No-nuts who said "Matt Cooke is the worst fighter in the NHL"

It was under oath in court too (Bertuzzi-Moore hearing)

dunno why some people think 7 games isn't enough, it's the playoffs. if this were the regular season then he'd probably have gotten double that if not more.

think about it, in the playoffs you play a MAX of 28 games if you go all the way. so even if the Wild do that (which they aren't) he's suspended for 25% of that, which is roughly 20 games over the regular season if you think of it that way.

Maybe you should learn the difference, explain why his skate was a foot in the air turned sideways and angled forward? There is no way you would have your foot in that position unless you intended to chop down on someone.

please look up every single player and analyst reaction to that incident

stop acting like you know anything about hockey it was determined by several experts and players and the nhl player safety that Cooke did nothing wrong

the only person who had an issue with it was Eugene Melnyk

so maybe you should learn how hockey works before commenting on the incident because you have very little to back up that Cooke did it intentionally

He was only doing it to save his own skin from being kicked out of the league. Obviously he just can't help himself, a whole life of being a dangerous weasel has made him good at it.

actually he was doing a very good job look up the stats and past history

yes he has a reputation so does Torres for his incidents the fact of the matter is Cooke did actually change his game it's a shame guys like Carcillo Scott and Avery back in his day couldn't do the same

And there's no way that wasn't intentional.

I think it was a little bit of both. You can see he has him lined up and then at the last 1/4 second Barrie darts out of the way and Cooke, I think, just reacted more than anything. It was a dirty play and deserved a suspension, but, as per usual, players need to be smarter about protecting themselves on the ice. If Barrie just braces for the hit, instead of trying to avoid it, he takes a hard hit, but continues playing.

please look up every single player and analyst reaction to that incident

stop acting like you know anything about hockey it was determined by several experts and players and the nhl player safety that Cooke did nothing wrong

the only person who had an issue with it was Eugene Melnyk

so maybe you should learn how hockey works before commenting on the incident because you have very little to back up that Cooke did it intentionally

I fear I am beginning to lose my implacable calm.

Look son, I know more about hockey than you ever will, I also haven't resorted to personal attacks or insulting your intelligence, I don't have to, your posts speak for themselves. Unlike you I see things as they are not the way I want them to be.

You believe Cooke has changed, the BS that he is sorry and never meant to hurt anyone because you WANT to believe it. I see a vicious predator who hasn't changed a bit, just learned to be a bit sneakier and less blatant about it. You can spray a skunk with all the Fabreeze you want, when you are done you still have a skunk.

Now that I have wasted more time with you than you deserve I will move you to my ignore list along with other obnoxious children who aren't worthy of my attention.

Really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J63qxwekH4

No way that is an accident. Cooke knows exactly where his leg is and is in full control of his body.

That's speculation with a hint of bias wolfman.

There is absolutely a way for it to happen by accident. I don't know how much you've played hockey but anytime I've laid a hit rarely are both of my feet planted firmly on the ice. Usually (for balance) I'm either in some weird crouching tiger or karate kid pose in which i'm sure I look like a total ass hat.

Seriously though a lot of hit we see in the nhl you will see guys with at least one skate off the ice at the point of contact; especially near the boards. As for his skate blade it isn't as if he went in wielding it like a knife. Karlssons leg also isn't a plank of wood. It bends as does Cookes legs. He certainly didn't go in with his blade at the perfect angle and his leg at the perfect height to cut Karlsson just above the skate boot. Total accident.

I can't stand cooke; not even when he was with the canucks but we can't just call everything on purpose because of his past. We still need to examine it. The guy did in fact turn his game around for a few years. I don't know wtf he was thinking the other night.

Cookes like a junkie. He stayed clean for a while and had a relapse.

I don't believe for one second that Cooke purposely meant to injure Karlsson on that play. This latest knee incident i find horrendous. He had all the time in the world to change his angle or not stick his knee out, he skated in like mad and glided into the guy with his leg out... This was an easy to avoid injury and yet Cooke went ahead. This is the kind of bs the league has to get rid of.

I don't believe for one second that Cooke purposely meant to injure Karlsson on that play. This latest knee incident i find horrendous. He had all the time in the world to change his angle or not stick his knee out, he skated in like mad and glided into the guy with his leg out... This was an easy to avoid injury and yet Cooke went ahead. This is the kind of bs the league has to get rid of.

Nah

Archived